Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well, what's gonna happen to all the VW diesels? mtmuley

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i think that the price of them has gone down a good bit recently. Low gas prices and a recall on them seems to be hurting their resale value. I have been looking at the jettas on the used market for the last few months and the prices seem to have dropped about 1500

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We put about 115K miles on a diesel Jetta wagon. We got a very good price on it when it was new and it reliably got 39-40 mpg, but maintenance and repairs wiped out the lower fuel costs and the lower purchase price. When we traded it, we were looking at needing another new timing belt and major A/C repairs--a little over two grand at an independent shop which does very good work at about half that of the dealership's service department. YMMV.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I was referring to the whole software snafu. If the cars can't meet emissions without the software detecting an emissions test and fooling the test, will they continue to be legal to drive in areas that require inspection? mtmuley

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They will be reprogrammed by VW to meet the standards. New vehicles will not be sold, period, until the fix has been done. With the $$ lost in inventory stasis and the cost of installing new software, VW won't have much incentive to discount new vehicles. Vehicles currently in service will be legal to drive until they fail an inspection.

There may be owners of current vehicles that would sell or trade them sooner rather than later because of the anticipated decline in fuel mileage after the software fix. Go down to Missoula and find a VW diesel owner who is disenchanted--there should be more than a few.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife has a 2012 Jetta wagon TDI we bought used about 18 months ago. It runs well and gets good mileage. I don't intend to get it reflashed if I can help it. I have no doubt that the car has lost some value, but in the long run it may stablize if new ones aren't available. Lots of aftermarket parts, software, etc available for them so am not too worried about it at this point. Although if offered a buyback at a reasonable price, I would consider it.

Regards,

Tom
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If I understand it correctly, it isn't as simple as a software fix. I'm not looking to buy one, don't care for imports, but I bet there are a ton of them in Missoula. Second only to Subaru's. mtmuley

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If they can't meet the emission standards they'll be off the market entirely until they can. The computer coverup was hiding the fact that their emissions are too high to meet EPA regulations.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The emissions will be improved by a slight detune. The main problem is NOx, a product of high combustion temp/pressures. It should be fixable with a flash, VW's scandle was an automatic detune when the computer recognized a test underway. The bigger problem will be if the fix reduces mpg, or performance, below advertised numbers.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know this is an argument that will not satisfy the masses but can't VW say we simply designed the vehicle to pass the test as it was administered? we were required to pass a test by the EPA, we did just that. I think they should be left alone and the EPA should change the way it test if it has a problem with it.

if I owned one I can say this no way in hell am I letting it be reflashed. I bet there is a significant reduction in fuel mileage.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Cummins did the same thing years ago with the 24 valve engines in the dodge pickups. My 99 had a recall to be reflashed after they were caught doing the same thing as volkswagen. I took it in and had it reflashed and didn't notice any noticeable power reduction or mileage penalty.

However, that was 16 years ago and the emissions standards were much less tight than now. There's no telling what a reflash will do to a volkswagen TDI. At a minimum I'd wait until owners reports start rolling in about what it actually does to mileage and power. The big question is whether the government, either state or federal, puts in place some kind of regulation that says tags can't be renewed or the vehicles registered without the reflash. That would make them unsaleable unless you have it flashed. In states with diesel emissions testing it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll not pass you on the test unless you have it reflashed. Fortunately my home state of Mississippi doesn't have any emissions testing so if I owned one I could probably go without getting it recalled. I'll bet that someone living in a place like California or New York is going to be forced to have it done or they'll have to park the vehicle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (219DW, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.