Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
willycc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Got a Tikka left hand .260.Decided to go with Talley LW to mount a Sightron 3.5-10 Big Sky.Checked the alignment with bars it was fine. Put the scope in the bottom halfs fit fine put the tops on fit fine.Alighned the crosshairs and set the eye relief.Tightened the screws to 18 in/lbs.Checked the eye relief wasn't exactly right.Loosened screws thats when I saw the scope was scatched up and had a dimple pushed up where the rings go together.What did I do wrong?Anyone have this with Talleys I didn't lap because everything lined up I did a search on here before I mounted all posts said no need to lap Talleys.Not happy now I have a screwed up scope

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How did the eye relief change? That may give some clue as to what you did wrong.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hard to say.

How did you tighten the ring screws?

Montana MOFO
W
willycc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
The eye relief didn't change just wasn't exactly where wanted it.Turned screws till snug even gap between ring halfs then tightened in x pattern 24 in/lb bases 18 in/lbs rings Wiha driver

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
With the tops of the rings off and placing the scope in the bottom half is there a substantial gap between the bottom of the rings and your tube. There is no need to lap talley lightweights normally but there have been times where there was a big gap there, lightly lapping them seemed to fix it .

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TLWs are notorious for this. I lap every set.

W
willycc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
There was no big gap top or bottom.Reloader7RM when I did my search wish that would have come up I would have lapped them.As long as I leave then on this gun where they are you can't see it.But it still pisses me off.I really don't think I did anything wrong.The scope came off another gun mounted with Leupold Rifleman rings no marks none.I wanted to put a little nicer mounts on this gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by willycc
Checked the alignment with bars it was fine.

Just something I learned the hard way and got schooled up here on the 'Fire on - if you are using bars with pointed tips and checked alignment tip-to-tip and it looks okay, it may still be out of alignment. Flatend-to-flatend is the way to check.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I absolutely would not use Talleys without lapping.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And I have mounted dozens of scopes in unlapped Talleys without marking a single scope.

Guess the world is just a puzzler....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

W
willycc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Flat end bars.Everything seemed fine wouldn't have seen it if I didn't want to move the scope

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman

I never lap Talleys.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Ringman

I never lap Talleys.

Dats why we call him Wrongman.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just a question, not being argumentative by any means.........When I bought a 7RM from Hill Country Rifles a couple/three years ago, they bedded Talley LW's as well, and lapped them. When I asked why they lapped those rings, they said "we lap every set of TLW's" we install. They love TLW's, but not so much the machinist's who make the actions and bore the screw/mounting holes.

What's up with that?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Just a question, not being argumentative by any means.........When I bought a 7RM from Hill Country Rifles a couple/three years ago, they bedded Talley LW's as well, and lapped them. When I asked why they lapped those rings, they said "we lap every set of TLW's" we install. They love TLW's, but not so much the machinist's who make the actions and bore the screw/mounting holes.

What's up with that?

I'm working with an early Monday morning or late Friday afternoon MkV right now. As close as I can measure there's about a 30 moa difference between where a carefully centered and mounted scope looks and where the bore looks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JG,

The smith lapped the TLWs on the last build I did with a Borden action as well. If he wouldn't have, I would've prior to mounting the Swaro. After my first encounters w/ TLWs putting the mentioned pinch marks on two scopes, I've lapped every set. Not to mention how out of line many have been. And then you mention HCR bedding them as well. I haven't bedded any yet, but I have seen gaps under some sets. I didn't bed as they seemed to have enough bearing surface and held fine.

I really don't like them on Tikkas since it's a flat on flat approach. If you barely snug them, they have a lot of side to side play for terrible alignment, so it's key to align them properly prior to torqing.

You wouldn't think 17inlbs would pinch the tube, but the lever effect is pressing the pivot in. Lapping seems to negate that effect.

I don't doubt folks get by without issues(IE JB's comment), but it's silly to think it doesn't happen.

Have a good one,

loder

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Interesting Reloader. I've been going to Leupy dual dovetails w/Burris Signature rings lately, and will do so again to top off the McWhorter when it gets back here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The DD/Sig combo is nice. I put that combo on my 6.5-06 APS built and don't regret the decision.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yet another Campfire mystery.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
+ on lapping TLW.I had them on a Tikka and they scratched every scope I tried.I call them Tally bites.Most rings are capable of doing this but they seemed the worst to me.I now use Signature rings or Optilocks.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,525 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.