Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Orville Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
the ars with the built in front sights all seem to work the same way and everybody says that all of them are about the same until you add those custom parts. There is a bushmaster for $682 on buds, and then a used colt 6720 for $849. For a used gun this is a lot. What difference does it make for a gun I want to buy for self defense scenario?

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
One's better than the other.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's like saying that all cars with four wheels work the same way. Which is true, but the quality varies greatly.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really hate referring people to "The Chart" but since you are wondering about the differences between two basic carbines, it seems appropriate.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by wareagle700; 09/09/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A high quality barrel will cost more than a low budget AR kit rifle

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

O
Orville Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
What about the palmetto? I saw one for 650 with no sites and a long forarm?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cuz one shoots more gooder than the other.

Jus Say'n

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bush is generally a Hobby gun

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this is a funny question you asked. Some of the price involves using milspec parts and the amount of testing they have to go through. there is a cost to that. The funny thing is mil spec in many cases isn't what you should want. for instance I think a chrome lined barrel is a negative, its typically less accurate. a 7 twist is too much twist for shooting the weights of bullets most guys shoot. 5.56 chamber isn't as good as a wylde, IMO.

This all used to be a lot bigger deal in the past. In the last half dozen years or so, I think ar 15 parts have come a LONG ways. There are so many good parts out there that are reasonable and work just fine. I think we me see something of a death of the high end ar 15. The parts that matter are a good barrel, trigger, and handguard. IMO the rest can be cheap palmetto ptac stuff like the BCG and the rest of the parts kit. Your average shooter will be lucky to shoot a 1000 rounds in the lifetime of the gun. If your the guy that shoots more than that I put you in the category of enthusiast and you will probably be a gun nut that is particular about each part, therefore you can change that to suit yourself.

my recommendation, just get a cheap M&P sport enjoy the gun and if you shoot it quite a bit likely you will learn what you want and don't want on your gun. then you can get something with the features you want later. some ar's are just way over priced. They do that because people don't really know any better.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Orville

A decent gun for the money. That said, another $150 would put you on a Colt 6920!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Orville

A decent gun for the money. That said, another $150 would put you on a Colt 6920!

yeah but the colt is over priced and has the features of a basic gun. The only thing it has going for it is the supposed advantage of milspec. again if you shoot the gun enough to need mil spec parts, your an enthusiast, if your an enthusiast are you happy with a gritty mil spec trigger? are you happy with a clam shell non free floated handguard? what about a pinned front site? plain collapsible stock? no your going to want all those things changed out. so in that case I say just buy a cheaper gun. OR spend even more money and get what you need or better yet build it like you want it.

IMO the best value in AR's if you want a gun that works, and will probably outshoot most of the expensive guns is a rock river.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You sure use a lot of words to just be wrong.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
You sure use a lot of words to just be wrong.
I forgot the memo about you knowing everything, is that short enough grin

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
yeah but the colt is over priced and has the features of a basic gun.

I don't think they are over priced at all. Considering the extra testing that goes into them I think they are a bargain at the prices they are selling for these days.

if you shoot the gun enough to need mil spec parts, your an enthusiast,

No, I'm a person that wants to know that I have every advantage on my side should I ever need to use the weapon for it's intended purpose.

again if you shoot the gun enough to need mil spec parts, your an enthusiast, if your an enthusiast are you happy with a gritty mil spec trigger?

Yes, I am.

are you happy with a clam shell non free floated handguard?

Yes, I like mine very well.

what about a pinned front site? plain collapsible stock?

I wouldn't want mine any other way.

no your going to want all those things changed out.

No, I left mine like it came from the factory.

so in that case I say just buy a cheaper gun. OR spend even more money and get what you need or better yet build it like you want it.

Buy a cheaper gun to defend your family, your life, your property? Not me. I want proven reliability and not gimmicks when it comes to these things. Keep in mind, the OP clearly stated he wanted the rifle for self defense not a paper punching/ hunting rifle.

Am I happy with my Colt 6920 just like it is? Pretty much. The only thing I changed on mine was to add a 14.5" barrel on it. BTW, it's a Colt factory barrel.

[Linked Image]

I have another AR-15 with all kinds of aftermarket stuff on it but the one I trust with my life says Colt on the side of it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've owned Colts, BPM, BM, PSA, RRA, Double Star, Essential Arms...I think that's it.
Only the Colt remains.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
worship at the all mighty alter of mil spec all you want.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I only worship at one alter and it's not a gunmakers. Got it?

I will trust my life to a Colt though.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm wrapping up my first build. Hopefully I'll get to stick up a crappy pic or two when work settles down a bit.

I'm just slightly amazed at how much you CAN spend building something that everyone else will tell you they just spent $600.00 on. They even got spendy with the $30.00 red dot.

It's the same thing....don'tcha know..... whistle

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Clueless.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well I've never shot one with Colt on the side, but I'm sure they're real nice. I bought a plain old Stag. I can tell you it shoots just as good as my brother in laws Daniel Defense and costs about a third as much.

You ask 10 guys on here you are probably going to get 10 different answers. Buy a gun see how you like, mod it out if that floats your boat, or build another from scratch.

As far as cheapo ARs go, my little brother as a DPMS he bought for around $500 that has never failed to go bang and I've seen him put hundreds of rounds through it at the range and he uses it to go coyote hunting too, rolls them at 300 yds no problem.

Take care of your gun and it will take care of you.

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.