Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am not new to reloading, but certainly not a guru. Sometimes when sizing brass like the 300wsm brass I was sizing this morning, will fit tight in my chamber, (ie) tight bolt close.
This brass is all same manufacture, all ran through same RCBS FL die, all trimmed to same length, and some the bolt will nearly fall on its own. Some will be somewhat hard bolt close and some will be hard bolt close.
This is Winchester brass, some once fired by my rifle and some once fired in a buddy's rifle. I wouldn't think if it was fired in another rifle would make any difference when FL resizing.
Any ideas ????

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It also depends on how many times a piece of brass has been fired and especially in another rifle chamber.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Are you testing sized brass in your chamber with a bullet seated? (suggest a dummy round for this) Sometimes depending on your bullet seater the bullet will 'suck' out of the case some when the ram is lowered.
Also, some chambers are a bit bigger and the full length sizer does not size down to the web. Suggest measuring key areas of the size case against ones that fit.
You may need a small base sizer for your buddies brass.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, it does make a difference if brass is fired in different rifles, since unless you use a very "tight" die full-length sizing does not return fired brass to factory dimensions.

Most "affordable" dies and factory rifle chambers vary slightly in size, due to wear on the reamers used. Typically, factories start with a reamer of maximum SAAMI dimensions, and use it until it wears to minimum SAAMI dimensions. Thus slightly different sizes FL dies and rifle chambers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes these were loaded rounds. half were loaded with sierra pro hunters and the other half nosler partitions. All loaded to factory OAL. No rifling marks on bullets.
Will shooting these in my rifle and FL resizing again make any difference ?

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Keep your lots of brass and rifles they're used in separate. Don't use brass from one rifle in another, at all, the exception being new, once-fired brass (alias range or pick up brass) you resize to fit one rifle.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I load for two 30-06 hunting rifles, I treat them as separate calibers, performance is the same but 'personalitie's are much different.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Sounds like the chamber on your buddies rifle is looser then yours. You many need to screw your sizing down a bit more and cam it over extra hard when sizing brass fired in his rifle to make it chamber reasonably in yours.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If they fit and you shoot them in your rifle they will be the same as the ones you shot in your rifle.

I have had to adjust the dies a little more to get them to fit in the chamber of the rifle they were fired in.

That brass is tough stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stikshooter
I am not new to reloading, but certainly not a guru. Sometimes when sizing brass like the 300wsm brass I was sizing this morning, will fit tight in my chamber, (ie) tight bolt close.
This brass is all same manufacture, all ran through same RCBS FL die, all trimmed to same length, and some the bolt will nearly fall on its own. Some will be somewhat hard bolt close and some will be hard bolt close.
This is Winchester brass, some once fired by my rifle and some once fired in a buddy's rifle. I wouldn't think if it was fired in another rifle would make any difference when FL resizing.
Any ideas ????

Oh yeah !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sLhIFXt5go

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (35, 10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 14 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.