Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone hunting in big country alone would be well served to have a satellite phone or a location device of some sort.

You don't have to be in your 80's to have an emergency.

May the fellow hunter RIP.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Had a hunter near here recently who broke both bones in his lower leg. He crawled for three days and finally found help.

Actually Dad drilled into me, "Do not hunt alone" for six years before he taught me about muzzle control.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
To quote LVMike....."beats dying in bed with a tube in your dick".

RIP old timer.

AMEN. Far better to die hunting than tied to a bed and hooked to a machine.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my great uncle has said many times, that anyone over 70 should have the option of getting a pill from their doctor, as long as their sound of mind, that they can put under there tongue and pass away peacefully whenever they wish. I know for a fact that I would find him over looking our farm on a high hill somewhere with a smile on his face

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by acooper1983
my great uncle has said many times, that anyone over 70 should have the option of getting a pill from their doctor, as long as their sound of mind, that they can put under there tongue and pass away peacefully whenever they wish. I know for a fact that I would find him over looking our farm on a high hill somewhere with a smile on his face
The pill used to be readily available but these days they're hard to come by.

Seriously, though, it's not a good idea for someone that age to be out hunting alone. This is a sad thing whether you prefer to go that way or not. We can joke about it but when it actually happens, it's not so funny.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 09/30/15.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RIP fellow - hope it was a great final hunt. Had a hunting partner once in a while - some excellent guys - but mostly have hunted alone. If all keeps going well, will do it again soon in big/tall country, which is the preference. Probably would do so even if knowing it would end out there.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He got one last hunt in, and I salute him for that!

Auf Wiedersehen, old timer

In 1956, Bernhard Rietmann was house-sitting in Munich for a U.S. Army doctor. The doctor sponsored Bernhard so that he could come to the states. While traveling by ship Bernhard got food poisoning. He landed in a hospital in New York City. The Catholic Mission across the street helped him get a job and housing. He shoveled coal by day and attended New York University at night. Later he worked in a meat packing house in Milwaukee and as a manufacturing plant supervisor in Los Angeles. He helped in the kitchen of a Hawaiian restaurant in Fairbanks, Alaska, and then did stints in Squaw Valley, California, and Aspen, Colorado. All that time he dreamed of owning a mountain lodge.

He read about Jackson Hole in a ski magazine and hitchhiked here in 1964, about the time of the ground-breaking for Teton Village. He worked road construction until he found the perfect property to purchase. Cliff and Helen Owens owned the Holiday Ranch at the base of Teton Pass. Bernhard bought it and transformed it into the Heidelberg, a German restaurant and lodge. He became a U.S. citizen in 1965 under the sponsorship of prominent Jackson resident Cle Clark.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It is sad, but I would imagine that there are other 84-year-olds who would view it as an acceptable end.

+1

Last edited by thelastlemming; 09/30/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunt well and long now, Old Scout,...
Legs strong and limber, eyes keen, and the broadest of satisfied grins on your once again darkly bearded face.

I'd say that little short Nap you took, and just jumped up from was probably one you don't regret.

Condolences to the family and friends

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 4ager
From the article:

Rietmann, an experienced hunter who had gone on solo trips in that area before, had been carrying only a sandwich, water bottle and rifle. The pack he normally carried in the backcountry had been left at home, and he had no cold weather gear along with him.

There's a lesson there for all of us.

small mistakes can have big consequences. A little preparation may well have changed the outcome.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It is sad, but I would imagine that there are other 84-year-olds who would view it as an acceptable end.

I have to see it this way: dying, doing what one loves to do.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
From the article:

Rietmann, an experienced hunter who had gone on solo trips in that area before, had been carrying only a sandwich, water bottle and rifle. The pack he normally carried in the backcountry had been left at home, and he had no cold weather gear along with him.

small mistakes can have big consequences. A little preparation may well have changed the outcome.

What makes you so sure this wasn't his plan all along?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't imagine anything more private than one's own death.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can't imagine anything more private than one's own death.

I would agree.

Plus, while sad, I think I would like to go out the way that gentleman did.

God bless his soul.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i hope he shot a dozen animals before he left the mountain. one last great hunt.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
That's too bad. I hate to hear things like that.

I don't really have a use for a GPS in this open country but last year I bought one anyway. As people get older, sometimes the memory and/or confusion makes it easier to get mixed up and a GPS can be a lifesaver. If this guy got lost and didn't have other problems, a GPS might have got him home safely.

SPOT

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i hope he shot a dozen animals before he left the mountain. one last great hunt.

Somehow I don't think wasting a dozen animals would be the last thing a true hunter would aspire to.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Somehow I don't think wasting a dozen animals would be the last thing a true hunter would aspire to.

Agreed, though I'm not surprised that srwshooter would feel as he does.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
He died doing what he loved. We should all be so fortunate. RIP

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by ironbender
From the article:

What makes you so sure this wasn't his plan all along?

Didn't say it was or wasn't his plan. I have no way of divining that information or conclusion.

I do know that if my plan was to commit suicide via hypothermia, I would not need a sandwich, water bottle and rifle. Perhaps that's a hint that this was accidental.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (163bc, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,748
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.