Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
OK so I picked up a sporterized Eddystone 30-06. It has what I think is an old school Bishop stock on it with the white line spacers and a Monte Carlo cheekrest. I already have a nice good shooting 06 so I don't really need another.But I really like this rifle so I want to do something with it. Thinking about getting it rebored to 35 whelen or 9.3x62. Or what would be involved in making it a 300 win. magnum or 338 magnum? Or maybe an 8 mm Remington magnum? Or maybe a 300 H&H magnum? Will work on trying to get pics of it, its just old school cool. Not really sure what I want to do with it so I figured I'd throw it out here and see what you guys think and what I would be getting into with it. Thanks, Don

Last edited by Bearschlayerx2; 09/24/15.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
35 Whelen

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearschlayerx2
OK so I picked up a sporterized Eddystone 30-06. It has what I think is an old school Bishop stock on it with the white line spacers and a Monte Carlo cheekrest. I already have a nice good shooting 06 so I don't really need another.But I really like this rifle so I want to do something with it. Thinking about getting it rebored to 35 whelen or 9.3x62. Or what would be involved in making it a 300 win. magnum or 338 magnum? Or maybe an 8 mm Remington magnum? Or maybe a 300 H&H magnum? Will work on trying to get pics of it, its just old school cool. Not really sure what I want to do with it so I figured I'd throw it out here and see what you guys think and what I would be getting into with it. Thanks, Don

Perfect candidate for a 9.3x62mm rebore. Look JES up... I am thinking about having one done myself...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If I decide to get it rebored I will definitely have it done by JES. I picked this rifle up along with a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 for $400 for the pair so I don't have much in it. I think this will be kind of a work in progress. It is drilled and tapped for scope mounts so that much is done. I also want to get the stock checkered and refinished and possibly get it reblued at some point. Then when he's old enough I'll give it to my oldest grandson. My youngest grandson has already laid claim to my Weatherby and my granddaughter wants my Ruger 77 30-06.
The Stevens I think I'm just gonna put a Boyds laminate stock and a half decent 3-9 scope on it and call it good if it shoots decent. Thinking maybe a Redfield Revolution.
Not sure what scope will go on the Eddystone yet...probably a 3-9 Leupold of some sort.

Kid Rock
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pictures?

What level of customization, have the "ears" been ground off, dogleg bolt handle replaced?

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow.
Ears are ground off and it is drliied and tapped.

Kid Rock
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sounds like you made one heck of a deal.

Those big ole actions are built like tanks. They'll make into a .404J or about any big round.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's one Tom Burgess turned into a .404J.

Not sure how one could reproduce this level of work today must less cover the cost.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Not sure how one could reproduce this level of work today must less cover the cost.

DF

[Linked Image]

Wow! Beautiful. More pics, please!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

[Linked Image]

That sure is a beauty. However, I prefer the m1917 style safety over the model 70 wing type. DF, your collection sure is nice..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Reboring to .35 Whelen would definately be my choice, brass is readily available or can easily be formed from .30-06. There are also a myriad of choices when it comes to bullets, you can shoot jacketed, cast bullets and .357 pistol bullets. I had a pre '64 Winchester M/70 rebored to .35 Whelen about 25 years ago, it is one of my favorite centerfire rifles.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

[Linked Image]

That sure is a beauty. However, I prefer the m1917 style safety over the model 70 wing type. DF, your collection sure is nice..

Wish it was mine. Got that photo on line a few years back when I was building a .404J on a SS M-70 RUM. I like the Enfield safety, too. The only reason I'd go with the M-70 safety would be familiarity with that set up.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/24/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

DF

[Linked Image]

Wish it was mine. Got that photo on line a few years back when I was building a .404J on a SS M-70 RUM. I like the Enfield safety, too. The only reason I'd go with the M-70 safety would be familiarity with that set up.

DF

I shoot lefty, it seems to be easier to manipulate than the wing type. However, I grew up with an old sporterized m1917, so it may just be I'm very familiar with that style. I really miss my BSA model D!!!!! cry

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Getting rid of that ugly dog leg bolt handle helps a lot.

A 1917 done up right is a real jewel.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm sure you are talking to the op, because that one I posted a pic of isn't a m1917 bolt handle... It is actually a factory sporterized M1917, done in England by Birmingham Small Arms company. No where near custom like the one you posted a pic of, but very usable and one of my favorite hunting rifles.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
35 Whelen

I have a Remington 1917 in 338-06.....IMO the 1917 makes for a damn heavy gun for anything on the 30-06 case....unless you dont have to pack the gun around i wouldnt do much of anything but a big case so that weight is put to good use soaking up recoil energy....if i wind up keeping mine it will likely end up being remade into something like a 404 Jeffery or a 416 Rigby or something like that...a 338-06 that weights over 9 pounds all up kicks like a 25-06 in a normal weight rifle but winds up being left in the safe when it comes time to grab something to hike the hills with...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a winchester p17 in 9.3x62. Great cartridge and works very well in this platform.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
.338-06 would be my choice.

Make your first shot your best shot!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Hmmm...some interesting thoughts here and that is a beautiful rifle pictured. I know to go to a whelen or a 338-06 or a 9.3x62 is a simple rebored, but what would be involved in going to a magnum? The 8mm Remington mag has always intrigued me. Or maybe a 338 Winchester magnum?
On and yes it still has the dog leg bolt.
Still trying to get pics. Have them in my phone but mobile photobucket is not cooperating.

Kid Rock
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 16 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.