Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Cougarz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know many of you are great fans of the M700 so I would like to know what you think of the SPS. I've been thinking of buying a .300 Winchester magnum and don't want to spend a whole bunch on one. Tikka comes to mind, I already have one in .22-250, but a .300WM in such a light rifle leaves me a little cold, so the 700 SPS is what I've been considering. Besides they're pretty plentiful just in about every store.

My question is what do you think of the newest 700 SPS's and how is their quality these days? I've already been through the recall mess with an XCR II I have so I'm a little leary of Remington lately. What say you?

Last edited by Cougarz; 09/29/15.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive had excellent luck with the SPSs....

They might need a little tinkering.....First off the Xmark Pro trigger is pure crap. It needs to be replaced...Timney is a good bet.
Second, if you aren't happy with the out of the box accuracy you might want to pull the stock, buzz out the speed bumps and bed the lug. The SPS stocks are cheap but surprisingly stiff and serviceable....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've got one in a 308 at the moment but have been very satisfied with it. I will buy more them if the need arises.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive had excellent luck with the SPSs....

They might need a little tinkering.....First off the Xmark Pro trigger is pure crap. It needs to be replaced...Timney is a good bet.
Second, if you aren't happy with the out of the box accuracy you might want to pull the stock, buzz out the speed bumps and bed the lug. The SPS stocks are cheap but surprisingly stiff and serviceable....

This.
But so far I have been lucky because all I had to do was cinch the action screws snug and they have shot less than 1 inch groups. Due to the coarse beadblast type finish on the metal the bolt is less than slick but they perform just fine.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just finished bedding an SPS 8 twist 260 into a McSwirly. The trigger adjusted down to a crisp 2.5 lbs with little issue. Shoots 130 NABs into an inch regularly. So far, I'm quite pleased. It will draw blood soon.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1Deernut; 09/30/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

Cougarz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies. One of the reasons for choosing the SPS is the ability to upgrade and still keep the cost within reason. For the most part I've haven't played much with all the available options compared to what some of you guys have done. I did put a Timney on my XCR II - like it alot.

Last edited by Cougarz; 09/30/15.

Will Rogers
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Here is a stainless SPS I 'upgraded"

Punched out to .223AI
Replaced trigger
B&C Ti knockoff stock
Bedded and floated
Talley UL rings
Leupy 3x9 with dotz

Very possibly the most accurate rifle I own....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 09/30/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Cougarz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looks nice. What stock is that? I was thinking about a stainless model.

Will Rogers
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
"One of the reasons for choosing the SPS is the ability to upgrade and still keep the cost within reason."

+1 The Remington 700's are the small block Chevys of the rifle world.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Punched out to .223AI
Replaced trigger
B&C Ti knockoff stock
Bedded and floated
Talley UL rings
Leupy 3x9 with dotz

[Linked Image]

I guess you sold that Burris? grin

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Deernut love that color

Tater
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks. 40 Orange, 60 Black.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

Punched out to .223AI
Replaced trigger
B&C Ti knockoff stock
Bedded and floated
Talley UL rings
Leupy 3x9 with dotz

[Linked Image]

I guess you sold that Burris? grin

I did! laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The McFlame started life as an SPS Stainless too...but it got a new Benchmark barrel...1 in 8 twist .223AI, and the McMillan stock, new trigger, bedded and floated, Redfield 2x7, Talleys......

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That one is nice. I like it.

What did you do with that pink/purple flamer in 270 win? (you know...your favorite one). laugh

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bite me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bite me.

grin

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Heres updated pic of first rifle with Leupy Scope...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're a little rough, but they shoot just fine. My son's 223 sps requires brass be segregated for it as even with an fl pass brass from other guns won't fit it's chamber.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one at the right price.

Cougarz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys now you got me salivating!

I've always admired some your "personalized" creations and wanted to try one myself. In the past I would just buy what I wanted and go hunting. If it didn't fit a specific need (real or imagined) I would pass on it. This one really does fulfill a need. wink. - I think? confused

Last edited by Cougarz; 09/30/15.

Will Rogers
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
What is the going rate for a stainless? Local shop has one for $850 which seems high.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
$620 +/- on Gunbuyer.com and other sites. $725 locally.

I recently bought one in 7-08 and modified it a bit. Shoots under an inch with handloads. I'll post a pic in a minute. I have three SPS models in the safe, all have been modified now.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image]

6# 12 oz with a Hunters Edge, Talley's, a 2.5-8x36 and crowned at 22".

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. 40 Orange, 60 Black.

One of the nicest O/B I've seen in sometime.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dooger,
How you like'n that stock ?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Love it! Got another afterwards...a Classic Edge for my LVSF 17 Rem. I'm getting it back from the smith in the next two days. Ordered a Classic Edge for my 223 too. May get one for my wife's 243 also. They're worth every penny. I'll post a pic of the LVSF in a couple days.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have one in .375 H&H Magnum. It is my varmint rifle with 200 gr Sierras. I have shot prairie dogs and a raccoon and half a dozen deer. I have been playing with 220 Hornady flat nose and would like to shoot a black bear with it.
I am confident the 200 Sierra would do the job but I saw these bullets at a gun show and ........

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
^^^
You are a nut! Varmint rifle? I can't handle 20 rounds from a 300 WM...and proud of it!

How many rounds do you shoot with that thing on a dog town in a day?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How is the stainless? Do they hold up good I know they are bead blasted like a dull finish

Tater
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
How is the stainless? Do they hold up good I know they are bead blasted like a dull finish

They Hold up well....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dooger
Love it! Got another afterwards...a Classic Edge for my LVSF 17 Rem. I'm getting it back from the smith in the next two days. Ordered a Classic Edge for my 223 too. May get one for my wife's 243 also. They're worth every penny. I'll post a pic of the LVSF in a couple days.

