Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Few pics of my hike in camp. Built with rope and 3 tarps. Some rock work closed in the back. Was designed to fill the blue 5 gallon water jug with runoff from the roof, which it did in one night of rain. It is a long hike downhill to water. Have used it about 8 nights this bow season and it will be up until the snow flies at which time I will break it down for storage in a 5 gallon bucket hanging in a tree. Views into Yellowstone from the sleeping bag and bugling elk are my alarm clock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Like like a great camp. The scenery is great as well . Good luck on your hunts. Sure makes me want to catch up my mules and head for the mountains.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Sweet camp!

Ed T

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice camp! Great design. Makes this city-boy wonder why I spent so much on a tipi and stove.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice set up! Any issues keeping griz or other critters out when not in use? Good luck on your hunts.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Just the type of camp I have built in my mind many times! I like the 5 gallon bucket idea. There is a alpine lake not far from where I live that very few go to as access is a fair bit of effort. I would like to cut a few poles and leave a pail cached. Thanks for further inspiration.

Fuzzy

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The problem with this is that some leave the materials in the bush which in due course become useless litter and the plastic will not biodegrade for many centuries.

I have found this in some of BCs most remote wilderness and finest hunting grounds, the legendary Shulaps Range west of Lillooet, once the premier Cali. Bighorn area, as well as deep into The Purcell Wilderness Conservancy between the East and West Kootenays and even the very remote headwaters of Chlotapecta Creek, fine Stones and Elk-Moose country in NE BC.

I have packed out SO much of this that I now look askance upon such camps, but, I do "get" the appeal of them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Before leaving the bucket, I suggest painting it with a quality exterior paint. It'll help keep the plastic from disintegrating in the sun and air.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice looking camp. However, like SNAP, I hauled out about 50 lbs of stashed gear from an old outfitter camp yesterday. Of course, there is a lot more where I hauled out (propane heaters, cast Iron cooking gear, 5 gallon buckets etc) .

It was good training for rifle season. Enjoy your season.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Biggs300
Makes this city-boy wonder why I spent so much on a tipi and stove.

I do the same sort of thing. But city boys should not wonder about whether or not they need a teepee because those tarps weigh more than a teepee, take a lot more time to setup and are no where near as portable as a teepee.

I prep a couple of camps by stocking aspen poles, and caching tarps prior to elk hunting season. This strategy allows me to carry a lightweight 3-season dome tent and be able to weather a foot of snow during Colorado's 3rd rifle season.

[Linked Image]

As others have mentioned, it's important that the cache be weatherproof and critter-proof to avoid it becoming a pile of litter.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If this is on private land, have at it. There is no justification for leaving all this crap on public land.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want the camp extra light weight, it's easy to make large silnylon tarps with any sewing machine. They'll long outlast the plastic tarps, too.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biggs300
Nice camp! Great design. Makes this city-boy wonder why I spent so much on a tipi and stove.

So you can carry it on your back, set it up anywhere, pack it in or out in one trip and the whole shebang weighs less than just one of those tarps.
However, as far as a semi-permanent setup that is a pretty comfortable looking setup the OP has, as long as one is content to hunt from one place all season. I doubt those plastic tarps would last more than about two seasons though, they break down pretty quick.

But stink on me, I don't even have a backpack hunt planned this year. Rock Chuck and his llamas will be without me. Things didn't work so well this year for a cross country pack trip for me. I'll probably be sleeping in a bed and hunting out of a tree...sigh...

BTW, the silnylon tarp idea RC posted ^above^ is good advice. You could build your framework and then packe the tarps in and out on each trip to preserve them from damage and the bulk and weight of several sil-nylon tarps would be less than one of those plastic jobs.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of needing shelter - Snubbie, did the rain from the 'cane get west far enough to get you?

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Speaking of needing shelter - Snubbie, did the rain from the 'cane get west far enough to get you?

Right here at the house we got about 5" in the gauge since Friday. Way plenty and more than we need but not the "100 year event" the prognosticators were predicting. Friday the hurricane turned out into the Atlantic so we didn't get near what was expected had it come ashore somewhere along the SE coast. Still plenty wet.

The goats aren't happy boys.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Missing it BAD this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Apologies to OP for the thread hijack.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll send you a pick of my Adams Gulch big buck next week after I get him.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'll send you a pick of my Adams Gulch big buck next week after I get him.

I'm counting on it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Went in yesterday and packed it all up into the bucket. May put it in the same spot next year or may move it to another locale at a little lower elevation. Depends on the weather next fall.
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's just friggin' fun and awesome.

I live for chit like this! smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Funny, it really pizzes me off to see various litter in the backcountry, but a gear cache never does.

It's not uncommon to cache water in the AZ backcountry, but it does suck to hump 5 gallons of water into your secret place and find 2 other water caches ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's bad ass. Looks fun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SNAP
The problem with this is that some leave the materials in the bush which in due course become useless litter and the plastic will not biodegrade for many centuries.

I have found this in some of BCs most remote wilderness and finest hunting grounds, the legendary Shulaps Range west of Lillooet, once the premier Cali. Bighorn area, as well as deep into The Purcell Wilderness Conservancy between the East and West Kootenays and even the very remote headwaters of Chlotapecta Creek, fine Stones and Elk-Moose country in NE BC.

I have packed out SO much of this that I now look askance upon such camps, but, I do "get" the appeal of them.

Boo-fugkin'-hoo.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's what I was thinking. Some poach with bolt action rifles too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well, leaving stuff like this is actually illegal here in BC and in Alberta; we would fly heli-patrols to check if the outfitters had left tent frames and tarps, etc.

The concern is that we still have remote wilderness here and wish to protect it for our future citizens to enjoy as we have, so, we have certain regulations to that effect.

YMMV, different cultures, different nations and different ways of doing things.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's funny. Do you have regulations on packing out toilet paper too? What with your wilderness and cultural differences and all.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Plastic and wood framing will biodegrade mighty fast in a wildfire. And it won't take centuries for that to occur.

I'm all about leaving things as I found them, but lets be real.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
That's funny. Do you have regulations on packing out toilet paper too? What with your wilderness and cultural differences and all.

That's why you burn it. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by smokepole

Only in Deweys twisted little mind!

Take everything this clown writes with a pinch of salt!

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.