Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have always loved the looks of the Ruger No1 and a few of the other makes, but have never really looked into buying one. I always liked the confidence a repeater brings to the table...but realize that I have very rarely (as in never) needed a "rapid" follow up shot on anything larger than a rabbit.

After building a very accurate 6br that is effectively a "single shot repeater". I think I am willing to look into joining the single shot rifle ranks. So now my questions.

What single shot rifles should I be looking for that have a great trigger, and are very accurate. I fired a martini type rifle (really not sure of make) in a 218 bee that had a set trigger that was fantastic. Was fairly well impressed with the off the elbows accuracy. BUT I hear a few folks say their Rugers are very accurate and show pictures of 1.5 to 2 inch 100 yard groups. I am hoping there are some rifles out there that are less than minute of angle shooters that can handle today's modern high pressure cartridges. The rifle will be used mostly for stand hunting whitetails and on predators.

How are the triggers on the Rugers? The Encores? What rifles have the best triggers?

I am looking for an education on the single shot rifle. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Scott

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The big question is budget. For $15k+ you could get a Hagn that is as fine as anything from England. For $5k you can get a Dakota Model 10 that is very fine. For $3500 You can get a Shiloh BP rifle that is remarkable.

I collect Rugers and other single shots, which are very interesting, and shoot very well.

.22-250 #1V, circa 1977, 50 gr bullets at 3750 fps

[Linked Image]

circa 1977 #1B - .270 Winchester, 130's at 3165 fps

[Linked Image]

.475 Turnbull, 500 gr Woodleighs at 1875 fps

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
I have had a number of Encore frames and barrels. Most have been moa shooters with a few exceptions.
Encore's are not noted for great triggers but I have two frames that have VG triggers, short take up and a crisp break with little creep.
On one is a 270 win that shoots sub moa at 100 with factory Federal Premium 150's. The other hosts a 444 Marlin Katahdin and I shoot consistent ragged hole 3 shot groups using 240 gr hp hand loads at 50 yards.

Hope this helps

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is not to mention if accuracy and 'single-shot' are the main criteria, theres a buttload of bolt action builds a guy can put together to fit most budgets.

If you want the panache of a proper single shot rifle, there will be the 'other' actions, wood and blue involved.....

Properly done, all will shoot well, perhaps the most accurate I ever shot was a Ballard.

And just for the hell of it a new Ruger #1 that Im loving...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 09/17/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sled2live, welcome to the illness, No.1s High walls Encores English German Stevens Savage H&R Shilos and Contenders, get one of each, for what its worth the Encore and Contender G2 platforms are the most versatile, triggers can be set and or refined by you with all the online kits not to hard to do. I have not found any bad triggers on them but crisping up does make a smile when you see the little groups

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Tex n Cal, I could afford a number 1...especially if they shoot groups like yours and look that nice. You have some beautiful rifles there.

Ingwe: Wow, those are some awesome 200 yard groups...I could live with that! Along with all of the panache of a proper single shot rifle :-)

Can I expect to get that kind of accuracy with most No1's or do they need a bit of work to get there nowdays? How are the triggers? Are the triggers adjustable? Or is there somebody that is a guru with those?

Thanks for the responses so far. Can some of the other rifles handle modern day cartridge pressures? Are there any I should avoid?

Again, thanks!

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In very general terms, the #1's made with Black pads will have Ruger-made, hammer-forged barrels, and will shoot very well. They started in about 1993-1994. Prior to that, Ruger bought barrels and accuracy can be hit or miss, though I think most of the stinkers have been rebarreled by now. The Rugers with a serial number preceding 130-005000 will have Douglas barrels, and will usually shoot very well.

Later rifles may need tuning here and there, but it is usually no big deal. The .22-250 I pictured first needed a lot of tuning, and a fire lapping job, but is now boringly accurate, even with TSX's. The .270 from 1976 has always shot very well, and I suspect has a Douglas barrel.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 09/18/15.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have several No.1’s, but this 375 H&H is the most accurate of the bunch right out of the box:

[Linked Image]

100 yards with scope on 4x:

[Linked Image]

As ingwe mentioned, Ballards don’t suck either (though I’m rather partial to the Shiloh Sharps)…

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

100 yards from the Sharps (45-90) left, and the Ballard (45-70) right, both with blackpowder and 30:1 cast 540 grainers:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
This is not to mention if accuracy and 'single-shot' are the main criteria, theres a buttload of bolt action builds a guy can put together to fit most budgets.

If you want the panache of a proper single shot rifle, there will be the 'other' actions, wood and blue involved.....

Properly done, all will shoot well, perhaps the most accurate I ever shot was a Ballard.

And just for the hell of it a new Ruger #1 that Im loving...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

By the way, here is an early .222, that someone will love:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=507048134

Probably a slow twist, but I bet he does not care... smile

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I dont have the extensive experience with Ruger but hav tried a few options suggested here and my experience FWIW:

Love the encore/contender as an amazingly accurate pistol. The rifles/shotgun/muzzle loaders- not my cup of tea.