Nice!

Which one you like better of the 2 stocks ?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pseshooter300

Good.
Want it changed, just blast it with diff media.

Cougarz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Dooger,

Very nice.......

Will Rogers
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
Originally Posted by Dooger

Nice!

Which one you like better of the 2 stocks ?

I like them both equally. The 17 is a mag contour for predators/varmints, so I went with a slightly bigger (Classic Edge) stock. The 223 is a sporter at 24", so I went Classic Edge there too. My 7-08 is more of a lightweight gun for long packs in or mountain hunting, so I went with the Hunters Edge there. If it were just to be a basic deer rifle at 24", I would have gone Classic. My wife's 243 is a 24" SPS, do I'll probably do a Classic there too.

Since I already have my bases covered for a Mountain Rifle, I don't really see the need for another Hunters Edge. The next dilemma I'm going to have is a good youth stock of some sort. I need to do a complete build one day too, but have no need for any other calibers at the moment.

Last edited by Dooger; 10/02/15.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a reg Classic , that I like. Wish I could handle all the hunting stocks at one time, so many good choices.
Once you start with a Mickey, it's hard to not keep looking that way.

Been thinking heavy on a project,lately....

Thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I really like my SPS in 7mag. I bought it in 2011 to take on a moose hunt in Newfoundland. The rifle shoots 1/2-3/4-inch groups regularly with 160 Partitions. It has killed a moose, several elk and several deer.

It is all stock. I had to clean out the barrel channel a little and just finished doing a little work on the magazine. The trigger is not impressive, as far as quality, but mine is adjusted to about 3.5 pounds, so is acceptable.

The action is not real smooth, but there again, serviceable. I paid just under $600 for the rifle and so overall, I feel like it is a good, dependable rifle for the price.

Like was stated earlier, it does not like brass that was fired in another rifle. If I fire brass in my Savage, some will not chamber if used for the Remington. I think there must be a different curve to the bolt face or something.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a SPS in 7mm-08 that I use for hogs and deer. It is my "foul weather rifle" and I am pleased with it. Durable, and I don't worry about getting it scratched up.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They've been as good for me as my older 700s. The only thing I dislike is the rough finish, which rust very easy. The SS is ok, but still rust easily in our climate. I finally gave up on applying Rig to the blued SPS and had it cerakoted. Other than that, they've been normal ole 700s. I've been lucky with the triggers, all hit 40oz or less with ease.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
The only thing I dislike is the rough finish, which rust very easy.

2 words

Kry Lon.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
izzat really 2 words? LOL

anyhoo, my .375 RUM SPS. it's in my top three...

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That one is nice. I like it.

What did you do with that pink/purple flamer in 270 win? (you know...your favorite one). laugh

He put a rainbow "Obama 2012" sticker on the stock and keeps the gun displayed in a glass case

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 223 that feeds rough but shoots great. My sps ss 7mm RM is a killer with the 150gr ABLR. I also have a sps ss in 243 that shoots great. So, 3 for 3 as far as tight groups. 2 for 3 regarding feeding. All wear B&C Alaskan Ti stocks from stockys.

Keep your eye on the fruit........
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I think Remington put some extra effort into the barrels on the SPS's. I have one in 308 Win that is lights out accurate with Hornady 150's. I have heard others say the same.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Cougarz Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Toad,

I've seen that one pictured before, I really like that .375 Ultra of yours. I wish Remington still chambered their SPS's in the larger calibers.

Last edited by Cougarz; 10/06/15.

Will Rogers
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toad
izzat really 2 words? LOL

Perhaps a bit of poetic license, but "rattle can" should qualify.

That reminds me, I have a black-blued SPS that needs a touch up.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I think Remington put some extra effort into the barrels on the SPS's. I have one in 308 Win that is lights out accurate with Hornady 150's. I have heard others say the same.

Hornady 150s just plain shoot. My Ruger American is incredible with them loaded to 2900+ with CFE223 powder.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought 2 this year a 7mm-08 and 300 WSM they both are tack drivers the 7mm-08 likes Federal 140 ballistic tips and the 300 likes Fusion 180 grain

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BigChief870
I have a 223 that feeds rough but shoots great. My sps ss 7mm RM is a killer with the 150gr ABLR. I also have a sps ss in 243 that shoots great. So, 3 for 3 as far as tight groups. 2 for 3 regarding feeding. All wear B&C Alaskan Ti stocks from stockys.

What load are you running on the ABLR? Always have read that people have a hard time getting them to shoot. Always seconds available at SPS.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
300 Ultra bedded and floated in a B&C. Good for 1/2" with 180gr Partitions. What's not to like?

[Linked Image]

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
wish Remington would offer 338 Win mag in the SPS also either 25-06 or 280 would be nice also

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They do offer it in 25-06

Tater
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I bought one this past spring in 7mm Rem mag and had to take it back. It had a bad chamber right out of the box. The dealer ordered a replacement and it has been a very good rifle. It seems from time to time Remington just sends them out the door as fast as they can build them. I would say over all they are good rifles and they always seem to be tack drivers. I have had several Remington 700's and they all shot very well. As far as price goes I paid $630 new in box. Hope this helps.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just seen they do offer the 25-06 in stainless

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a couple sps rifles one was a 243 that shot well but had it rebarreled to an 8 twist to shoot 105 Bergers. Prior to the rebarrel it was a solid 1" gun under almost any circumstance but I had it bedded in an hs stock. I have another one in a 300 win mag in an hs stock and it seems good as well.

The only thing I don't like is that I wish the black ones had a jeweled bolt like the stainless ones it makes the bolt smoother. Other than that good guns that seem to shoot well.

Last edited by Beaudry; 11/15/15.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (11point, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.