Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been shooting my fathers old 36G a bit recently and am not too keen on the factory sights. I would like to add a receiver sight. I'm pretty familiar with the Williams, as I have a few on other rifles, but have no experience with the current Lyman. Which of those two do you prefer, and are there others that are currently produced? Do the target knob versions of the Williams stay put with field use?

Last edited by kciH; 03/18/15.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a Williams because it was lighter and cheaper. I got an elevation knob too, you have a screw on the sight to adjust clamping pressure on the elevation slide but the knob itself is too big, to these eyes, to put on such slim, quick rifle. If the Williams with a big aperture didn't give such a great sight picture with the fine bead fiber optic front sight I'd take it off too.

Last edited by 5thShock; 03/19/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lyman is the best, but they cost more than a Williams . If cost is factor then the Williams will work fine.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The Lyman looks better in that it's made of steel, but all of the little slide deals that mark the zero look like something that could come loose and fall off without some attention. Do the little screws stay put? It looks like about a $30 difference in cost, so it's pretty much a moot point when considering "optics"

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The current Lymans are not all steel and are a far cry from the older Lymans which were excellent. I will not be buying any more of the newer Lymans after getting a couple of lemons. Both had lots of wobble in the sight with all the screws tight. The newer Williams seem to be very solid, but have more sharp edges than the older ones. Bottom line is that you are better off buying an older Lyman or Williams.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd find a vintage Lyman.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I'd find a vintage Lyman.

This. Go with an older, steel Lyman. Gonna cost you, though.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another option is the tiny Williams that uses the scope base holes, WGRS I think it's called. Very neat and tidy.

Another classier option is the Skinner. Not easy to adjust, but solid and well made. 'Bout a C-note.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Vintage, go Lyman or Redfield. The new Lymans tend to be sloppy.

New, Williams - the click adjustable one, with or without finger knobs. The 5D is too cumbersome to adjust.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Another option is the tiny Williams that uses the scope base holes, WGRS I think it's called. Very neat and tidy.

Another classier option is the Skinner. Not easy to adjust, but solid and well made. 'Bout a C-note.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I'll keep my eyes open for a vintage Lyman or Redfield. I use the WGRS on a few rifles, usually something I don't want to adjust the sights on very often. That Skinner looks sufficiently robust, I'd imagine you need to put a taller front sight on with that one?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.