Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
GSPfan: I suggest you buy the 243 Target.
I have ONE of these Rifles and keep pretty close tabs on these models - they are rare!
I am suggesting you buy it as an investment/collector piece NOT as a shooter though!
I often daydream about how well (or how NOT so well!) my minty 243 Target might shoot - but I am now of the mindset that I will go to my grave NOT knowing that answer.
Its been a LONG time since I had a pre-64 Model 70 into a Dog Town.
The last time out with one I was on the border of Montana and Wyoming (just south of Quietus, Montana) at a remote "virgin" Dog Town. It was difficult to get to even with my 4x4.
I was up on top of a squaw tit type hill and was looking down on 50+ acres of dumb dogs with the sun at my back!
Aaahh... Valhala!
I was shooting my pre-64 Model 70 Varmint in 243 Winchester with a custom thumbhole stock and a Unertl 15 power scope atop it.
I wouldn't even shoot at the PD's within 200 yards and probably killed 4 or 5 at 500 yards plus that morning!
A great memory for me that!
I just refuse to diminish the collector value of my Model 70's anymore by Hunting with them.
I look upon my Model 70 collection as an investment or a savings account for the VarmintKids and the VarmintGrandkids.
My savings accounts sure have not been growing in value so I will let the Model 70's appreciate.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
varmintguy. To each their own... I love to enjoy/use my Winchesters. One of the reasons I've gotten rid of damn near everything else. I'll hunt them until they put me in the ground.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm a mix, I have some I use and some that will not ever see a deer blind. For the most part I use what I have....but the rotation back into use is a long journey:)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yall dont rile Varmint guy up! I baby hell out of mine, but I end up with more safe dings than hunting ,shooting hurt! v best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Yall dont rile Varmint guy up! I baby hell out of mine, but I end up with more safe dings than hunting ,shooting hurt! v best winpoor

Mine get safe dings too. I have no clue how it happens. Pisses me off too because I baby the hell out of my rifles. I don't know if the 270 is in there whipping the hell out of the others or what is going on in there!!!!! mad

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Sometimes you need to separate the children for their own good of course. I'm convinced the people who make gun safes don't own guns. You can't get 60 guns in a safe that says it's a 60 gun safe. They don't figure in bolt handles (this is where most of my dings come from) or scopes. And if your a SXS shooter the spacing for the barrels isn't wide enough. I figure you have about half the useable space they claim to have.

My new 250-3000 which I put an older Redfield 3X9 wide angle scope on sits in the corner because there is no room:(

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Before putting guns into the safe the metal gets a wipe down with some RIGS and then they are put into a gun/rifle sock. This seems to have eliminated my "safe dings". That being said, it is a PITA but much better then a new injury to the stock.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

Mine get safe dings too. I have no clue how it happens. Pisses me off too because I baby the hell out of my rifles. I don't know if the 270 is in there whipping the hell out of the others or what is going on in there!!!!! mad

I used to get a lot of safe dings as well. Started putting everything in gun socks. That has really helped.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by GSPfan
VarmintGuy I also like the old Winchester Varmint rifles and have the varmint models in 243 and 220 Swift. On my recent Wyoming prairie dog shoot a M70 22 Hornet saw plenty of action as well. WinPoor is trying to talk me into a 243 target, it's a very nice rifle but I have two varmint rigs in 243 already.

If you take it out and shoot it its SOLD very best winbroke
Otherwise i may trade it even for a nice hornet

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
.298 29 caliber is the ideal compromise between .30 and .284. And you can have pac-nor chamber one of their barrels for the amazing B-.29:

http://pac-nor.com/barrels/

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.