24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bear with me while I complain. I placed an order for a .431" H&I sizing die from Midway USA and received the order four days later. No problem with this......however, upon opening the package, I discovered that the die was without an O-ring and even worse, no lift punch in the die. Also in the package was a red card asking that if there was a problem with any Lyman product, that it should be returned to Lyman CS. This card was from Lyman, not Midway. So that is what I did..........

Lyman received the die at their front desk at 9:20 AM on August 13th. I have called them twice, both times they confirmed that they had received my shipment and both times promised that I would have the complete die back in my hands by the end of that week. The second week ended last Friday and I still don't have the die in today's mail. The excuse given for the delay was that their orders are filled in the order they are received. Must be a lot of crappy products being replaced.

Over the years, I have used a lot of Lyman products and still have many on my loading bench. Probably not in the future............ Anyone else have problems with Lyman customer service or their products?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't sent any items back to Lyman so can't comment on their customer service, but in terms of their quality IMHO they are pretty much a company of last resort and aren't much better than Lee.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have encountered slow deliveries from Lyman. Not always, but sometimes. No big deal IMO.

I remember a time when any mail order transaction took 4-6 weeks, minimum. (Send in four box tops and 25¢ for shipping and handling for this Secret Decoder Ring. Please wait 4-6 weeks for delivery.) My first order to Herter's for a pile of reloading tools to get started with, in 1968, took absolutely forever to arrive- such that I had all but given up on them. Now, in this age of the internet, we have come to expect instant gratification. When it doesn't happen we get frustrated, forgetting that there are humans on both sides of the computer screen.

Patience, grasshopper!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gnoahhh, I appreciate your reply. If I had ordered one of their products from them, or something which was not in stock, you may be right about requiring patience. But it seems to me that they should bend over backwards to replace an item already bought and paid for; especially when it should not have left their place in the condition it was in in the first place. My first call was two and a half weeks after they received it. Product was in stock and delivery was promised by the end of that week. First, don't promise what you don't deliver. Second call was four weeks after they received the returned die and again they promised by the end of the week. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm more than a little agrevated......... RCBS and Redding are looking better all the time.

Last edited by lastround; 09/09/15.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Lott, I am thinking you are right about Lyman. Over the years I've accumulated several of their loading dies and bullet molds along with other items on my bench. Never sent anything back even though I probably should have. Getting ready to buy another bullet mold but I think it will come from RCBS. Theirs are a little more expensive, but I have had good experiences with their CS in the past.

Doug
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lyman molds are a lot better now than they were a generation ago, but their selection has dwindled too over the last couple of generations. The more recent up-and-comers offer a lot of selection and excellent value- companies like NOE and NEI to mention two. The last couple of molds I bought were NOE's and frankly, I love them. Would that we would have had mold makers like that around back in the 60's when I started casting. RCBS and Saeco are a couple more that deliver excellent quality, but on the other hand their selections are limited too. Lump all of them together and they pretty much have all the bases covered for our casting needs- it's just that one has to jump around between them to find the exact specific thing that one is looking for. One shouldn't limit oneself to any particular mold maker simply out of brand loyalty (not that I think you are necessarily).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, the sizing die is still not back after five weeks and two phone calls. This is getting ridiculous! Sorry, but my patience has run out...........

Doug
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Update: sizing die is back. After six and a half weeks! In stock item by their own admission. Pizz poor service. Ok, no more complaining (and no more buying).

Doug

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.