Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
In need of a lightweight packable rain shell jacket. My previous rain gear set that no longer works was the Cabela's Rain Suede. Worked OK at first but after a few washes the DWR no longer functions and the outer layer wets out and I get soaked underneath with very little moisture. Thinking about trying the Space Rain from Cabela's but not sure I want to go that route if it has a similar outer layer and requires the DWR to function.

Considering other jackets like the Marmot Precip, Patagonia Torrentshell, and REI Crestrail. Maybe even the Core4Element jacket. I live in and hunt Arizona almost exclusively so don't need a heavy duty jacket like the Kuiu Yukon or Helly Hansen Impertech. Just a light shell that is packable enough for me to always carry it. I really like the pit zips in the Kuiu Guide jacket I have so that is an option I would like to have but not a deal breaker. Would probably prefer a drab color without Camo. Any input?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have the marmot precip. We probably get more rain than you, but I'm still in that category of don't really need heavy duty rain gear.

Have you checked how you are washing/drying and what laundry products you are using? Marmot tells you not to use regular liquid laundry soaps.

There are some products made to wash clothes with DWR and then to restore it as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As Ralphie stated, you can 're-do' the DWR. And no, the Space Rain doesn't require it as it is just a thin shell.

I have read on this forum very good reviews of the Neoshell material from Polartec. It's supposed to be VERY breathable, which I think would be needed for use in AZ. Quite a few companies make jackets with the stuff, but they are either quite pricey or in loud colors or both. In searching for jackets with this material I came across a small shop in ID that custom makes stuff with it. I like the specs and choice along with the price. I haven't bought any yet, but when I'm due for new rain gear I will be giving them a call.

http://foxwear.net/fabrics-and-colors-2/clothing/rain-gear/

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Always used the "sportwash" to clean it and dried in the drier on med high. Never used any heavy detergents or fabric softeners that I am aware of. I have looked into a redo on the DWR but the guessing game of whether the wax or nonwax versions or wash vs spray ins will work on my piece kinda steers me away from wanting to mess with all that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Check out Westcombs E-Vent products.

Built in Canada, this is the best stuff I have yet found among the "breathable" fabrics.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
+1 for Westcomb.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Heat
In need of a lightweight packable rain shell jacket. My previous rain gear set that no longer works was the Cabela's Rain Suede. Worked OK at first but after a few washes the DWR no longer functions and the outer layer wets out and I get soaked underneath with very little moisture. Thinking about trying the Space Rain from Cabela's but not sure I want to go that route if it has a similar outer layer and requires the DWR to function.

Considering other jackets like the Marmot Precip, Patagonia Torrentshell, and REI Crestrail. Maybe even the Core4Element jacket. I live in and hunt Arizona almost exclusively so don't need a heavy duty jacket like the Kuiu Yukon or Helly Hansen Impertech. Just a light shell that is packable enough for me to always carry it. I really like the pit zips in the Kuiu Guide jacket I have so that is an option I would like to have but not a deal breaker. Would probably prefer a drab color without Camo. Any input?

Wash 'em in Nikwax Techwash (best) or Atsko Sportwash (very good). Do NOT wash synthetic outoor clothing in regular laundry detergent....ever.

Then use Nikwax TX Direct wash-in product, following the directions--don't skimp on the TX Direct, either.

I have 4 of Cabela's "Stealth Cloth" rain parkas I bought in the early 90's. They are similar to the later Cabela's "Suede" that I have seen. Two parkas I saved back, the other two have been used a LOT. One parka is about to give up the ghost, but I still use it.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a good waterproof guide, on STP of all places.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp...atalog&utm_campaign=waterproof-guide

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
+ 1 on the Event.
I bought a light weight hooded REI rain jacket with the Event, and even without the pit zips, it does a good job keeping me dry and reducing condensation inside in light to moderate exertion. The material has to breathe or you will be just as wet from your own sweat condensing inside as going without (almost! :)a jacket. It seems to me that the Event breathes better than my Goretex stuff.
The material seems to be fairly durable, but I don't know if any light jacket will stand up well to a lot of heavy brush.
Given my take on what you seem to be interested in, I would recommend a jacket with the pit zips in combination with the Event material. IMHO, The pit zips help me keep from overheating as well as venting extra moisture.
Good luck.
Joe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heat
My previous rain gear set that no longer works was the Cabela's Rain Suede. Worked OK at first but after a few washes the DWR no longer functions and the outer layer wets out and I get soaked underneath with very little moisture.

