Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
" Greenhoused"....Snork! grin

We do that with dope for dog training in hot weather...except we call it " shake and bake" grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cool! Apparently "greenhoused" is an inter-discipline scientific term!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Cool! Apparently "greenhoused" is an inter-discipline scientific term!

JB, isn't that inter-disciplinary...? smile

I have some 335 that I bought for my Sig 5.56 so I guess I'd better be careful with it. It CAN get pretty warm here! I've also got a keg of CFE-223 so I'll be working on it for a while.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Darkker

When you are only matching charges and your velocity exceeds book values, it's because you are using the same thing as the book. It is possible that you have some tight tollerances, but not likely. The reasonable explaination is the different lots of powder(tested, Vs. what you use), when you burning speed is faster, you have higher pressures.

Don't think so on this.
Running 100 fps over hodgdon for benchmark at 1/2 grain under max. Running 40 fps over nosler for the same charge using benchmark.

25.5 grains BM
Norma Brass
52 grain SMK
CCI BR4
average over the Oheler is 3450 for 5 10 shot strings, 2 different lots through 2 rifles of the same manufacturer.
Don't think those components are what they used in the book

Swifty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by romad97
I started working up a load for my 223 ackley this past weekend. I got 4 different sources for my min max using a 62 gr barnes ttsx and cfe223. Hodgdons website was the highest at 27 gr which shows a velocity of 3,200 fps. I understand that these numbers are with a 24" 1:12 twist and I am running a 22" 1:8 twist so my numbers will be slightly less. However, at hodgdons max load recommendation I am barely getting 3,000 fps. There were no signs of pressure so I ran some more bullets up by .1 gr each until I hit 28 gr. Although I saw no effects of over pressure I still felt as though I should probably stop becouse I just don't like to push things when it comes to safety. But, even at 28 gr I am only getting 3,108 fps, almost 100 below what hodgdon shows at a grain less. So, what is more important in terms of safety, my chrono numbers or pressure signs in my brass? I am not a speed freak, more of an accuracy freak actually but, when using the barnes bullets I like to get max speed out of them as this produces better bullet performance on the all coppers.

Romad27, I don't have the Ackley version, but in a couple 223s with bullets from 50-75 gr, I've gotten my best results in the way of accuracy and speed from CFE.

I prefer to load up in increments until I find obvious pressure signs, so I have an idea where I am as far as pressure. As others have pointed out, 223 data has a max average pressure upper limit of 55K psi, which is far lower than what bolt actions do with other cartridges. Since yours is Ackley'd, it will require more powder to get up to std 223 pressure, and you can go almost 20% over that (in pressure, not powder charge) and still be within the MAP of other cartridges, such as 22-250 or 270 Win. What I am saying is that you can add more powder. Moar! Let the chronograph and your accuracy decide for you, as long as you see no danger signs.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by romad97
I started working up a load for my 223 ackley this past weekend. I got 4 different sources for my min max using a 62 gr barnes ttsx and cfe223. Hodgdons website was the highest at 27 gr which shows a velocity of 3,200 fps. I understand that these numbers are with a 24" 1:12 twist and I am running a 22" 1:8 twist so my numbers will be slightly less. However, at hodgdons max load recommendation I am barely getting 3,000 fps. There were no signs of pressure so I ran some more bullets up by .1 gr each until I hit 28 gr. Although I saw no effects of over pressure I still felt as though I should probably stop becouse I just don't like to push things when it comes to safety. But, even at 28 gr I am only getting 3,108 fps, almost 100 below what hodgdon shows at a grain less. So, what is more important in terms of safety, my chrono numbers or pressure signs in my brass? I am not a speed freak, more of an accuracy freak actually but, when using the barnes bullets I like to get max speed out of them as this produces better bullet performance on the all coppers.

Same old schit...different day,nary a firsthand reply about the melding in question and a buncha' fhuqking Whining to boot.

Firstly,CFE,TAC,etc are gonna leave you wanting. Hint.

Secondly,all of my 223AI's will eat 28grs of '335 and make 3400fps in formed R/P hulls with 400's and a moly smooch.

Thirdly,the "Pressure Woes" are contrived nonsense and finally Accurate Powders(of all people),has submitted 62K PSI 5.56/223 data. I always thunked it funnier than fhuqk,that them who are in a hurry to throw the Pressure Flag and scream "Foul!","think" that folks gun 223 and 223AI at different pressures,to sweeten the pot. FUNNY schit!

Fourthly,besides putting store in the wrong propellant,you are in wayyyyyyyy over your fhuqking head and barely running on 3 cylinders.

Fifthly,none of these Stupid Fhuqkers shoot anything other than their mouths and Imaginations...if only obviously.

Sixthly,a chronograph WILL reliably keep your lips hooked to your face.

Seventhly,read your rifle,not an arbitray "Manual" for a chambering different from your's.

Eightly,as per the Law Of Averages,a Custom spout in a given chambering,will make like pressure with less propellant,due simply to minimized dimensioning in the chamber,throat and bore. I really enjoyed the notion above,wheree some dumb Fhuqk cited someone gunning 10 different OEM rifles and got 10 different speeds and nary a pressure reading to corroborate the fhuqking obvious. That being,as dimensional tolerancing ran the gamut,so did velocity...meaning PRESSURE. If all the barrels were operating at 55K PSI,the differences would be dick nothing. Hint.

'Bout wheels up,so it's a wrap.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Schit is easy,if you let it be.

Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Awww damn, I see twig/ boxette is still very eloquently nasty as ever. Guess there are some extremely constant things in this world other than death and taxes. laugh

Swifty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Velocity, assuming you started measuring low, tells you much closer than anything else; what your Pressure is.
Grains don't mean much, as the lot variances are so large.

In the end, one of these loads is well over max grains listed, one is under. But the velocity matches the book data, as well as the Pressure.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.