Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Dr, I will have to look for some.. I guess that is the problem when shooting a 20 finding the load a guy wants..

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
This is interesting reading on the 20.. I have used one off and on since about 1959.. Most of my shooting has been with 12's, mainly my old 870.. But the 20 has killed plenty of game also..
I was looking over the regs. for hunting birds on some Federal Refuges. Here they call for nontoxic shot.. What shot do you 20 ga. fans use in this situation???

My choice for my guns is Kent Tungsten Matrix, almost the same density as lead (10.60 vs 11.10 gm/cc) but softer so safe for spendy barrels. It is indistinguishable from lead in the field. I do not hunt waterfowl over decoys so don't have the close shots some do, and in addition, my use of steel years ago left me very disappointed. I won't use it.

On a refuge for upland birds, as mentioned, you can't tell it from a lead load. Relatively spendy as opposed to steel but then you get what you pay for.

I order mine from Mack's Praire Wings online.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/29/15.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
George, I was hoping you would chime in here.. That number of roosters with a 20 is awesome.. My 20 will handle non toxic shot, but I am not hot on steel.. Have a few heavie shot my Rem. but not sure where I got them..

Killed some ducks with H/S out of my 12 last fall and it was impressive..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea, I was a "pheasant fanatic" in college. At the time my prof was kind of dumbfounded at my paper and the number of birds referenced. But as mentioned it was a good time in NW Iowa for birds.

The Kent TM is expensive. No ifs, ands, or buts about it; but it's legal, safe for you gun, and as good as lead, or very nearly so such that you'd not see the difference.

Edited to add: check Mack's Praire Wings for all their non-toxic options.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 08/29/15.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I love my Weatherby Athena (IC/M) and Benelli Ultra-lightweight (IC) 20ga guns for upland and dove hunting and do 80% of my shotgunning with one of those two guns and #7 1/2 shot. For geese (BB) and/or late season wild flushing pheasants (#5), the 12ga still gets the nod due to the heavier 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 oz payload....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grandson does just fine with his 20ga single shot Savage 220, shooting Fiochi 1oz #5 shot!

[Linked Image]

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/url3285r4

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did fine with that same combination for years. wink Back then we used WW ammo with copper-plated #5 shot.

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
My grandson does just fine with his 20ga single shot Savage 220, shooting Fiochi 1oz #5 shot!

[Linked Image]

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/url3285r4

THAT, is a great picture!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, Just a great Hunting Memory !
You are a Very Lucky GrandFather.

I like my 30" Red Label 20 for pheasant.
I have 12's and they work well enough,
but the 20 lets me know when I'm on my game, and it fits me nicely.

I might put a 3" of #4 or #5 in the bottom barrel,
but the top is regular 2-3/4" #6 .

Usually IC over Mod

Again, Great Picture L2S

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
After years of hunting birds with a 12 gauge Model 12 I began using a 20ga in the late 90s. Bought a Ruger Red Label with 26 inch barrels and shot that for a few years. Then I went back to Model 12 Winchesters for a while but this time in 16 gauge. A very nice shotgun to carry and effective.

A couple of years ago my Uncle passed away and I inherited his 20 gauge Model 12 and a 20 gauge Browning Superposed. So this year I’ll be going back to the 20 gauge for most of my hunting. As far as ability to kill something the 20 will do very well if you do your part. I prefer #5 Golden Pheasant loads.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I never had a problem killing with a 20 in my youth, made some pretty impressive shots on roosters and ducks. Mainly used 4's and 5's. Nothing like floating feathers and a rooster that wasn't gonna get up after hitting the ground. It was almost magical at that age. Had the family house dog with me always. Now my shotgunning leaves a lot to be desired regardless what gauge I'm shooting.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
20 is good. Used one growing up hunting roosters in Kansas. Takes birds as good as any of my 12's. Use #4s or 5s and modified over IC choke (or vice versa). My grandfather used a 20 his entire life and bagged 100s of birds if not thousands if you count doves, etc. Just my two cents but I would not hesitate to use a 20.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Absolutely- I use a Browning BSS in 20 ga. and have used several O/U's. Heaviest loads are 1 1/4 oz. #6's, but one ounce, 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 will do near as well if you don't try to make a magnum 12 out of a 20. I was able to get some nickel plated 5 1/2 shot from BPI and in reloads that stuff absolutely flattens roosters. I hunt over a dog and shots are sometimes a bit closer than wild North Dakota birds but the shot is what does the work, and the pheasants don't know what gauge fired it. If you are stuck with non-toxic loads though... I move to the 12 for better selection (and economy...) of loads.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Hawkman-, first things first--Go Hawks! A belated welcome to the 'Fire.

The 20 with an oz of shot 5's or 6's is just fine. Those that say not don't know.

Back in '69 a friend and I took 198 pheasants legally that fall and winter in NW Iowa because we had great snow, Government Acres (now CRP), and we cut way too many college classes. I remember the numbers because the hunting was so good we started keeping track, and I actually did a bio research paper on the stomach contents of my birds.

My point is I had a inexpensive Stevens 20 SxS and shot all those birds that year with it and many more in other years. Now, I shoot a bit of an upgrade--a Beretta 471 Golden Hawk 20 SxS--and it's still knocking them down and out.

There is perhaps something to going 12 late season for birds that flush wild and or in wind but if you have a twenty on a true twenty frame it sure carries nicer than a 12 and perhaps you pass up a few of those more challenging shots.

Thanks George! I recently moved and haven't been on here in a while. Got my Citori shooting good and am ready for the opener later this month. Thanks as well to everyone who replied, great feedback! That's why I spend more time on this site then any. Good luck to everyone this season and George, Go Hawks! 7-0, not a bad start:)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (257 mag, 44mc, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.