Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Citori16
As I was ordering things from Brownells, the help line "expert" offered to chat and recommended Lyman saying it will require no "extras" to load anything, easy to adjust and use, etc. so I went for it. Appreciate all input above; will let you know what I think after I use it. Thanks again.

Hopefully they fire that dumb bastard.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Didn't John B write an article comparing powder measures a couple years ago, for Handloader? I don't think I have an issue that far back any more, but I was thinking that there wasn't a whole lot of difference, overall, between them. Each had strong and weak points. The Lee Perfect was not included, I don't believe/recall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Citori16
As I was ordering things from Brownells, the help line "expert" offered to chat and recommended Lyman saying it will require no "extras" to load anything, easy to adjust and use, etc. so I went for it. Appreciate all input above; will let you know what I think after I use it. Thanks again.

Hopefully they fire that dumb bastard.

Travis

Every time I see Lyman reloading stuff for sale in catalogs or stores I always wonder who it is buying their stuff. Not that it's bad or anything. It's just kinda like eating at Olive Garden when visiting Italy.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, without even seeing the Lyman, I know I have made worse decisions with a "C-Note".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've used the hell out of a Lyman 55. To do over, maybe I'd have bought a Redding, but the Lyman will work without any doubt.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Is this the same Lyman 55 that can't measure Unique?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I am a fan of RCBS and Redding loading equipment for the most part, for powder measures you still need to trickle with these measures. get a Harrell's Precision ,Vastly superior to the R&R

This times 100!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
I am a fan of RCBS and Redding loading equipment for the most part, for powder measures you still need to trickle with these measures. get a Harrell's Precision ,Vastly superior to the R&R

This times 100!

Scott,

How well does your Harrell's work with stick powders?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For stick powders search this site for Quick Measure. I think the Quick Measure is the best for the log style 4064 style though for the short cut many work.

My own Harrell's maxes out at a nominal 50 grains and of course works just fine but I use it for the easy to measure powders used to reload varmint in the field and such.

I have a Little Dandy with a full set of rotors and an aftermarket weight - otherwise try a roll of quarters - for best results. Works and is convenient.

To that add both Hornady with large and small micrometer setup in a LNL AP and an old Uniflow that was my first measure again with added micrometer.

They all work just fine. Seems to me like the progressive a truly rigid mount helps. That and practice.

Fred Sinclair in his little book on precision handloading suggests the Redding ship properly setup and should be first choice but adds that for folks who already paid for the RCBS/Hornady adding the proper rotor and micrometer adjustment screw will work just fine.

I like the golf bag approach with no single perfect for all jobs measure. Of the lot I'd say the Quick Measure stands out for big bottleneck cases with big sticks of powder. The others are a little better a little worse with different strengths but they all work.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
OK, fire up the flame throwers.....

I did a formal Measurement System Analysis comparing the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, the Hornady measure, a Lyman digital scale, and a Hornady balance scale.

The shock was that with ball powders, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure was more consistent than any of the other alternatives. With Varget, the Lee measure and the Hornady scale tied for best.

Do I still want a nifty brass Belding and Mull measure? Sure. It's beautiful. But it's hard to believe that it throws more precise charges than the $20 Lee.

The good news is that any of the alternatives tested will throw sufficiently precise charges for any normal application.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Is this the same Lyman 55 that can't measure Unique?

Travis

Yeah, the one that helped me get over my anal retentiveness in regards to thrown charges. grin

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by denton
OK, fire up the flame throwers.....

I did a formal Measurement System Analysis comparing the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, the Hornady measure, a Lyman digital scale, and a Hornady balance scale.

The shock was that with ball powders, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure was more consistent than any of the other alternatives. With Varget, the Lee measure and the Hornady scale tied for best.

Do I still want a nifty brass Belding and Mull measure? Sure. It's beautiful. But it's hard to believe that it throws more precise charges than the $20 Lee.

The good news is that any of the alternatives tested will throw sufficiently precise charges for any normal application.

Good call on the Lee.

Travis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I just use the Lee Dippers

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd forgotten that you did that, Denton. I did a less formal comparison with some internet associates several years ago. Lee was best or second-best with all powders tested.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fugk yeah.

Lee or bust.

Travis

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
For stick powders search this site for Quick Measure. I think the Quick Measure is the best for the log style 4064 style though for the short cut many work.

My own Harrell's maxes out at a nominal 50 grains and of course works just fine but I use it for the easy to measure powders used to reload varmint in the field and such.

I have a Little Dandy with a full set of rotors and an aftermarket weight - otherwise try a roll of quarters - for best results. Works and is convenient.

To that add both Hornady with large and small micrometer setup in a LNL AP and an old Uniflow that was my first measure again with added micrometer.

They all work just fine. Seems to me like the progressive a truly rigid mount helps. That and practice.

Fred Sinclair in his little book on precision handloading suggests the Redding ship properly setup and should be first choice but adds that for folks who already paid for the RCBS/Hornady adding the proper rotor and micrometer adjustment screw will work just fine.

I like the golf bag approach with no single perfect for all jobs measure. Of the lot I'd say the Quick Measure stands out for big bottleneck cases with big sticks of powder. The others are a little better a little worse with different strengths but they all work.

Clarke,

Thank you for your contribution.

The Quick Measure might be what I'm looking for. The Uniflow does great with fine powder. Generally the coarsest powder I use is H4831sc, but I do have one load that uses IMR 5010.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How repeatable was the Lee's adjustment system?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Scott F

This times 100!

Scott,

How well does your Harrell's work with stick powders?

Short stick works great, long stick not real well but plenty good enough unless you are pushing the upper limits. I could set it with a short stick like AA 2015 then throw ten charges and my digital scale would just move decimal point one place.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As an old long time shot gunner who uses a lot of Unique for favored 16ga loads, I might be able to help the "Oracle". You need to keep the hopper close to full & tapped down at all times. Also, take an instant to tap hopper when bushing cavity is open to receive powder. I can drop charges thru std. MEC powder bushings or thru adjustable bar that will usually be on the nose or W/I .2 gr as measured on RCBS e scale.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I have to eat a bit of humble pie on this statement.....this weekend I reloaded several hundred cases of 38 Special ammo....my highly prized Harrell's powder measure for some reason will NOT throw a charge of HS-6 in any charge weight confused

Switched to my uniflow with micrometer ajustment and it threw 600 charges exactly the same (checked on my 10-10 every 10th charge).

Have no reason for the anomaly.......other than they might be like women, no absolutes !!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 17 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.