Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MossyMO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Doing a chuck roast for some pulled beef for the first cook on the Weber Smokey Joe with an EnerQ midsection making it a Mini WSM. Set the coals up snake method with some cherry chunks for smoke.

[Linked Image]
-----

Onions, carrots and garlic cloves getting some cherry smoke for making ChefJimmyJ's Au Jus.

[Linked Image]
-----

Tatonka Dust seasoned chuck roast over the onions, carrots and garlic cloves.

[Linked Image]
-----

[Linked Image]

and it is holding temp like a champ!

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking!

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cool!

MossyMO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
When the chuck roast hit an internal temp of 140º it was set in the au jus, foil covered and brought to an internal temp of 205º, this was a 9 1/2 hour cook.

[Linked Image]
-----

[Linked Image]
-----

Took the chuck roast out of the au jus and wrapped it in foil and towels for a few hour cooler rest and the au jus was refrigerated to chill to scrap the fatty juices off the top. After a few hour rest the chuck roast was sliced open and then pulled.

[Linked Image]
-----

[Linked Image]

Should make for some delicious meals and sandwiches!

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice. Never thought of putting the veggies in a pan under the meat.

Yup.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Looks great

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
That "enerQ" is pretty cool looking! Looks like a pot with the bottom cut out? You fab or buy?

Great looking beef!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
MossyMO Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Originally Posted by MadMooner
That "enerQ" is pretty cool looking! Looks like a pot with the bottom cut out? You fab or buy?

Great looking beef!

A friend surprised me making it for me, his last name is Enerson so I call it the EnerQ! The pot is a Imusa 32 quart steamer pot, had to crimp the top for the Smokey Joe lid to fit. A Vasconia 32 quart pot will work perfectly with no modifications to the top.

Originally Posted by AKduck
Very nice. Never thought of putting the veggies in a pan under the meat.

The veggies were smoked for an hour and then used to make the au jus.

ChefJimmyJ’s Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,
4-5 Carrots,
3-4 Ribs Celery
3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic
Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,
THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,
2 Tbs Tomato Paste,
1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)
1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the smoking process to the internal meat temperature you want.
While the roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt sauce pot and add 1 cup red wine, something you like to drink, and bring the au jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the au jus rest a minute or so for the fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the au jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.
The purpose of smoking the vegetables for 1 hour before adding the broth and herbs is...the smoked vegetables roast in the dry heat concentrating their flavors and sweetness giving the finished au jus a richer, deeper, full flavor.
Serve with sliced beef or thicken the au jus to make gravy.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That looks fabulous!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Every time I smoke a turkey, I put a big pan of veggies underneath it with some stock. Makes the base for an amazing smokey gravy that goes on everything.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Every time I smoke a turkey, I put a big pan of veggies underneath it with some stock. Throw in the giblets too. Makes the base for an amazing smokey gravy that goes on everything.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks damn good 👍. Yesterday bought 3 packs of (3 per package) of Turkey legs on clearance. Threw them in the freezer so I'll be smoking them tomorrow in my charcoal Smoky Mountain upright. Looking forward to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always wanted one of those extended midsections for my regular weber. Just could never justify the price. yeah I know they can be made but I already have a weber bullet.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.