Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Seat mate OTZ-ANC from Mt (young toughie took a decent caribou up in the headwaters of the Noatak this year - 6 mile stalk the way he had to go, bear got his meat when he had to leave it overnight, saw the pics.) asked where in Alaska he should look at going on a DIY moose hunt in a couple. Having been a primarily winter "subsistence" hunter the last 5 years, I'm out of touch with such things, but I told him NW Arctic would be my best guess at this point for either a drop off or a float trip. I couldn't give him anything but generalities on that either. Differing opinions welcome. Certainly the Kenai is a bust for the foreseeable future

Told him to check in on 24 for specific recommendations locations and transporters from some of you that have BTDT. Now he has my curiosity aroused.... Anyone? PM me if you don't feel like posting, and still willing to share. Saw a dandy bull come out of No-name Creek 2 years ago, and some acquaintances from the Kenai hunt the Buckland River area every couple years.

If a float trip he's likely looking at renting 2 rafts, probably in Anc unless I can put him in contact with someone in Kotz who has them..but I don't think anyone does now that Walt left, unless it's an air transporter. I'll ask when I get back in a few.

Until the Sound freezes over and the caribou come over, I have nothing better to do.... frown

I have ulterior motives, maybe involving Charley Russell Breaks, down the road..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
las, I'd consider hunting an any bull area, much easier to find a legal bull that way. I've seen some stupid stuff happen this year that were the direct result of poor judgement of legal bulls in a 50" area.

If he's willing to drop a little coin have him talk to Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures, he can put him in an area with a great chance of success.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The 50 inch area we were in was BEYOND stupid this year.

I've never seen so many idiots think they can bust spruce brush wiht 3-4 atvs in a row and assume a bull will just stand up and stare at folks.

Got the moose to be very quiet and interseting to find.

Of course at least in an any bull area you can shoot if you can find a bull....

9 ATVs down a trail the last 2 hours of light, last night of season, where typically we see almost no one for the last 2 days....

We still had a grand time and if we'd hunted a bit harder...

A drop off or float is still a better ticket and I continue to see better bulls from folks that have air or water access.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.