Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
own a Model 60? Mine is fairly new - 5 yrs old I believe - plain Jane, with a Nikon scope. It's a partner for a Henry pump. Actually, I bought the Henry for my grandson, but I keep it for him. smile He lives a few minutes away.

[Linked Image]

This rifle likes Dynapoints. We have boxes of it on the shelves here in central Ontario, so I bought a few yesterday.

I also bought a couple of boxes of 50 count Aguila Super Extra, std velocity fodder. I've never seen it here. I'm going to try it in my 452. These cost me $6.49 ea in Cdn dinars. That would be about $4.60 US, 'Spensive for imported 22 ammunition. That must include the cost of tossing boxes of it over the fence in Arizona. Anyone tried this stuff?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've used it and the copper coated hi-velocity. they work good. i get mine at academy sports. we just had a new gander mtn open, and i didn't see any on their shelves.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Aguila makes good stuff, but even by today's standard, it's availability is pretty spotty. Rifle Match has the same p.o.i and accuracy in my rifle as RWS SSHPs, so I use it for practice when I can find it.

Smells funny, though, ala Eley.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope on the M60 .... thought about, but with two "stock-ish" 10-22's, I don't have a need for one.

to add if I found one a good price and had the cash in hand and didn't need a 4473 done, I could see buying one.

Last edited by avagadro; 10/02/15.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had one back in the mid 60s. Worked well enough, no idea what I shot in it back then?

Have one NIB, never fired. 125th NRA Anniversary critter from an FNRA banquet back then. SS/gray laminated handle. Odd thing, buddy has one like it (no NRA medallion in the stock), but there's a two inch difference in barrel length.

Forget now, think his bbl is two inches shorter than the bbl on mine? They're nice enough rifles, I just prefer the 1022.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had one back in the late 70's till the late 80's. I shot many thousands of rounds through it with no problems. It killed many ground hogs,bunnies,birds,squirrel,frogs,turtles,cans,flowers,weeds and even a bat and a few snakes and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Ended up trading it for something or another.

I have another one now that is a pawn shop rescue/project gun. It won't fire a shot without jamming, but I guessed that before I bought it. One of these days I'll actually tear it apart and clean it, that will likely cure the jamming unless something is worn. It is filthy inside.

I mounted a scope and sighted in one for a friend last year. I don't remember what kind of ammo he had for it ( I'm sure it was just bulk) but it was shooting around 3/4" groups at 50 yards.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My step grandsons all have one.. They are very accurate, and function fine..

As for the ammo, I shot some of the hi speed stuff years ago.. But nothing in std. vel.

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad had one for over 50 years that I learned on back in the 60's.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope here too...only semi-auto .22 Ive ever owned is a Nylon 66.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My model 60 from about 1963 is marked "Revelation"
"Western Auto Supply". Bad to the bone.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a couple of the stainless/laminated Marlin 60ss that are kept as barn/ranch/tractor/combine guns. They are good shooters, particularly after the triggers are smoothed out a bit, and probably just as good as any Ruger 10/22 in stock form.

I've not formed any attachment to any variety of Aguila .22 ammo.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use the Henry more, but I'll play with this one for awhile. It's really good for bunnies on the move. Easier, in my view, to take a second shot without having to work the action.

On an unrelated note, I saw lots of turkeys near my fence on Friday. Thanksgiving is coming.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got one from 1971, got it for my 13th birthday. It outshoots my 10/22 very badly. I wish it was more reliable, but I've killed an awful lot of critters with it.

It thrives best on CCI MiniMags, and won't feed anything with a flattish nose, but it's a pretty good shooter. The trigger has been used enough to beat out the 10/22 with a Power Custom sear...

No, it won't shoot with my CZ 455 or 452, but it's a good old gun. Mine's old enough to have the 18 shot magazine.
Since it was the first gun that was "mine", I reckon I'll keep it till I die.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Father in law has one. Uses it on his acreage to control ground hogs, coons, chipmunks and any other vermin that bothers his property. Last year I mounted a scope , cleaned it up a little and re-sighted it in for him with CCI mini mag hollowpoints. I was very pleased(a bit surprised?) with the groups I got at 35 yards.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've probably owned 20 of them over the years. They're just trade bait for me. Never found one yet that had any function issues. The couple that I've bought with scopes on them shot good enough to use for squirrels. They're easy to sell if you can buy them right. I think those and single shot shotguns are probably the easiest to sell lower end guns. Always tried to have at least one of each, and a 30-30 on the table at all times.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
A close friend of mine is a confirmed 10/22 nut. Nothing wrong with that, but he's like a missionary, always trying to convince me that his little Ruger is better.

I think being able to modify the crap out of them is great, but it's never been my thing. I like the tube mag better and I have no issues with the stock trigger. It does very well feeding us at moose camps. smile (birds and bunnies)

The reason I asked the question is, these days, you don't see much written about Model 60s. I was curious how many people owned them.

I was also curious about Aquila. We don't see it much here.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had several over the years. The one I have now is an older 60SB. I have the same mount as you with a 3-9X40. Sighted mine in at 100yds. With Federal bulk pack ammo, it'll chew up a 3" circle shooting off the bench. Rock solid mount.

Kelly
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ah yes, the mount. smile A hugely expensive Leapers Accushot. I think I paid $12 or $13 for it. It's solid though.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Never owned a model 60, but I just picked up a 795 from a friend who won it on a banquet.

I tested it against my plain 102 carbine that I put a Volq... extractor and target hammer in it and the 795 with its terrible trigger out shot the 1022.

And I like the last shot hold open.

May sell the 1022 if I can improve the 795 trigger.

Anyone ever tune the trigger on one?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've owned a few 60's and while never had any problems with them, I preferred the 10/22 and it's rotary magazine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
446 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 38 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.