Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#10510554 10/02/15
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Few words and a couple pics 'cause I know that's what you bastards like anyways. First year guiding, had a good old time for what that's worth and made a few real solid memories.

First ram of the year, second go around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Same guy with a bear we sluiced on some berries.

[Linked Image]

Caribou, 620yds Montucky 300 WSM 155 Skinner
[Linked Image]

Late season ram, damn fun hunt

[Linked Image]

Tanner

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done! I should have made less structured decisions when I was your age. Jealous as all get out.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Finished it off with a grizzly up high in sheepy stuff

[Linked Image]

that's about it. Now I'm trying to change my flight home to go find something else to kill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome pics Tanner!! Looks like a heck of a lot of fun couple months there!! Thanks for sharing!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Awesome and congratulations!

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great job (and pics)! Been looking forward to hearing how it went. Holler at me when get settled, would love to hear more.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome job tanner!!! Congrats on a lifetime of memories!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's livin' right there! Good work, it doesn't get much better than that.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good stuff Tanner!

Originally Posted by pointer
I should have made less structured decisions when I was your age. Jealous as all get out.

You and me both. I don't know about "less structured," just wish I knew then what I know now.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sweet pics, was looking forward to seeing posts about your trip.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures, great looking country...what a good time in your life for such adventures, Ak sure does get in a guys blood.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice bro!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well done!

Great pics.

Thanks!

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got asked if I might do a quick gear run down and figured it's probably a good thing to do as I'm still learning myself on what works and what don't. Forgive me if I hop around a bit, few coffees into a flight layover already....grin

Pack: Kifaru AMR, Duplex Frame, Gunbearer, 1 Md, 1 Sm belt pouch, Guide Lid, Grab it. I was nervous I may not have enough room in this setup after using the Barney's last year, but it proved to be plenty of space (it's close to 10k cu the way I've got it setup). Badass pack from the bottom to top. No tears, no issues to speak of other than a small chest strap malfunction due to me pulling on it too hard under a heavy load. I can't think of a pack I'd use over this one.

Spotter: Nikon Fieldscope ED 20-60x60. Real good piece of glass for it's size/weight and price. Compared S/S with a non-HD Swaro 65 the glass was very similar with the larger FOV in the Swaro providing maybe a bit easier time on high power. I'll stick with my Nikon for a few more years I think.

Rifle: I carried a Kimber Montana 300 WSM all year, with a 3-9x40 Leupold/M1 elevation. I like to know I could kill something that wanted to check me out too close and I can't shoot a pistol worth a hoot. It's also nice in case a client's rig isn't getting the job done.

Binocs: I used Meopta Meostar 8x32 this year which is just the Euro HD as I understand. Very impressive binocs, I'll be sticking with this.

Clothes: Kinda' a hodge podge of stuff that I wear, but most of the year I wore First Lite Corrugate Guide pants, a Cabelas Polartech hoodie, and a Marmot fleece over that. No complaints really, pants could use beefier stitching in the crotch.
-First Lite Uncompahgre has been a really nice jacket to have the last 2 seasons; I pretty much put it on any time I glass for extended periods of time and sleep in it fairly often also.
-Westcombe Spectre LT shell. Great jacket
-Kuiu Chugach rain pants-Meh. Hate the pattern. Fair to middling rain protection.
-Darn Tough socks-the shizzznizzle.

Scarpa Triolet and Lowa Civettas split time with probably 50 out of 60 days being spent in the Triolet. They are a really, really good boot and I'll continue buying them as long as they make 'em. The Goretex in my pair actually worked the whole year which surprised the hell out of me as I usually have no problem [bleep]' Goretex.

OR Croc Gaiters- I can count on needing to replace gaiters at the end of every season I think. Oh well.

Tents:
Hilleberg Nallo 3. Decent setup, very tight with 3 guys (especially with Starsky's feet ripping holes in the end your tent). For 2 guys it's perfect. Slight condensation issues but that may just be a part of life up there.

Hilleberg Tarp UL-10. Invaluable in a million situations. I love having that thing around.

I'm still running a Mountain Hardwear UltraLamina 15 and like it plenty. I'm a cold sleeper with a real low resting heart rate and it's been plenty warm for me. I run a NeoAir pad under it though mine sprung a slow leak sometime around midseason.

Havalon knives for most of the year though I think I've outgrown that. Damn near too sharp for a lot of stuff and will be switching to quality knives for all game care.

I think that's about all I can come up with. Not an expert by any means, just my experiences.

Tanner

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Awesome

Tater
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Tanner,
When you go to sleep, imagine this ram that was taken from where you
guide five years ago. The hunter, who is my cousin, has taken four rams above 174 BC and has never entered a single one.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good lord......

Nice pics Tanner, be sure to make it a habit to come up here! I was out on a deer hunt myself today but a wolf popped out. Target of opportunity :-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need one of those First Lites puffy jackets. And glad to see the smaller binos worked. Easy place to cut a pound out and still get good performance. Great pics by the way too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Tanner,
When you go to sleep, imagine this ram that was taken from where you
guide five years ago. The hunter, who is my cousin, has taken four rams above 174 BC and has never entered a single one.
[Linked Image]

Wow. Any idea how old that one was?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
hide looks 30 years old. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.