-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It has 103,000 miles on it, I bought it new. I've read the life of these transmissions is btw 120,000 & 130,000 miles. Since I retired I drive it 5/6 thousand miles a year with some towing of a 17 ft aluminum boat. Once in awhile use 4wd. At my age, 72 and as well as it runs I'm hoping it lasts as long as I do.

I've never had the transmission serviced, still running the original fluid and filter and never had a problem with it. Shifts where it should, no slipping, doesn't use fluid and the fluid is still the original color with no burned odor.

Service it or leave well enough alone? If I service it take it to the dealer or to a transmission shop? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Service it. Private shop, flush and filter. Drive it like a 72 year old, and it will last all you need.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your transmission is probably the 4L80 which is a good one. Definitely service it about every 50k miles, that's not something you want to put off. It's a lot cheaper than replacement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ashamed to admit, but I will....

I had a 2003 z71. Bought new. 225k miles in 9 years. No transmission service. No issues when I traded. Pulled a few trailers, mostly just empty highway miles.

Bro in law had a 99, new tranny at 180k. Same lifestyle as mine.

Contractor buddy has a 99 as well. Typically had a large job box full of tools. Tranny at 300k miles. Truck has 400k miles now. Mostly rusted out. Motor hadn't been touched. 2 new rear ends in that time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll read pro's and con's to a flush, personally I avoid it.

Drop the pan, change the filter and install a drain plug in. You won't get all of the fluid out that way, but there are a few tricks to getting it all out or just drain it in a year or so and fill it back up.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would do a drain and fill. I wouldn't have a shop do a "reverse power flush" or anything similar. Too many horror stories about gunk that isn't doing anything getting knocked loose and causing problems.

Check on the bobistheoilguy.com forum if you want enough info to make your head spin....

Regards,

Tom
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
It has 103,000 miles on it, I bought it new. I've read the life of these transmissions is btw 120,000 & 130,000 miles. Since I retired I drive it 5/6 thousand miles a year with some towing of a 17 ft aluminum boat. Once in awhile use 4wd. At my age, 72 and as well as it runs I'm hoping it lasts as long as I do.

I've never had the transmission serviced, still running the original fluid and filter and never had a problem with it. Shifts where it should, no slipping, doesn't use fluid and the fluid is still the original color with no burned odor.

Service it or leave well enough alone? If I service it take it to the dealer or to a transmission shop? Thanks.

Have the transmission flushed and then drop the pan and replace the filter and gasket.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just flushed my 03 Silverado transmission in my driveway. Materials and fluid was $61.

Just because the fluid looked good on the stick doesn't mean it is. May not smell burnt but by then it's a little late in most instances.

If you can change your own oil you can flush your own transmission. It is that easy.

Hayden 397 nipple for your Trans return line in the radiator and ten feet of clear 3/8 id hose and 5 gallon bucket. 4 gallons of Dexron 3. Attach hose to nipple and insert into radiator after taking off your return line (upper one on right for your 02). Hose to your bucket. Run hose on top of fan shroud. Start truck and when bubbles come through line shut off. Drop pan replace filter and gasket. Fill with 1 gallon of fluid and restart. Shut off when bubbles form in hose. Fill again and repeat until fluid is new in appearance.

Pull nipple and reinstall return line. Check level of fluid is at cold mark. Start and drive until fluid is warm and check level.

Took exactly 4 gallons for me to do mine.

Have done this over the years to other vehicles also.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260madman
I just flushed my 03 Silverado transmission in my driveway. Materials and fluid was $61.

Just because the fluid looked good on the stick doesn't mean it is. May not smell burnt but by then it's a little late in most instances.

If you can change your own oil you can flush your own transmission. It is that easy.

Hayden 397 nipple for your Trans return line in the radiator and ten feet of clear 3/8 id hose and 5 gallon bucket. 4 gallons of Dexron 3. Attach hose to nipple and insert into radiator after taking off your return line (upper one on right for your 02). Hose to your bucket. Run hose on top of fan shroud. Start truck and when bubbles come through line shut off. Drop pan replace filter and gasket. Fill with 1 gallon of fluid and restart. Shut off when bubbles form in hose. Fill again and repeat until fluid is new in appearance.

Pull nipple and reinstall return line. Check level of fluid is at cold mark. Start and drive until fluid is warm and check level.

Way overkill and waste, but if it makes you feel good. cool

Sean
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to everyone for the info. Getting it serviced. When I figure the service could give the transmission a few extra years the cost is worth it.

I took it to an established transmission shop recommended by someone that's used it and knows the owner. The owner, an older guy, said if it was his after this many miles and years he wouldn't flush it but would replace the filter & drain and replace what fluid he could. I asked if that was because flushing might damage it and he said probably not but why take a chance.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by 260madman

Way overkill and waste, but if it makes you feel good. cool

No more overkill and waste than your first post of this thread. Same thing that I spelled out if anyone wanted to do it themselves. I prefer to do as much work on my vehicles on my own as possible.

Transmissions are a finicky thing. Some guys service on schedule and they go at 70k. Others like my father in law have 180k on one and never been serviced. Still going and I told him to never touch it.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackman
Your transmission is probably the 4L80 which is a good one. Definitely service it about every 50k miles, that's not something you want to put off. It's a lot cheaper than replacement.

4l60E...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Thanks to everyone for the info. Getting it serviced. When I figure the service could give the transmission a few extra years the cost is worth it.

I took it to an established transmission shop recommended by someone that's used it and knows the owner. The owner, an older guy, said if it was his after this many miles and years he wouldn't flush it but would replace the filter & drain and replace what fluid he could. I asked if that was because flushing might damage it and he said probably not but why take a chance.

Excellent advice. Sounds like a good honest tech.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had mine flushed with 123k on it and a week later it took a crap. I had heard stories about the flushing of transmissions with lots of miles and no service but I didn't listen. That was $1500.00 mistake. Don't do it, drop the pan, change the filter and refill.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you're going to have a shop drop the pan to change the filter, then I'd have him tap a drain plug into it...

cheap insurance if you want a trans to last....

and yeah, probably overkill on my end, but I drop trans fluid every 20K.....use Valvoline Max Life... a jug runs me < $18 at Wally Mart...

so in 100K, I've invested less than $100 in fluid...

that vs any expense of a trans needing work at 100K...

plus if I am going to be towing with the vehicle....I install a trans cooler...put a 12000 pound one on the Pilot...easy install, cost me $40

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,388
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.