Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Guys!

I posted three new videos, and two new stories (O-19, A-17) to my Call-in story page...

http://rain-shadow.com/cougar_callin_stories.htm

I've been starting to learn to video edit, hopefully this year I'll get proficient enough to have my tutorial be in DVD format instead of audio, but these are a start! There's 4 videos there amongst the stories now.

If anyone else has any call-in stories, PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

- - Steve
Rainshadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
www.rain-shadow.com

Mountain Lion Calling products, instruction, & stories!

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try to make Cougar Camp this year. You know how to find us.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a cougar call in story. Not much to tell, hunting elk and cow called it in. Have seen others and tracked in the snow Real interesting animals to hunt. Need to learn more about these calls.

LOL
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Cow call is similar to the Cougar whistle. I suppose they stalk chirping cows for dinner, but it is similar. Lots of stories about them showing up while cow calling.

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a cougar hit on me a couple of weeks ago. Working in a back yard on Arizona Country Club. Heard "you hoooo" several times and finally saw a woman next door trying to get my attention. She went out onto the golf course and came the the back gate where I met her. She was an attractive 60 something in a skimpy white dress. SHe had the dress down around her shoulders, turneded around and asked me to zip up her dress. Of course I had to grab the bottom so I could pull the zipper. She gyrated a little, thanked me and then sauntered back home!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Here is mine...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not a calling story, shrapnel, but it's a good one! Maybe I should make a new category for hiking them down! I can't copy/paste a photo, where is this written down?

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainshadow1
Not a calling story, shrapnel, but it's a good one! Maybe I should make a new category for hiking them down! I can't copy/paste a photo, where is this written down?

I wrote it several years ago on a sheet of paper, then scanned it for a copy. I have a newer scanner, maybe I can get a better scan and email a copy...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll post it! And it's a technique I want to start talking about.

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Here is mine...

[Linked Image]

No mention of what kind of truck.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have no idea what this means!

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Trucks notwithstanding... just sent a package to jolly old England! Hope to get some stories from there... interesting theory on released pets in the wild.

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just posted 5 new call-in stories on the website.

Merry Christmas!

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trucks notwithstanding... just sent a package to jolly old England! Hope to get some stories from there... interesting theory on released pets in the wild.

They're short a snow leopard or two, and wanted to discretely retrieve the cats, in a polite English way, of course...

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

They're short a snow leopard or two, and wanted to discretely retrieve the cats, in a polite English way, of course...

grin

Could be! He said Cougars, theorizing enough cats to establish had been released... I'd be surprised, but you never know!

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I Have shot 2 cougars. The first being called in. I was actually out calling Coyotes in the evening, in the breaks of Timber/ Bitterbrush. Started With a Cottontail call for about the first 15-20 min. Nothing came in and was getting too late to move to another call, So I switched the sound to a fawn in Distress call. Played that for another 10 min. Caught movement off to the right of me and Behind, There was 2 of us sitting about 5 yds apart, I had to stand and turn to see what it was over the brush behind me. There stood a cougar about 3yds away. He took of, and got the 223 Rem and 12 gauge Buckshot at the same time from both of us.

Checked him in at the Bio office and got the info back . He was a 5 yr old male 150 ish lbs on the scale we had.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shrapnel,

Forgive me if I am overstepping, but so you can share this easier, and so we all can read it easier, I turned this back into a text file and am copying it here. You ought to be able to copy your original work back out of this into a doc on your computer for future use. (I think I found all the odd OCR conversion errors.) The following was written by Shrapnel:

Way back, when I was much younger, I was quite adventurous. I didn't have a flashlight and at that time Mini-mags weren't yet invented. I was hunting a mountain lion, when I realized how important a flashlight could be, here's my story....

I was tracking fresh sign near Bridger Bowl somewhere around 1976. The snow was deep, but I had the determination to get me a real trophy, so I took chase with a pair of real “Pickeral” snowshoes.

These aren't the wimpy crap that you find in Army-Navy stores either. Anyone that knows snowshoes, knows good ones are made with Ash frames and moose hide. They are about 4 feet long, narrow, with up-turned tips and a long wooden tail to help keep the attitude of the snowshoe in a manner to facilitate the easiest mobility in honestly deep powder.

Following tracks I was certain were that of a good lion, I forged my way up some really steep and foreboding ravines and slopes. The cat showed no signs of lingering, and I might also ad I was on my own without the assistance of hounds.

Tracking was easy, but the course was grueling. If had been any older, I would have most certainty turned back after the first 6 miles. I knew going into this that nothing of any real value comes without a price; its whether or not I was willing to pay.

Several hours of up and down without a single sighting, and I was questioning my sanity. Was I really In pursuit of an actual cougar, or was I wishing too hard on a set of Marten tracks. Intellectually I knew I was right, but you can easily second guess yourself under such physical strain.

Hours and miles of tracking finally brought me to a cave with tracks going in and none coming out. What to do., What to do? I had my backpack light for easy tracking, but I still had matches and toilet paper. I found a small stick and wrapped some toilet paper on It to fashion a makeshift torch. I didn't know then, but I do know now, it isn't much of a torch.

With the torch lit, and my revolver in hand, I started crawling into uncertain darkness. The mouth of the cave couldn't have been more than 24’ high and once inside it didn't get any roomier. I finally got the only epiphany of this entire expedition...”get out of here” but it was too late. What little light was emitted by my pathetic torch, reflected in the eyes of the cat.

[bleep], was all I could think, and the fight was on. Between the screaming of the cat and my cursing, the torch went out. The only light in the cave was from the fire out the end of my Smith and Wesson .41 magnum. I never saw the value of more than 6 shots until that moment, and I needed more light.

Scratched and bleeding I backed my way out of the cave hoping to see my wife and kids, just once more. Looking myself over, I realized I hurt myself more on the cave opening than the cat inflicted. I found enough composure to reload and get ready for what might happen next. I waited and nothing happened.

Now what? 1 wasn't going back in there. but I had to find out if I had won. Sticking one of the snowshoes into the cave and poking around, I felt resistance but heard no sounds. That is a good sign. It would be dark soon and I had to do something.

I crawled, and reached and felt hair and no claws or teeth, so I got brave and grabbed what I could, dragging the cat out of the hole. His hide was so full of holes it wouldn't hold water, but I had achieved my goal. Getting the cat back to the truck in the parking lot wasn't easy, but it sure beat crawling into a cave with a live mountain lion.

Ever since then I have always been partial to compact flashlights.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oregonyotebuster, I'll post that story if I have your permission?

Thanks Jaguar! That was real accommodating of you to take the time to do that! Appreciated!

- - Steve
www.rain-shadow.com

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
sure I read most or the stories on your page. Good reading!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.