Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10500488 09/30/15
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm tired of politics for the day.

Besides Eley Tenex, what shoots lights out in a Ruger 10/22 with a .920 bull barrel and Bentz chamber?

I've heard good things about Wolf match and SK extra.

I've shot Aguila Super Extra, and it's not bad. Anything else you guys are using?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Whatever I have.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wolf Match Target has shot well in all my .22's.

CCI AR Tactical also shoots great in everything and is priced just a couple cents per shot above the cheapo bulk stuff. In most of my .22's it shoots almost as good as the Wolf ammo.

These two consistently stood out after trying some 5 or 6 different types of .22 ammo. None of my .22's have "match grade" barrels or chambers so I suspect the above ammo would only shoot better in better barrels.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 10/22T's shoot Federal Auto-Match as good as anything else.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
I'm tired of politics for the day.

Besides Eley Tenex, what shoots lights out in a Ruger 10/22 with a .920 bull barrel and Bentz chamber?

I've heard good things about Wolf match and SK extra.

I've shot Aguila Super Extra, and it's not bad. Anything else you guys are using?

Wolf Match is extremely accurate if you don't mind greasy ammo. My go to hunting ammo in the 10-22 is CCI Mini Mags or Winchester Power Point Ammo

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a Shilen barrel on mine and it likes Aguila SE almost as well as Tenex.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Federal Automatch shoots the best for me. The only problem is finding some, but occasionally it's around and not all that pricey.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eley club shoots well in my Clark bull barreled 10/22.

I haven't had much luck replenishing my 22rf reserves but plan on trying a case of Norma TAC-22

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Depends on what you mean by "lights out" and whether you need it to perform for hunting or just make holes in paper.

I'm a squirrel shooter, not a paper puncher. I've had 3-4 fat-barreled 10/22s. They each had different preferences. I had one that shot WW Wildcat loss leader crap better than Eley Tenex. I had one that, despite a supposed benz chamber, fed Stingers very well and shot them quite well. The last one shot bulk Federal hollowpoint Wally-Mart ammo better than most match stuff.

I've never had a .22 that didn't shoot the CCI mini mag hollowpoints in its top 3 so that's generally where I start.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by RickyD
Federal Automatch shoots the best for me. The only problem is finding some, but occasionally it's around and not all that pricey.

Federal Automatch is one of the few brands I have been able to find. And yes it does shoot great in both my 10/22s. One has factory sporter barrel and the other is an Alumalite in bull contour.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 09/30/15. Reason: autocorrect fail
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just to confuse things further, I never met a box of Federal Automatch I liked. Consistent in that it shoots poorly in 3 out of 3 rimfires which includes a pair of 513s (S&T), and a 10/22. The 10/22 shoots CCI SV well, and WW Power Points exceptionally well. The 513s dote on Wolf MT and Norma Tac22.

For the 10/22, more info here:

[Linked Image]

The 513T and Wolf MT is end of the rainbow...

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't buy Federal Automatch. (Save it for me).

Seriously, the only match ammo I've ever bought is Aguila Gold Match and while it's performed nicely in a couple rifles, it didn't noticeably edge out Automatch or even the bulk Federal stuff I bought at Walmart in the 90's for less than $9 a box.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
My 10/22 has a Green Mountain .920 barrel and, like the other guys here have said, it really likes Federal Auto Match. I found mine at Gander Mountain.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 10-22 with a Volquartsen bbl shoots the Winchester 333 stuff just as good as the Ely or CCI Green Dot.
As far as I can tell so far. Haven't tried everything on the market yet.

Go figger

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It pays to try several kinds and not turn up your nose at "cheaper" ammo.

In the mid-80's my friend and I bought a few cases of Winchester Wildcat on sale at K-Mart. That stuff shot great in my Kimber M82 and I used it to win several rimfire silhouette matches against guys shooting umpteen dollar per box target grade ammo. It lasted a good 25 years until I finally shot the last brick. I bought some more Wildcat a few years ago, a couple bricks IIRC and it wouldn't shoot worth squat, at least not anywhere near as well as those earlier lots from the 80's.

Thought the crown on my 45 year old 10/22 was done for since it wouldn't shoot Federal bulk into less than 1 1/2" at 25 yards. But then I broke out some Winchester Super-X bought in the late 90's and it suddenly became a tack driver again.

CCI Standard velocity was disappointing in most guns, I had better hopes for it. Some other so called match grade ammo, I think it was Federal, was also disappointing in my firearms. But when I found that CCI AR Tactical shot so well in everything I slowly stocked up a few years worth in the interim between the Obama I and II shortages.

You just have to try to know.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So no SK users yet?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hatari: My Ruger 10/22 with a Lilja heavy stainless barrel shoots the Winchester Power-Points (40 grain hollow-points) REAL well!
But trying to find that ammo for the last 3 years has been like winning the lottery!
I settle for Federal bulk pack hollow-points - they shoot pretty well accuracy wise and ARE "lights out" on Ground Squirrels and other small Varmints.
I have NOT tried much so called "target ammo" in my fast shooting 10/22 as I use my 10/22's for field shooting of Varmints, Grouse and such.
I hope you can find some Winchester Power-Point 40 grainers to try.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Power Points do well in my 77/22. Not seen any on the shelf for 6 years. Fortunately, I stocked up with the Big O's first comments on middle Amercia's guns and religion before his first go around.

American Eagles also do well, and I'm stocked there too. Not seen those in about 4 years.

The high end target stuff is wonderful, but I can't afford 5 to 7000 rds of that stuff for the squirrel fields each year.

Each rifle is its on entity, so conducting your own research is the best answer.

1Minute
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hatari: My Ruger 10/22 with a Lilja heavy stainless barrel shoots the Winchester Power-Points (40 grain hollow-points) REAL well!
But trying to find that ammo for the last 3 years has been like winning the lottery!
I settle for Federal bulk pack hollow-points - they shoot pretty well accuracy wise and ARE "lights out" on Ground Squirrels and other small Varmints.
I have NOT tried much so called "target ammo" in my fast shooting 10/22 as I use my 10/22's for field shooting of Varmints, Grouse and such.
I hope you can find some Winchester Power-Point 40 grainers to try.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Don't ever say your good buddy Hatari doesn't look after you!

http://www.ammofreedom.com/winchest...mfire%20Rounds&utm_campaign=redirect

http://www.ammofreedom.com/winchest...grain-50-rounds-pp22lrh42u-p-116696.html

https://alamoammo.com/rifle-ammo/22...2-500-rnds-m-id-s22lrt-upc-020892102750?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might try RWS rifle target and pistol target. I shoot a 77/22 and both of these shot pretty good. Their match ammo shot well also.

Wolf target and match both shoot pretty good and are not too pricey. The Wolf ultra-match shoots well, but is pricey.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.