Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I posted a thread awhile ago about the Minn-Kota electric motor that came on my boat. I pulled it off and sold it for $200.00 on Craigslist and have been watching like a hawk for a decent deal on a gas kicker motor to go along with the 25hp main. Would've really liked a four-stroke, but way more $$$ than the wife thought I should spend on the boat.

Anyway, came across this motor on Craiglist tonight for $350.00 with a fuel tank and hose and it was 20 minutes from home. As far as I can tell it's a 1996 model and is as clean as clean. I need to start with fresh fuel and give it a test run, but can't imagine there's any reason why it won't purr like a kitten.

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wow that thing looks like it came out of a time warp. If it runs as good as it looks I'm going to say you got a deal. Happy trolling

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One thing you might do is,change your fuel hose to one that is resistant to the ethanol.Most of the older hoses are not.They start coming apart on the inside and can give you a lot of costly repairs down the line.Also I'd run premium gas,it has less ethanol and don't forget to always add fuel stabilizer.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I run non-ethanol in my main motor so will also run it in the kicker. I need to get rid of the old fuel in the tank and replace it so I can see how it runs.

Can't believe how clean this motor is for being damn near 20 years old.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a sore dick deal.

The old 2 strokes will run a loooong time with a little care and maintenance.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 20 mariner of the same vintage. They are wonderful motors and easy to maintain. You got a great deal and it's super clean! Was the prop in good shape?

Only thing I would do besides change the gas out like you mentioned is I would put a new impeller in it just to be safe. They aren't very expensive and aren't that hard to do yourself if your handy wrench wise.

Does it shift buy throttle?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Prop is excellent. The shift and throttle are in the handle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just to be an ass I have to point out that it's not really a kicker motor but a 8hp motor. Kickers would be geared lower, have a larger prop and a stronger mount and be a 4 stroke. Sorry just one of my pet peeves. Looks like you got a great motor at a great deal.

On a 20 year old motor I would replace the gas hose and the impeller. I also wouldn't worry about ethanohl at all. I was anal about it on my Yamaha 115F4 and T8 the first couple years then realized it doesn't make any difference.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice motor. I unhook the gas line and let the motors run out before storing for the winter. They start every spring.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Started on the second pull, but the water stream is intermittent so definitely needs a new impeller. Also smokes pretty good, but I think that will clear up after it's run a bit.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not a mechanical guy what-so-ever and I can replace an impeller in no time with only the basic hand tools I own.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
also crack the bottom oil plug; if it runs white, you have a leaky seal in the lower end; if oil, your good to go.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I dropped it off at the local shop for a fluid change, impeller, and tune up.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is a really clean motor for a great price. I picked up an early '90's Johnson 15hp kicker, for my 22-footer, from the original owner. It still had the break-in oil mix in the tank!

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Water won't come out the pee hose very well till the thermostat opens. Even if the impeller is brand spanking new, so don't get alarmed when it doesn't start out squinting like a fire hose when you get it back and fire it up. It will squirt a solid stream when it warms up.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Water won't come out the pee hose very well till the thermostat opens...

I've had boats most my 72 years, and have never seen this.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
75 evinrude is like that. That changed in 77 when the hose was connected to the exhaust cover plate thing (technical word). The Mariner I have does that and I asked my buddy who I bought it from and he said the mechanic who I also know well had just put a head gasket and impeller in it and did the lower unit. It spits water when it's cold. You can hold your hand under it and it's luke warm. As soon as it pumps a hard solid stream you have to pull your hand away, that's the moment the state opens. It takes longer in the winter for both of my outboards. I have had several but my 15 and 20 are the only two that do this. I asked my mechanic and he said it was normal on those particular motors. Apparently the hose is after the stat and not before it, which makes zero sence, but that's what they do. Shrug...

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Now I'm down to a 3hp Yamaha, a 3.5hp Tohatsu, and the 15hp Johnson, all 2-strokes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Outboard poor are you LOL.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Water won't come out the pee hose very well till the thermostat opens. Even if the impeller is brand spanking new, so don't get alarmed when it doesn't start out squinting like a fire hose when you get it back and fire it up. It will squirt a solid stream when it warms up.

Once the thermostat opens should it be a pretty steady stream and then stay that way as long as the motor is running? When I ran the motor it would pee strong, then dribble, then pee strong, then dribble...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.