-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have one? Anything I need to know? Considering getting one for the family, with occasional use hunting upland birds.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
No experience here but would love to hunt over one.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Contact Sactoller here on 24hr.

This is his sig-line image smile

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Anyone have one? Anything I need to know? Considering getting one for the family, with occasional use hunting upland birds.

SS

Should be great as a family dog.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A friend had had three females and they are very bright and friendly companion dogs......no experience with hunting them.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first Toller love upland, she really shined on pheasant and chuckar.

My current girl, loves to duck hunt and thinks quail hunting is the cats ass!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well it looks like we will be picking up our male toller pup on Dec 20th, so the hunt for a good name is on. So far my list includes :

Ruger
Cooper
Dakota
Copper
Zeke

Wife is liking Ruger the best so far. Any other suggestions?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rigby

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't mind Rigby but the wife isn't keen for some reason. I also like Argo, but see above...

Anyone have good training book recommendations? I have had farm dogs while growing up, but this will be my first retriever/indoor dog so I have a lot to learn.

SS

-Henry Van Dyke
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Don't mind Rigby but the wife isn't keen for some reason. I also like Argo, but see above...

Anyone have good training book recommendations? I have had farm dogs while growing up, but this will be my first retriever/indoor dog so I have a lot to learn.

SS

Evan Graham, Bill Hillman and Mike Lardy materials are good.I personally used the Lardy material, Volume 1 would be all you need. DON'T let anyone tell Wolters books are good. They are the worst. I would recommend finding a local AKC hunt test club to train with. Go to a hunt test this Spring and watch the dogs run. That will tell who the better trainers are and learn from them.
P.S. Dogs with names like Ruger, hunter, gunner , etc. are way too common. Stick with two syllable names.

Last edited by LostHighway; 12/16/15.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam Nero or Rex are not names that you will hear too offen. Good ludck with the pup. Merry Christmas. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,273
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.