-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not fishing as much as in the past but I used to fish two fays a week in the salt. Surf, wading and boat fishing. I used spinners almost exclusiving. What I didnt have shimano stellas on I used either Penn SS or Quantum Cabos. Cabos would be in your price range. I used them on both my shark and tarpon rods as well as my guest surf rods. Some of these reels are 12-13 years old and in perfect working condition. I would occassionally ruin a bearing on the bail on the shimanos as I used them for wading and they might spend up to 5 to 6 hrs in the saltwater getting dunked. I never had any troubles with any thing else. The Penns are tough but heavy. The quantums took a beating as sharks are rough on drags. I guess I would say take a look at the quantums and the penns.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're not going to have a " coffee grinder" condition with a Shimano Stradic, or Quantum Cabo. Nor will there be anything that can ruin an Accurate twin spin.

I think that after using these for a long time and bringing in a lot of big fish primarily lemon, bull, and blacktip sharks, plus decent size groupers too. They still function as if they were brand new. This is from both shore and boat. When from the boat some fish were chased to simply expedite the retrieval process, not because they could not winch them in.

I caught 15 sharks last week all on spinning gear. My wife had one blacktip on her rod when we were fishing for snook with live pinfish. This was a small Shimano stradic FJ with 20lb braid. Not knowing instantly what she had on, she used her thumb on the spool to slow down the departure, The drag knob was already fully tight ( max drag 20 lbs). We did not want the snook to get into the Mangrove roots and we were fishing on the edge of them. So the drag was already tightened down hard. The Blacktip shark came out of the water 4 times during this lightening speed run.

It took 10-15 seconds for the drag to stop screaming, I asked her if he broke off, (we were using a mono leader). She turned to me and said, I don't have any line left! 220 yards of 20lb braid gone in a blink of an eye with 20lbs of drag pressure.

No damage to the reel other then a hella hot spool! I have 100% confidence in the Stradic reels, they are the feel and function of the highest quality reels made by anyone anywhere at any price. However they don't have the bling and name recognition of the saltiga, expedition, the Stella, or the Accurate twinspins etc.

The 2015 Stradic FK now has a forged drive train now as well. They are simply excellent spinning reels at a price that is difficult to believe when compared to those reels that are " famous" for setting insane price levels!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont think I would pay todays prices for a Stella. I have a half dozen 4000 stradics , older 2002/4 models. Never had any problem with those so long as we didnt wade with them and dunk them in the water. Sounds like they have improved them. I would buy one for certain.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Pete,

For your purposes, like JJ, I'd recommend the Stradic FJ if you can find them. That will be the one with the white metal body. They've been replaced with the FK now, so you may be able to find them at a discounted price, if they're still out there. I've got (2) 4000's on inshore 7'-0 rods and they work well for speckled trout (2-4#) up to 40"+ long redfish, or red drum, which are known for their fighting. For your purposes, I might step on up to a 6000 for a little more power and line capacity. Find yourself a surf rod of choice and a jigging rod around 6'-0 long and you're set for most anything up to, and likely in excess of, the 50# mark. Simply switch the reel between the 2 rods as needed.

David Walker

Last edited by x2mosg; 11/11/15.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Pete E
Sometime after Christmas, I may be in a position to take up saltwater fishing. It will be primarily from the shore, (I think in the US, it would be termed surfcasting?) but boat fishing might figure sometime in the future.

I know very little about this style of shore fishing, but most of the species around the UK coast seem to be sub 50lb. Cod and Bass seem to be popular target species, but we get a lot of others too.

I am looking to be using baits rather than lures and the traditional set-up seems to be a 12-’13’long rod off the beach using what we term a “multiplier” reel but what I think you guys would consider a conventional casting reel .

However in recent years Fixed Spool (spinning?) reels are gaining popularity as with other developments, they can almost reach the distances of a typical multiplier..

I should say I hate multipliers with a passion and I am only interested in a fixed spool.

Anyway, getting to the point, I am looking for input on the Penn Spinfisher V SS series and the US model of the Shimano Baitrunner D series ?

Penn in general doesn’t have a good reputation over here, but that seems to be more their lower end models?? The two reels mentioned are about the same price over here, and about the top end of my budget.

Any thoughts on either of those series of reels?
Sorry - where in the US are you moving to and what will you be fishing for? That will answer a lot of quesitons, casting far does not equal fish for example....

IC B2

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wardman,

I am over in the UK and will be fishing the coast and estuaries not too far from my home..

Due to work and other things, not really had time to myself over the last several months. However I've just finished moving house now, so hopefully will be able to get back into shooting, deer stalking and some fishing in the New year..

Regards,

Peter

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (35, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.