Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep. 5 and 1/2 food ultralights with Shimano 750 Sedonas and #10 fire line. Worked on all sizes as usual.

Side note : Provincial law dictates the use of single barbless hooks only, which we prefer anyway cause it makes the pike easier to unhook and release. we are using 2/0 and 3/0 hooks and the OTHER reason for barbless sold itself on this trip. Reaching down for a hooked pike, he threw the 2/0 hook.....into my thumb. It went in past where the barb would be and bounced back out so fast I didn't even have time to scream like a little girl!
Beats spending 15 minutes cutting it out....

Damn good reason to use barbless. Thrashing stripers will ruin your day when you and them are both hooked to a Zara spook. I pinch the barb down when fishing a hot bite I too rather get out and get another fish than fool around with a thrasher that is pinned well.

One thing I can tell ya, never cut one out. Loop a long length of heavy mono around the bend of the hook and press the eye of the hook down against you and with slack in the line yank like hell it will pop out with way less misery.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, I have friends that are huge believers in that. Ive never had to do it...and dont want to...

Got a damned #12 fly hook stuck so deep in my finger one night I had to run it on thru ( through the nail eek ) cut the eye off and pull thru.

Saw it in Sports Afield.

MUCH better in print than in practice!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oooooo that made me sweat. I woulda pussed out!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, well I was young, too poor and too embarrassed to go to the ER,so I got out the hemostats and a cup of ice....numb it, give it a quick shove, find out it wasn't really numb....repeat. eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was fly fishing once, just once, without glasses and caught a size 20 nymph in my eye lid. Worked that one out myself, though I did wuss out, I had tears rolling out that eye. Also saw the light about barbless hooks. No eye damage but a painful lesson I could have avoided.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm going on my first "Snot Rocket" fishing (hunting) trip in a few weeks.
I'm going to start out with barbed trebal hooks until I put a few in the boat, then we'll see.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All looks n sounds like fun, save hook in hand accidents.

What rod brand/models do you like/run on the 750?

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
My fave is a Shimano 5 and 1/2 food Ultralight.

Just bought and tried a Quantum 5 and 1/2 medium...little stiffer to set the bigger hooks on pike, it worked well too....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Anaconda
I'm going on my first "Snot Rocket" fishing (hunting) trip in a few weeks.
I'm going to start out with barbed trebal hooks until I put a few in the boat, then we'll see.

That is perhaps the worse choice of hooks possible, a single long shank barbless hook will catch more fish and fewer fishermen.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
If the pike fishing is high volume...a single hook is the only way to go. If it is normal and you are catching just a few a day, and wanting to keep them, treble might be OK...

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Treble hooks are pretty much a death sentence to the fish, if you plan on eating them then safety is the only draw back, and pike make for some fine eating.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’m not arguing, maybe just confused.

I have been catching and releasing fish with treble hooks for decades.

So what am I missing, why is a treble hook a death sentence ?

Here on the fire, lots of people seem to go the single hook rout, but else where, lots of people use lures with multiple trebles. Many of the lures made for Pike & Muskies have two or even three trebles.

I think I will pick up a package of large single hooks and be ready to switch out if the fish are dying or I am bleeding too much,

MOLON LABE
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Im not sure I'd call it a death sentence...but the more wounding, the more handling, the more stress unhooking trebles or multiple trebles of a certainty will increase the fish mortality.
A single hook, or better yet single barbless in a pike can often be unhooked without even getting the fish out of the water...and because they are toothy...it also saves you $$$$ on Triple antibiotic ointment and bandaids! grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
OK, I switched out a couple of lures with single hooks.
I'll pinch the barbs, and take a few more hooks "just in case".

[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some nice fish!!

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Anaconda
OK, I switched out a couple of lures with single hooks.
I'll pinch the barbs, and take a few more hooks "just in case".

[Linked Image]

Looks good!

You'll find the only hook you need on those plugs is the one at the tail end....

Sooner or later you'll be thankful you pinched the barbs... wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.