Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Dear Guys,

I have been looking for a Winchester Model 64, in VG shape, 24", non-delux, for a fairly long time now. Almost every one I have seen has an asking price of $1,250 or more.

I recently found one in a pawn shop. The tag is marked Win. 94, so I'm pretty sure that they don't know what it is.

The rifle is definitely in VG+ shape. Gently used. Probably 96% to 98% of wood and metal finish remaining, with the wear in all of the right places. The bore is very nice. No cracks whatsoever in the wood. No significant dents or dings.

The asking price is $585.

I was about to jump on it, when I noticed the muzzle. The muzzle has been recrowned (very nicely), but not with a traditional Winchester type factory crown. It is a recessed type crown, very similar to what you see on Browning A bolts. Not exactly a target crown, but similar.

So my question is, what do you think of the asking price? I think the Modern Gun Digest lists the value of a VG Model 64 at around $1,000. I don't know what you would subtract for the recrown.

And, if I got it, should I get it recrowned again, to a traditional Winchester type field crown?

Thanks for all advice.

Mannyrock

GB1

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Oops. I just downloaded the pictures I took on my cell phone to my computer, and expanded them up.

It appears to me that the wood has been refinished, beautifully done, but refinished nonetheless. It looks totally natural, and flows nicely.

So, please take this into account in any advice you give.

Maybe now it has zero collector value, and is just a really nice shooter? (But, given that the brand new 94 junk that Winchester is now cranking out, with 26 inch barrels, goes for around $1,000, maybe still a good buy?)

Thanks,

Mannyrock

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You didn't say what cartridge it is but that sounds fair for a shooter....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For that price, I'd grab it if it tickles your fancy. No, it's not a primo collectors piece with the recrown, but it's not priced as one either. Refinished wood, how can you tell? Is the wood sanded below the surface of the metal? That's always a deal killer for me.

Pictures would help.

Last edited by tmitch; 09/29/15.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the rifle was made in 1950, and is in .30-30.

The wood has not been sanded below the metal at all. Wood to metal fit is excellent. So, the refinish was apparently done with a very light touch.

The refinish was hard to spot at first, but I can now see that there are a few light scratches in the wood that the finish is on top of. Also, I see evidence that the nose cap was removed, so that the forestock could be pulled for refinishing. Very slightly buggered nose cap screw, plus a couple of distinctive light scratches along the bottom of the mag tube in front of the nose cap, telling me that they had trouble sliding the nose cap back on, plus a couple of small dings (that look like mallet wacks) on the nose cap.

Am I correct that there would be no real collector value to this type of piece, and that it is now just a shooter?

Oh well, whatever it is, it is definitely a beautiful, mechanically sound, pre-64 lever action. Amazingly, people are now asking $1,200 for the crummy Model 64A made in the 1960s, with the powdered receivers! I guess those have now reached collector status.

Mannyrock

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
As described, gun would be of no interest to a collector....

Wood should actually be slightly proud to the metal....

Personally, I'd pass on the gun....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a nice looking 64 to shoot and hunt but don't want to pay 100% collector grade rifle prices, sounds like you found it. If you want a 100% correct rifle but don't want to pay the going rate, you'll probably be looking for a fairly long time to come.
BTW, the forend being removed is not necessarily indicative of a refinish. My father took the wood off his M64 every year after deer season to dry it out and oil it. I've done the same with some of my tube feed guns after hunting in inclement weather.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Guys,

Thanks very much for all of the advice. May I ask a favor please? I have a very close up picture of the bore, and though I have never looked at a barrel that has been relined before, this sure looks like one to me.

I would be glad to e-mail the picture to you to look at on regular e-mail. I can't figure out how to post pictures on this site. All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Mannyrock

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well, the picture is up.

Any opinions as to whether this bore has been relined?

I notice that when you look closely, you can see small straight lines radiating outward from the bore, like little spokes in a wheel. These seem to line up with the edges of the lands that are inside of the bore.

I have never seen any markings like this before, and that is why I started wondering about a reline.

Thanks for any opinions. (Won't hold you to em.)

Mannyrock

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you are looking for a shooter - I would ask if arrangements could be made to test fire it. While you won't have exact results, 5 rounds through it could tell you what you want / need to know about performance and whether you should buy.
Good luck.

bkmeis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,078 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.