24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What has it cost you folks that have drove up up to AK in fuel costs. Make sure you change your fluids before you go and change your oil every 3000 or so miles, I have heard horror stories on the the fluid situations.

BP-B2

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just can't believe some of you. All indications are for an economy bust like we had in the '80s and you are advising people to move to Alaska? Haven't you read the news about the layoffs of State and oil-industry workers coming up? Also, what the mining industries do when the price of oil comes down is to freeze hiring. All aspects of our economy are affected by these layoffs (don't forget that the larger employers are the State, local governments, and Federal government), then the private sector (oil, mining, fishing, tourism).

What I would advise possible newcomers is to keep on working real hard and amass as much cash as possible wherever you are in the lower-48, and give us about four or five more years before moving up. But if you have lots of money already, watch the Alaska housing and real state markets, and buy when the bubble bursts. That's the time to move in and ride the next boom.

That said, if you are young and strong, don't have a family, everything paid for and have some cash: by all means move up if you like, for you will do fine as long as you stay alive and healthy.

Last edited by Ray; 10/03/15.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by huntersdog
What has it cost you folks that have drove up up to AK in fuel costs. Make sure you change your fluids before you go and change your oil every 3000 or so miles, I have heard horror stories on the the fluid situations.

3000 miles? Ever heard of synthetic...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Logistics is an area where you can a job with the air services, government services(like DOD)retail businesses or even set up shop as an expeditor-shipping stuff out to the Bush..

Sure, there is gloom and doom but I notice that Matsu is building new schools and expanding. Cabelas and Basspro wouldn't expand to Anchorage if they didn't like what they saw for a forecast model.

Sure Alaska has to tighten its belt but if you want you can find a way to live up here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cwh2
Teal, the same thing apply to you (and I must say: "About f-ing time man!" smile )

There are logistics here, and high schools... just saying.

Yeah - I know. I don't have primary custody of my son. Decree says I have to stay within 100 miles...

So I'm currently at 87 miles and it's driving her nuts but law's the law...

Me

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by teal
Sorta in the same boat but different.

My son will be done with HS in 3 years. At that point he's decided to join the service.

Once that happens - I have zero reason to stay where I am.

I definitely want to move to AK. Where? Dunno. My concern is work. Specifically finding work that pays well enough to cover hunting/fishing costs.

Don't have it figured out just yet - being here, not there, is a problem but I have time. Seems like most jobs are in the 12-14 dollar an hour range. NO CLUE how people live on that.

My background is logistics - thought about getting a welding degree to help with job search but don't know. I can get an MBA easy enough too - work down here and save enough to maybe just retire to AK.

I don't need much but I also want to really take advantage of the hunting/fishing up there. Moving there and not being able to afford to do the bear/deer/steelheading I want to do is like camping outside a tittybar's window. [bleep] that.

Heck, even a lot of us who have been living and working in Alaska for a very long time have a difficult time getting time off from work to hunt and fish. And then when we go out there it's combat hunting and fishing. Now, if you have lots of money you can pay a pilot to fly you to a remote location to hunt and fish away from the crowds smile

My concern wasn't the time as much as the money. I see jobs for 14 an hour with rent at 1200 a month. I don't know how someone makes it.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Sorta in the same boat but different.

My son will be done with HS in 3 years. At that point he's decided to join the service.

Once that happens - I have zero reason to stay where I am.

My background is logistics -(This is a freaking golden Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Ticket in Alaska with the Mines(Fort Knox, Red Dog and the Oil Service Companies)

I

I don't know how good your schools are but more established schools on the road system like West Valley High School where I teach are good. We send more kids to Stanford, Harvard, MIT and Brown than the majority of schools you will find. We have a really good Marine JROTC program too.

I would say get your behind up here while the price of fuel is cheap. Gold prices can be low if fuel prices and cost of production is cheap. Lots of jobs at Knox and Pogo.

Best of Luck.

The high school thing is more divorce driven. He lives with his mother and would cut bait and come with me were it not for his 1/2 brother. He don't want to bail on him. Which I understand and am proud of him for.

My concern for work has to do more with pay vs cost of living.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My concern wasn't the time as much as the money. I see jobs for 14 an hour with rent at 1200 a month. I don't know how someone makes it.

Beats me, average household income in Anchorage is ~$77k/year, state wide ~$70k/year. The state provides a ridiculous amount of services to low income families. Even if your working if you're low income you can get WIC for free food and Denali Kid Care for free medical. I've known a fair number of people that sponge the system and are getting by better than folks earning twice as much but paying their own way.

I can't imagine as a single guy wanting to live in AK if you were making less than $25/hr nor would I suggest a family making it on less than $100k/yr.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kinda what I was thinking. I'm not one to sponge the system either. I do realize that a lack of state income tax increases purchasing power but still....

I'm not against slope type work though current situation says it's unlikely. I also get the feeling that such jobs are kind of very hard to get - probably have to know a guy who knows a guy type of thing. Same as the paper mills are round here.

Still - I have some time to get it figured out. I don't mind workin - hate starvin...

Me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,154 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.