Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by passport
Do your gun shops even inventory Wingmasters? I have not seen one on the gun racks anyplace in a LONG time

I agree, the 870 Wingmaster gun shop rack space is now lined with 870 Express shotguns or Mossbergs.

Doc

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
870s are great. Check out Ithaca, if the new company is building them right, they are the best field pump. Very light, smooth and stylish, not a gun for shooting trap, but fantastic for birds. Built with a steel frame they will hold up to a lot of shooting, but they are light enough that I do not like to shoot them too much.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Do yourself a favor and buy a BPS 20

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think one of the English stocked BPS upland specials in 16 Guage would ooze uber, one the same in a 20

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cant feel the love for any bottom feeder..

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cant feel the love for any bottom feeder..

Yep times 2.... wink

Doc

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd take the cheapest Turkish clunker over anything coming out of Remington currently

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well their is that option.

Why no love for arguably one of the finest pump shotguns ever made? Or is it the new stuff that you dont like?

Last edited by passport; 09/17/15.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I love older 870s and have a very well worn wingman term that belonged to my dad. Current products from Remington are trash

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is a early 90's Wingmaster with B grade trap wood, buttery smooth, its a good one. Killed more birds than cancer....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous 870!
Bob

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been looking for a really good older 20 gauge Wingmaster for awhile with no luck so far.

I read Cheesy's suggestion about the Ithaca's and checked out gunbroker. There are some older 20s there that IMO look pretty good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a REALLY REALLY good 20 bore 870.... Its all the dough but probly worth it..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=508381682

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Field, you started this while I was away.. I have 6 Wingmasters.. I have had several model 37's.. I like them, but prefer the Wingmaster.. My newest one is probably at least 15 years old.. It is a 28 ga. the checkering seems to be fine, it functions perfectly.. I have two 20's that are a bit older.. I bought them when my first wife was still alive and we hunted together.. They have never given me a moments problem.. Also an old 870 from the mid 70's.. My main shotgun..

I like all of these models.. I would say the old Wingmaster from ten+ years ago would serve your purpose very well.. As you know I like pumps.. I have a 97, a model 12, and a Rem. model 31.. I like them all but the 870's get far more use than any of the others.. I haven't used an Express or owned one.. But those I have handled were pretty rough..

Molon Labe
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Well their is that option.

Why no love for arguably one of the finest pump shotguns ever made? Or is it the new stuff that you dont like?

I worked the gun counter at the local Academy during the wettest spring and summer in memory back in 2012. The Remington 870s with matte finish were rusting in the racks. I oiled them at least once a week during that period. The bean counters have pushed the engineers out and are making decisions that reduce the quality of the products in the name of profit. A friend has a matte 12 gauge turkey gun and it has to be wiped down every time he takes it out or it will rust.

My late uncle had an early 1970s Wingmaster that I would love to have, so I am not a Remington hater. It is just the finish on the Express shotguns and 700s that I dislike.

Also, I am left handed, so the Ithaca and Browning pumps do appeal to me. A left hand safety and I have a left hand gun and the empties do not fly across my face.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 09/19/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rough finish that Remington makes today is not properly washed off after bluing IMO. Im told that if you take those new guns and give them a bath, soapy water, you can wash off the salt and stop the rust issues.

There is still salt left on them and that's why they rust so easily. They either need to figure out a better way to clean them after bluing or not make the finish so dam rough.

Reason # 1000000 to find a Wingmaster..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Field, you started this while I was away.. I have 6 Wingmasters.. I have had several model 37's.. I like them, but prefer the Wingmaster.. My newest one is probably at least 15 years old.. It is a 28 ga. the checkering seems to be fine, it functions perfectly.. I have two 20's that are a bit older.. I bought them when my first wife was still alive and we hunted together.. They have never given me a moments problem.. Also an old 870 from the mid 70's.. My main shotgun..

I like all of these models.. I would say the old Wingmaster from ten+ years ago would serve your purpose very well.. As you know I like pumps.. I have a 97, a model 12, and a Rem. model 31.. I like them all but the 870's get far more use than any of the others.. I haven't used an Express or owned one.. But those I have handled were pretty rough..

Thanks WCH,,,,, Like you, I'm unfamiliar with the new 870's whether Wingmaster or Express but I do know that the Wingmaster was once a great shotgun and I was hoping they were still at least acceptable. I probably knew the answer before I asked though.

I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. Maybe I'll get lucky and stumble on a NIB older WM I can afford but I ain't holding my breath.
Fortunately I have some time to sort it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good used one, even if not new-in-box, would make a great gift. They're hard to wear out....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another thought....870s just balance better than almost any pump shotgun to me. I realize this is a personal thing, but Wingmasters carry nicely...I hold them where the magazine tube meets the receiver, and they balance well, usually two fingers on the magazine tube and two fingers under the receiver. Borrowed a friends 1300 XTR one day just to try it. It carried like a long 2 x 4. The balance point was ahead of the receiver, and to keep the muzzle from dropping I had to carry it by the foreend. It was a nice shooter, but you couldn't pay me to carry that gun another couple miles.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I bought a new 28 ga. WM a few years ago. One of the choke tubes got stuck in it because the barrel had a kink in it. Remington replaced it with a new barrel.
The action bars were not straight. Eventually the thing lost the bolt and the barrel during a trap session just recently.....
I love the way the gun handles. Best close cover grouse and Mtn. Quail gun I've ever used. But it's QC sucks. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
I bought a new 28 ga. WM a few years ago. One of the choke tubes got stuck in it because the barrel had a kink in it. Remington replaced it with a new barrel.
The action bars were not straight. Eventually the thing lost the bolt and the barrel during a trap session just recently.....
I love the way the gun handles. Best close cover grouse and Mtn. Quail gun I've ever used. But it's QC sucks. E

Did you send the gun back? What did Remington do?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 49 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.