Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Picked up a new old stock Crossman 766, put a Leupold compact 6x on it, which I think I've now ruined and will be sending back to Leupold. Current count out the kitchen and garage windows is 21 in 3 weeks. Even my bride said, I don't care what you do, just kill the little bastards. They should not have gotten on her bird feeders on the deck!

Anyway, would appreciate your recommendations on an airgun scope in the $100-200 range that will hold a zero and ruin some more tree rats' days.

And before you say it, yes, I know putting the Leupold on it was a dipschitt move....

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Link Here
Hawke 3-9x40 AO 1"tube, mildot, mine has held up to a Beeman Crow Magnum gas-ram.
Good glass, holds zero, AO with dots is nice.
Mine isn't the illuminated reticle version and was cheaper.

Link here too

Last edited by colodog; 09/19/15.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Picked up a new old stock Crossman 766, put a Leupold compact 6x on it, which I think I've now ruined and will be sending back to Leupold. Current count out the kitchen and garage windows is 21 in 3 weeks. Even my bride said, I don't care what you do, just kill the little bastards. They should not have gotten on her bird feeders on the deck!

Anyway, would appreciate your recommendations on an airgun scope in the $100-200 range that will hold a zero and ruin some more tree rats' days.

And before you say it, yes, I know putting the Leupold on it was a dipschitt move....

You think you ruined a Leupold scope on an air rifle that is a pump-up, rather than a spring action?

I seriously doubt it. I've had Leopold scopes on .338 Win Mags, and didn't mess them up.

If you want a scope that is more in tune to air rifles, get one with an adjustable objective suited to shorter ranges. I use CenterPoint scopes on my airguns. They work great, and hold zero well.

http://www.crosman.com/optics/scopes

The AO deal eliminates parallax at shorter ranges for better accuracy than scopes that have a set parallax for 100 yards.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Thanks for the help guys. Rockinbbar, I may be mistaken as it may just be coincidental, but it won't hold a zero for more than 10-15 shots now. Haven't had a Leupold do that on any of my centerfires before, so just made an assumption.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A high powered spring rifle won't hurt a Leupold, much less a pump up gun. Leupolds are spring gun rated and I've used a number of them on magnum powered airguns with zero problem. You could have a bad scope, but the Crosman didn't damage it.

IC B2

C
C
Sir:

Do your research on Leupold. It's one of the few scopes that will take it on a springer. I have them on mine, after others failed.

Matter of fact, Leupold will repair it 24/7 if it ever needs it; they don't ask if you put it on air rifle, it does not matter to them. They consider their scope bullet proof.

I will use nothing else, been shooting them on springers for years.

Best,

casper_zip

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
No issue with Leupolds at all, that's all I have on my center fires. I'll send this one in for repair, and I know they'll send it back in like new condition. I just thought, mistakenly, that the issue may have been my doing.

In any event, I do appreciate everyone's feedback, and will pick up one of the recommended AO air rifle scopes for this squirrel killer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You're positive it's the scope? The barrel to receiver connection of the 766 is not the most robust, and considering the forces applied to it during the pumping action may shift it between shots. Just curious, did you put the scope on another rifle of known accuracy and try it? Might save you postage of sending it back.

766 disassembled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x_M0s82EJc

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Nikon Target EFR that I would sell. I have another on my Beman R-9 and love it. This one came off a .22 and is in excellent condition.
[Linked Image]

I also have a Centerpoint Scope that I would sell cheap. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have sent several Leupolds in for repair from RWS 48 spring gun. It would only hold for about 25 rounds. It was the EFR 3 x 9, but did not say air rifle like the older ones had.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Then I learned the secret. PCP is the way to go. Accurate and fun. Very deadly on critters out to 50 + yards. And never a scope worry, no recoil. The cats meow.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The pump thing or scuba tank has always been the drawback to PCP's for me.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
Then I learned the secret. PCP is the way to go. Accurate and fun. Very deadly on critters out to 50 + yards. And never a scope worry, no recoil. The cats meow.

I was lucky to score a Bauer compressor at an affordable price. I have a SCBA tank, so I have unlimited accurate shooting. Beside the cost, PCP is the way to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Or if you want to just cock it and shoot a springer is worth a look.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Hawke all day long - good price and performance offerings and my 3x9 has held for 5 years on a AA TX200 Carbine

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by centershot
Or if you want to just cock it and shoot a springer is worth a look.

That certainly is the attraction of springers (and I have/had several), however MY problem with them is that I can't get the pellet to consistently land where I put the sights due to their hold sensitivity. I know, it's a matter of technique and the issue is mine rather than the gun, but it's discouraging to let fly at targets of opportunity from different positions (as in squirrel hunting) and not score a hit when the sights are there. I keep trying though. My last airgun purchase was a Weihrauch HW50S and it's been the best so far due mostly, I think, to it's great trigger. However when I really want to kill stuff, my .25 Marauder still gets the call.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,829
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.