If you don't need heavy duty raingear, you can revive the DWR with a warm iron assuming your drier wasn't set high enough. It only takes a few minutes.

And Revivex is what Simms recommends for their waders. It'll create a DWR finish on old gear.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have had several since my first WPB shell in 1978 and have 5 now. I live in BC, it is WET here.

I have two original Integral Designs eVent shells, they are VG to EX.

I have a Westcomb APOC Neoshell and have used it extensively for almost 3 years. It is so superior to ANY other that I wear it almost daily and they have a dull grey colour in their line.

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I'm looking into Foxwear and other Neoshell options. Seems like a great fabric. Thanks for the input.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marmut precip fits the bill for me. Check Sierra trading post, every now and then they'll be blowing it out and if you time it with an additional 20-30% coupon you can get it for less than 1/2 price. Picked up a pair of precip pants and a jacket a few years back with such a sale.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
precip has done fairly well for us in AK over about 7 years IIRC.

I wouldn't want to bust devils club or such, but its faired fine in alders and the like.

Still need to buy some HH rubber for the ATV rides in and out in real rain though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Kuiu Chugach has worked pretty dang good for me this season so far...

H
Heat Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Mjm316

I should have bought a Chugach jacket when they were made in North America in solid color. The newer one is heavier and really don't like the redundant chest pocket. I have the same pet peeve with their baselayers, the pockets...who needs a pocket on their underwear? It sucks having OCD!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Firstlite stormtight jacket.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have checked out that first lite jacket and it looks pretty dang solid. I'd give that a try if I was in need of a new rain coat

D
D
I have the Patagonia Torrentshell and the Kuiu Chugach jackets.
The Torrentshell is nice and lightweight but I would say fairly light duty and no pit zips, which for me is a must if hiking with a pack. The Chugach is more heavy duty and breathes well with the pit zips and blocks the wind better.
If not expecting rain I'll bring the Torrentshell, if expecting rain I'll bring the Chugach. Got caught in rain and hail last year on a 9000' CO. mountainside in Nov. Chugach made it very comfortable for me while my partner bailed once he was soaked and cold.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mjm316

Yes I used it earlier this month in AK and it worked very well.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
I
IDK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
+1 on the Kuiu Chugah, my opinion is limited to the full week I used it in Montana last year in everything from hard rain, freezing rain, and snow. Time will tell if it holds up again for this season.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Firstlite stormtight jacket.

The FirstLite is the best jacket I have used as far as keeping dry while active in sloppy weather. No experience with KUIU, but I have some friends that say it works well.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The important part of rain gear other than the obvious is to be silent while you move with it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is always a wonderful subject. I can wade chest deep in fabric waders for an 8-hour day and come out completely dry. Seems everyone should be able to easily assemble a well functioning jacket. When I do eventually retire my waders, they are converted to arm pit high rain pants by cutting off the feet.

1Minute
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Mormot Precip jacket I've been running for the last five years is one of the two best rain shells I've ever owned. It has FAR exceeded my expectations in every way. At a weight of 13 ounces and, thus far, impeccable waterproof performance with zero leaks, it's hard to imagine much better. The one place for theoretical improvement is in the noise of the fabric when moving, but if it's raining they can't hear that until their ears are ringing or their lungs are bleeding anyway.

RLTW
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have the kryptek Koldo suit now, and they are the best rain suit Ive ever owned.

When it comes to staying dry I try to go with the best out there. Especially here in BC.

The Koldo is gated as follows

W/P: 20,000mm MVTR: 15,000g/m2/24hrs

Hope that helps

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
A
aus Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I bought a set of the core4element rain gear for a 12 day sambar hunt in our winter a couple months back. A 45 minute chopper ride had us dropped way into the mountains.
The rain gear got a good workout in steady rain up to blizzard conditions. Was ok if you didn't move. Got wet from the inside out with any walking at all.

T
T
Another Kryptek Koldo user here Alaska. Been using it for the last 3 seasons, wearing them on average 30 days a year. Excellent product and I'm not gentle on them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Marmot Precip for non-hunting backpacking and hiking and I use the Core4Element rain gear, both jackets and pants, for my hunting. I have been very happy with both and both have met or even exceeded my requirements. The Core4Element rain gear is very quiet and was less expensive than most other "hunting gear" rain gear on the market.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 204guy, 56 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.