The H&R when produced in Mass, made some pretty darn nice single shots for the money. An acquired taste. I think discontinued or poorly made under Remington/whomever.

I love my Shilohs for form, finish and performance. That is big bore black powder which is a whole different game. I think it is a hugh mistake to pay up for a Pedersoli when you can get one of these for a little more, it is 5x the gun. Worth the wait or buy one used.

The Miruko 1885 Wichester I have has super fit and finish and much more accurate than my very similar caliber and weight Ruger No1. These guns are top of the mark, as good as anyone.

The Ruger No1 is a classic beauty, but my very recent new out of box Lipsey special shot poorly and that is where you hear about accurizers an such. Your not getting the full story on Ruger with small targets and claims that all is well with new barrels. If you got the full story,I would not even have posted because everything else I read is spot on. I am keeping my Ruger. I like it. But lets be honest, there is something weirdly wrong with the design. The 1885 clones do not behave like this. I am sorry to see Ruger has limited the No1 production instead of embracing their best firearm and making it better.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ditto on the 1885s. Regrettably the quality of the wood on the current Winchester models has slipped, but Miroku still puts out a fine product. My Browning Low Wall Hornet is just a fine little rifle, with no issues at all. Given the chance (and finances), I would eagerly snap up a .243 or .260. The High walls are a bit heavy, but so are Ruger Standard models.

The prize of prizes would be a Browning High Wall Hunter in .30/30 or .38/55. I can't recall ever seeing one for sale anywhere. I do see the Low Wall Hunters on a regular basis, but never when I've been flush enough to pick it up. I would really like one of those in .357.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/19/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Look closely at the 1H that JGray posted pics of and you will note that it has a red Hawkeye pad and Circassian walnut with the Boddington style checkering. I have one like this. At the time these were made a few years ago, several models came out such-likely by accident. They are unique in the Ruger No.1 stable!

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Scott:

One or two Campfire members have one of these:

http://www.merkel-usa.com/products/rifles/k-class-single-shot/k3-k3-stutzen

They are said to be accurate with good triggers, but I've not yet had a chance to test that myself.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Those Merkels are very beautiful rifles. A bit more panache than my wallet has available. I would have to convince my wife to take on another part time job :-)

I didn't see that they had a economy model....would love to have one.
Thanks

Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That Merkel K3 is available in 9.x74R, .300 Win Mag etc and weighs 2,4kg (5.3lbs)... must be nice and easy to carry up the mountains. You probably don't feel it kick when there is a 12 point Red Stag in the sights....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If I had to choose just one single shot it would be a Browning 1885 in whatever caliber suits your needs. The three I have all shoot either side of an inch and seemingly without a great deal of concentration on my part.

My Number 1"s are okay but not as accurate as the 1885's. Just my experience and, of course, yours may vary.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Cabela special in 30/40 Krag shoots pretty well and I think the trigger is good as is. The Circassian walnut is the best wood I have on any gun.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
SO at the urging of a few forum members here, I have been looking into the 1885s..the Winchester and Browning versions. Where to the Browning B78s fit into the mix?

Thanks
Scott

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
B78's that I owned back in another lifetime were bug hole accurate- once you got used to their mushy triggers, which I did but didn't like having to. I'll stick with Martinis and original HiWalls w/set triggers (current and future builds). #1's are how they've been described above. The couple I've owned, .223 1B and 7x57 1A, (none on hand now) were decently accurate, decently stocked, and had decent triggers. A pretty decent rifle, but like driving Toyota Camry- reliable, efficient, cost effective, but quite ordinary (which can be a good thing smile ) . If one fell into my lap I wouldn't push it away. Personally, I'm saving up a couple social security checks to buy a Dakota 10 in .22 Hornet.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a B78 in .25-06 from the mid-70's. It is jaw-droppingly accurate. It needed some fiddling when I first got it, but once those problems were fixed it was exceptional. One of my favorite range memories was the time I was shooting at 200 yards, next to some guys shooting M1A's. I could see them smirk out the corner of my eye; they thought my single shot was pretty funny. They actually were good shots, shooting decent groups with iron sights.

They just stopped talking and stared though, when I brought a target back from 200 and laid it on the bench. It had 3 in 3/4".

The B78's were kind of funky with gloss wood finish, Monte Carlo stocks and white line recoil pads. But they had exceptional barrels and good wood. All the Miroku single shots will have excellent barrels and fine workmanship. The triggers and design decisions can leave you scratching your head, but I would not mind having another one or two.

The Ruger .475 Turnbull I have pictured above is the most accurate big bore I have ever seen. Turnbull told me less than 100 were made.

And this rifle has a piece of Circassian that would look fine on a Purdey:

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.