Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
All this talk on the reduced load thread has me thinking....then using the reduced loads in the field the last couple days has planted the germ of an idea in my head, that I think will fester into a full blown infection.
The Trail Boss load ( 8.0 gr) behind a 55 grain bullet in my .223AI looks to be motoring at 22 mag velocities, performs like a .22 mag, and actually makes less noise than one...with a plus factor in accuracy out to 100 yards.

Whats not to like?
A) Roll your own at a comparative cost
B) Low report
C) Get to shoot your 'bigger' guns more...
D) Have plenty of salvageable small game meat left...over using a standard load.
E) And you get to mess with more gun stuff! laugh

Before any naysayers chime in wondering what the hell you'd do this for...its mainly "E"

I like messing with gun stuff.

Buttttt...Im really liking the low report and more consistent accuracy of the reduced loads, and there are more than enough rifles in the stable that I can have one 'dedicated' to reduced loads...or maybe two.... whistle

What say the 'fire?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I say you have voiced perfectly what I have been thinking this past few months. Shooting rimfire is fun but being able to mess with my rifles, load rounds and develop a special load for each rifle I shoot is much more enjoyable to me.

The 100 yard accuracy gain is the icing on the cake.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
The noise reduction I think helped in shooting bunnies yesterday I was able to get a few doubles, and two triples...as the #2 and #3 bunnies didn't run at the report of #1 wink

And they were all pretty close...within 60 or so yards...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
that had to be fun...

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I had a ball. Killed 18 bunnies, head shots only, in less than two hours...and that included the time to skin, dress and ice them all. grin

I was in here....bunny heaven.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
cut those little rascals up, roll 'em in flour and throw 'em in hot grease. Follow that up with a good gravy, some biscuits and you've got a damn fine meal.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Lyman makes a 55gr double cavity mold in .224.

Might be just the thing to save you good jacketed bullets and have something that expands at bunny velocities.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
cut those little rascals up, roll 'em in flour and throw 'em in hot grease. Follow that up with a good gravy, some biscuits and you've got a damn fine meal.

I fry them in butter...do the rest and it is absolutely one of my all time fave meals. I put 32 bunnies in the freezer this week, so Im ready for a bit...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Haven't done the butter thing...I'd be concerned about smoke but it sounds like it's something I should try.
You have enough laid by to get you to Thanksgiving...maybe.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Do butter on medium heat or it will burn.....

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Likely won't shoot any bunnies down here until we get some chilly weather. Can't get away from the old sage advise of waiting until cold weather too far.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
I had a ball. Killed 18 bunnies, head shots only, in less than two hours...and that included the time to skin, dress and ice them all. grin

[Linked Image]

Sounds like Montana is having a great bunny year.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
We haven't had our first frost yet, but I habitually check all bunnies. No warbles, no tularemia, and I saw exactly one flea so far. They were all in excellent health.

Till the 55 grain Hornady express pulled into the station.... whistle

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

[Linked Image]

Sounds like Montana is having a great bunny year.

Pretty obvious high point in the cycle, and south of us in Wyoming they are thick on the ground like Ive never seen...but they want $20 a day for Non-res small game and have a limit of 10 bunnies.

wtf!

Montana has no closed season and no bag limit.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

Might be just the thing to save you good jacketed bullets and have something that expands at bunny velocities.

It would be cheaper...and messing with more gun stuff.... whistle

However, Ive got to say, they don't really need to expand a bunny velocities.... wink

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

It would be cheaper...and messing with more gun stuff.... whistle

However, Ive got to say, they don't really need to expand a bunny velocities.... wink

Yea, when you shoot everyone in the eyeball, it's kind of a done deal.

I was thinking it would be fun to do something similar for my girls. They will probably be taking mostly body shots at this point, so the lead bullets should work well for them. Should make for some fun bunny hunts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

A couple years ago I did an article for HANDLOADER on "Beating the Rimfire Shortage," on considerable experimentation with various rounds to duplicate rimfire performance. I did buy a Lyman mold that with typical wheelweights throws a 43.5-grain roundnose, but the most accurate load in the .223 was the 40-grain Speer Spire Point and 16.0 grains of one of your old favorites, IMR4895. (I always have a large supply of IMR4895 n hand as well.) Muzzle velocity in a 22" barrel is just under 1600. 6.0 Trail Boss with the 45 Remington RN shot very well too, at around 1800 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Lee recently released a new .224 design (not the Bator) and it's available in 6 cavity molds.

Kaine Bullet Molds also makes some interesting options that are more streamlined, and are for powder coating. 100-count sample packs used to be available from them pretty reasonable, might still be?

Of course, all this is a reminder why the old 22 Hornet is still around too.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

A couple years ago I did an article for HANDLOADER on "Beating the Rimfire Shortage," on considerable experimentation with various rounds to duplicate rimfire performance. I did buy a Lyman mold that with typical wheelweights throws a 43.5-grain roundnose, but the most accurate load in the .223 was the 40-grain Speer Spire Point and 16.0 grains of one of your old favorites, IMR4895. (I always have a large supply of IMR4895 n hand as well.) Muzzle velocity in a 22" barrel is just under 1600. 6.0 Trail Boss with the 45 Remington RN shot very well too, at around 1800 fps.

Thanks JB...I'll be writing that one down!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.