-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It still isn't showing on our southern Oregon shelves.

I buy what I can, when I can, and hope the stuff is good enough to run in a semi.

The junk, I just use to play with in my S&W 63.

One of my favorites is plain ole Blazers - and I haven't seen any of those in years!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've pretty much decided to pay extra for good SS HP ammo ($7.50-$8.00 per box) that is consistently good and available most of the time, and quit trying to catch a good lot of ordinary stuff. MiniMags are pretty consistent, and very reliable, if not super accurate, but remain one of the more elusive brands. I also picked up a few bricks of the CCI Quiet .22 40gr loads which are accurate enough for offhand practice and pretty cheap.

My 77/22 seems to have settled down a bit and is less fussy than when brand new. Could be that the last time I put it back together after dinking with the trigger, I got lucky with the action screw torque, or maybe the barrel is broken in a bit. Whatever the reason, the result is a little more flexibility with ammunition selection.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
O
Living just a few miles from this last tragedy and having a queer Gov. who thinks Odumbo is really god. We in Oregon are in for hell.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

1) I hope to see some 17HM2 show up.

2) Hoarders are kind of screwed price wise -

Ha ha ha ha ha....... Ha ha ha....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
2) Good.

Now that decent ammo can be found at reasonable prices, who's gonna want Thunderduds that have been stored who-knows-where for a year?

I'm glad I never resorted to buying those Remington crap bullets...Oops, I meant duds... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A friend went to a local sporting goods store for a box of .22 ammo - none there. One of the employees said come back in 1/2 hour and I will go home and get a box for you. Sure enough, sold it off the books for $10 instead of $7.99 that the store had it for.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Speaking of thunderduds...

Gander Mountain sells the 100 round packs of remington golden bullets for $10 in their sales flyers.

Thats full on commercial gouging there...

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the prices are about $22 to $24 for a brick of 500 I'll get the Rim fires out of the safe. Other wise they can put them where the sun don't shine.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're out there now, but you won't find them at Whatamart.

When I was about 12, HS HPs were about a buck a box or .02 each. CCI Mini Mags these days are about .08 each. I was 12 in 1964. Tell me what else costs only 4X what it did in 1964.

In 1964 there weren't, to my knowledge, any of the bargain loads that we have now. The first I recall were Blazers that ran about .89 a box in the late 90's. Now they list for about $2.50. I can't complain about that price. Availability could certainly be better, but that problem, according to people who know the industry, is caused by changes in buying habits and amateur profiteers. With only minimal effort, I can find the ammo I want and have it delivered to my door.

Life remains good.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/09/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't bought any 22s in about 5 years, but sure shooting the heck out of cast bullets in my old M94 Marlin 25-20. Not as accurate as what I used to get with my 22s, but neither is most of the new production 22 ammo

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Back when I first figured out that buying bricks of .22 LR saved money, in the mid-1960's, they ran about $6 for the "good" hunting stuff, which in local stores meant Winchester plated, whether hollow-point or round-nose.

The equivalent with inflation today is $45-$50, and there's plenty available on the Internet at that price that's usually better than the stuff I bought for $6 a brick back then. And I'm not talking "gouger" prices for cheap stuff, but ammo from various makers including (horrors!) foreign companies that will out-shoot the cheap American stuff.

But you have to look for it on the Internet, not look on the local shelves. And if you do bother to look on the Internet, instead of driving to various stores, you can sometimes find the cheap stuff for $25 a brick, which considering inflation is about half the price of .22 ammo 50 years ago.

But we got spoiled by many years of American ammo companies essentially giving .22 rimfire away for little or even no profit, considering it advertising for their centerfire stuff, where they made a real profit.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

One of my favorites is plain ole Blazers - and I haven't seen any of those in years!

It does not make any sense crazy my local gun store got a truck load of Blazers.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, I believe you're wasting your breath. Old habits die hard, I guess, and some folks must really like trolling through Whatamart. I'd rather take a nap.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did go on-line and look into buying from one of the internet sellers.

Most didn't have anything other than target grade available.
One site however, was an exception.

They had several brands available, Blazers for instance.
They wanted $9.99 for a box of 50!( FIFTY) Then there's the added cost to ship, of course.... so a brick of 500 would cost over $100....

Our local Bi-Mart store has been getting some ammo in as late.
They had Blazer ammo in 50 count boxes for $2.19 - limit of two boxes a day for $4.38...... or $21.90 out the door if you could buy a 500 round brick.

I don't know how an internet seller can stay in business while screwing their customers like that.

Or how they can look at themselves in the mirror knowing what people really think of them....

BT53

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New Field & Stream opened near Camp Hill, PA last week and they had pallets of assorted 22 on hand. Prices were about what they were prior to the craziness, too.

Fed. Auto Match, $19. Fed. 525 Value Pack, $27. Lots of Remington, some Winchester. Limit two boxes.

Probably all gone now? whistle

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It takes a bit of searching and persistence, but the major web sellers, like Midway and Grafs have regular stuff come in fairly often. I check a few times a week, and if I see any I want, I order it, like the brick of MiniMag HPs I got from Midway a few weeks ago. About $50 to my door, no gas or windshield time involved. Recently, I've also seen CCI Standard, and Aguila Rifle Match at regular prices. No gouging, just shipping. You can ease the shipping by adding other stuff you need at the same time. Most places also have a way to sign up for in-stock notifications.

Most places seem to have the Norma ammo on a pretty regular basis too. Not the cheapest, but not bad and folks seem to like it pretty well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It takes a bit of searching and persistence, but the major web sellers, like Midway and Grafs have regular stuff come in fairly often. I check a few times a week, and if I see any I want, I order it, like the brick of MiniMag HPs I got from Midway a few weeks ago. About $50 to my door, no gas or windshield time involved. Recently, I've also seen CCI Standard, and Aguila Rifle Match at regular prices. No gouging, just shipping. You can ease the shipping by adding other stuff you need at the same time. Most places also have a way to sign up for in-stock notifications.

Most places seem to have the Norma ammo on a pretty regular basis too. Not the cheapest, but not bad and folks seem to like it pretty well.

Thanks Pappy, I'll give them a look!

BT53

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Must be back on the shelves somewhat here in Colorado. I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse on Friday just to look around with my son. They had several different brands in 100, 333, and 500 packs. There wasn't even anyone looking at them. I picked up 3 boxes of Winchester HP to replace those shot at elk camp. Cabelas has been stocked the last several times I have been there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
South east Oregon here. What's this 22 LR you speak of?

1Minute
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
academy
all types of ammo to be had
cci sv 3.99 for 50
cci velocitor 6.29 for 50
cci blazer 2.29 for 50
aguliar 4.99-6-99
rws stuff 8.99
federal stuff from 3.19-19.99
bulk packs from hell

500 rd limit per purchase now........
(was given a ration of chit on here about me ranting to em a bout their stupid 2 box limit)

walmart had 1000 rd bulk packs of win m22 for 50.29 last Friday
had a bunch of thunderbolts for 2.49
even had a back order call for cci small game bullet from midsouthshooters supply
told em to sell it to someone else didn't need it anymore
moved on to the more accurate velocitor and placed an order for those with them

I geuss it just plain ole sucks to be in an area where their is none to be had.........................

and yep I hope the scalpers have their asses handed to em on a stick and have a fire sale in my area when they realize chit aint happening for em
at least in certain parts of the country

Last edited by renegade50; 10/26/15.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.