-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Has anyone seen any of these 40 gr. HP's on the shelves of gun shops lately. I haven't seen any for 3 or 4 years. My old 581S and 541S loves them. The local squirrels, not so much. I am down to 350 of them. Sure would like to find some. Has Winchester quite making them?

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Bought A brick at local Cabelas couple weeks ago, they also had the SSHP 42gr shells in 500 round bricks. I got the stander 40gr sshp for 50 dollars and the 42gr ones for 56 dollars, that's all they where allowing to buy at one time. Cabelas has been the best spot to find 22 ammo in my area...

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the reply. At least they still make it. Now I just have to find some. The nearest Cabelas store to me is a 4 hour drive. I have never tried the 42 gr. Have you shot any of them.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
the plain old=fashioned 40 grain power=point hollowpoints have worked for me.

if I'm understanding it correctly, win sells the 42 grain product in both sub-sonic hp, and high velocity product.

I haven't found any or shot any.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I also like those quite a bit....the 40 gr load, in the silver box with the truncated cone style HP. i also tried the 42gr Max subsonic (black box load) but the 40's shot quite a bit better in my guns.

pretty sure they are still making them, back a few months ago i bought a whole case of the silver box super-x subs... probably overpaid, but they have become my favorite mid-priced SSHP's.

Eley out shoots them in a few of my guns, but eley subs were a bit more spendy, and i think the Winchester with the very large HP expands better.

============================================================

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
BPS in Garland Tx had some today.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sounds like they are still around. I hope I can find some. I shoot them only for squirrel hunting since they are so hard to come by here in southwest Indiana. I would snatch up all I could find at this point. Both the Eley and the RWS subsonic HP's will shoot just a little better in my rifles but for the price Winchesters are hard to beat. I believe they expand a little better as well.

Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester has a video out that in slow motion shows that bullet expanding upon impacting a grape. Yea, a grape! They sure do a number on squirrels. While I try to make head shots I'm not opposed to shooting a squirrel tight to the front shoulder if necessary. That Winchester Sub Sonic makes a resounding "pop" when it hits. Squirrels just go limp and slump dive out of the tree.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Those are probably the best of the SSHP I have used for sq. Second would be Fiocchi. CCI would be third, and when it was available it was the best value.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An excellent round and while not as accurate as target, plenty accurate in my .22's and I've used them for silhouette (and squirrel) the last couple years as I bought a half a case back when they were easily available (@$1.83 a box, why oh why didn't I buy more?)

I've found the new Norma Tac22 to be an excellent target round so I'll switch to that for silhouette and save the last brick of the Winchester I have for squirrels and groundhogs. championshooterssupply.com had the Norma in stock a couple weeks ago and I bought 10 bricks so good for a couple years, unless the election all goes wonky lefty again. cry

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
eley subs were a bit more spendy, and i think the Winchester with the very large HP expands better.

Eley's are spendy. They wanted around $16/box of 100 at BPS yesterday.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Shot my CZ UL with the Win 40gr SSHP yesterday and the group size was right in there with Eley SSHP in this rifle. I was only shooting at 34 yards as long as my backyard range goes but in was A average of five, five shot groups. Cant wait till next weekend or squirrel opener, first year with the 28in barreled CZ and subs, I love to hear the thudwack of the hit....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by driftless
Shot my CZ UL with the Win 40gr SSHP yesterday and the group size was right in there with Eley SSHP in this rifle. I was only shooting at 34 yards as long as my backyard range goes but in was A average of five, five shot groups. Cant wait till next weekend or squirrel opener, first year with the 28in barreled CZ and subs, I love to hear the thudwack of the hit....

pix will be required. wink

with subs in that long tube, they'll never hear it comin...i shoot SSHP's mostly also, and the coolest part, especially on long shots is that SPLOTTTT when that bullet smacks 'em. Of course, that long slow cartwheel they do outa the top of the tree is cool too.

what glass is on top of the Lux?

============================================================

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Leupold 2-7 rf scope is on my 452 UL it is small enough to fit behind the rear sights and the bell is small enough to stay away from the high bolt lift of the CZ. Subs are the way to go for squirrels, last season I got caught without any HP subs and used mini mags and missed the smack of the hits and the squirrels did not die any faster. So I set myself up with the long tube CZ, kind of like A suppresser without all the paper work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I burned up a few today, the last of a box I bought to try out in a CZ a few years back. They did okay, and printed dead-on at 50 along with a few others.

I must have been holding my mouth the right way when I put the RSI back together the other day after putting in an Ernie's trigger spring. The RWS SS HPs are 1/2" high at 50, while the Win SS HPs and CCI SGBs were dead-on. Even some Fiocchi HPs were close enough for most puposes. Guess I'll have to pull out some others to retry. The RWS is my mainstay, but it's good to have a fallback position.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a box of the Win 42gr HP high velocity and my 77/22 didnt like them. Shot about a 2" group at 50 yds.

RWS rifle target is my go-to ammo. It shoots about a 3/4" group at 50 yds.

I hope to replace the stock barrel before next year and tighten up that group.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't seen any in some time. I still have a supply but that is dwindling.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,487
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.