E
Originally Posted by SLM
This stuff gets comical.
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=antelope_sniper]150gr Nosler partition, and 57-58gr of H4831. [/quote

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I can't speak for anyone else but I don't worry about just how accurate a bullet is for particular hunting rifle. You can have a rifle that shoots a premium bullet into .50" all day long from the bench. Guess what? There ain't any benches out in the boonies. nYou'd probably do just as good with a rifle that shoots 1.50" consistently off the bench to at least 300 yards and more. As far as practice goes, find a bullet that shoots as close as possible to your premium hunting bullet and practice with that. AS the .270 is the cartridge in question I'll use that. One of my pet deer and antelope loads shoots the 150 gr. Sierra Game King from a 24" Winchester M70 XTR into .50 to .75" groups. I use it for deer and antelope. I can use the exact same charge of powder, brass and primer and shoot the 150 gr. Nobler Partition into literally the same group. Doing a mix and match, the Sierra vs the Nosler the composite groups was one inch. I did the practice with the Sierras and did the hunt with the Nosler.
Want another? I shoot the 180 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter spitzer for practice and the 180 gr. Nobler Partition as my hunting load. Shooting three rounds each at the same target gave a group about one inch or a hair larger. (1.10") I do a short practice session with the premium bullet just before the hunt just to be sure everything is working as it should and one test group in the area of the hunt just in case colder temps might make a change.
Paul B.

Sounds to me like you do the same thing I (and I think a lot of others) do – It is pretty common for me to substitute loads with inexpensive cup-and-core bullets for my hunting loads when practicing at the range. So long as they shoot close to the same point of aim it isn’t a problem but I always take a few shots with the hunting loads just before going afield, mostly to verify scope adjustment with the hunting loads.

While there aren’t any benches out in the field, there are improvised shooting rests that can provide very stable shooting platforms. Over the years I have used my pack from a prone position, bipods attached to the rifle, stumps, rocks, hay bales, tree limbs, tree trunks, fence posts and pretty much anything I could find that would improve stability for the shot. You make a good point, though – most of the time the difference between a .5” and 1.5” load won’t make any difference in the field. At 300 yards the 1.5” load will have an error radius of 2-1/4”compared to .75” for the .5” load. While that can make a difference in the prairie dog villages a 1.5” difference is not very significant when shooting antelope or larger.

Still, given two loads with my preferred bullets, I’ll take the one that shoots to .5” rather than the one that shoots to 1.5”, for the same reason I prefer certain bullets – they don’t perform any worse in the field and while there is no guarantee they WILL make a difference the possibility exists that they MIGHT make a difference. The same reasoning goes into choosing a lot of the gear I take hunting, like chains for all four tires instead of just two, two rubber chain tensioners for each tire plus spares, a chain repair kit, a second rifle, a basic tool kit, a couple of tow chains, a come-along, jumper cables, extra batteries, an extra pair of boots and other stuff. While most of it is not needed in any particular year, all of it has been needed at one time or another and some multiple times. Last night I bought 4 new A/T tires with aggressive tread for this year’s elk hunts. While I could probably have made it through hunting season and the winter snow and ice with the ones I had, they were getting worn and deeper tread MIGHT keep me from getting stuck or going off the road. It is kind of like buying fire insurance for your home – while you hope you never need it, it can make a big difference in your situation if your house burns.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by action
My wife is hunting cow elk with a 270 win. should I load a 150gr nosler partion or 140gr hornady btsp?.

150 Partition is what I'd use.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Having been a Nosler(premium bullet) internet whore since having internet I have done an about face into reality.While the bullet is important,and it is I can only think years back when countless hunters and friends could not wait for the K-Mart hunting season specials where you could buy a box of ammo for $7-10 bucks and be on your way.

We found some worked better than others and Cor-Lokts was then and still today very effective as were the old bronze points and silver tips.Because of reloading laziness,I have been using 180 Core-lokts in my '06.I have not been disappointed.

Never been a fan of the Hornady bullets probably because i haven't used them much or seen them personally used as Hornady ammo wasn't a popular on the shelf choice in my region.Winchester and Remington were the bargains that worked.

After having shot my first big game with a 420 grain cast a while back, that you were supposed to be able to eat right up to the hole concept,my opinion has changed.That cast at a modest velocity out of my 45-70 did more meat damage than most bullets I have ever used.It hit a good bone and the inside looked like a grenade went off.

I have so many Noslers on hand to reload for a bunch of calibers and if I had it to do over, I would probably just buy over the shelf Core-lokts and forget it and save a bunch of money and time.They have always done there job in my case since I first started using them to many years ago..

Contrary to just about every thing I have ever posted on the internet previously about bullets,realistically the most game I have seen killed and killed msyself, has been with non-premium bullets.

Bullet failure when an animal is dead is non-existent,the bullet kilt the game so it did it's job!

JMO

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by logcutter
Having been a Nosler(premium bullet) internet whore since having internet I have done an about face into reality.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by logcutter
Having been a Nosler(premium bullet) internet whore since having internet I have done an about face into reality.While the bullet is important,and it is I can only think years back when countless hunters and friends could not wait for the K-Mart hunting season specials where you could buy a box of ammo for $7-10 bucks and be on your way.

We found some worked better than others and Cor-Lokts was then and still today very effective as were the old bronze points and silver tips.Because of reloading laziness,I have been using 180 Core-lokts in my '06.I have not been disappointed.

Never been a fan of the Hornady bullets probably because i haven't used them much or seen them personally used as Hornady ammo wasn't a popular on the shelf choice in my region.Winchester and Remington were the bargains that worked.

After having shot my first big game with a 420 grain cast a while back, that you were supposed to be able to eat right up to the hole concept,my opinion has changed.That cast at a modest velocity out of my 45-70 did more meat damage than most bullets I have ever used.It hit a good bone and the inside looked like a grenade went off.

I have so many Noslers on hand to reload for a bunch of calibers and if I had it to do over, I would probably just buy over the shelf Core-lokts and forget it and save a bunch of money and time.They have always done there job in my case since I first started using them to many years ago..

Contrary to just about every thing I have ever posted on the internet previously about bullets,realistically the most game I have seen killed and killed msyself, has been with non-premium bullets.

Bullet failure when an animal is dead is non-existent,the bullet kilt the game so it did it's job!

JMO

Did somebody get into your box again?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did somebody get into your box again?

Were not taking questions at this time..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by SLM
This stuff gets comical.
Yup.

All control of this thread has been lost. TFF

IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by SLM
This stuff gets comical.
Yup.

All control of this thread has been lost. TFF

They always expand uncontrollably.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not exactly. Bullet failure when the animal is dead is luck. Far more often the animal be wounded. You might get a 2d shot but many escape to die somewhere else.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Bullet failure when the animal is dead is luck. Far more often the animal be wounded. You might get a 2d shot but many escape to die somewhere else.

Huh? What does a wounded animal that escapes have to do with an animal that's dead? Plus, if the animal gets away, how do you know whether the bullet performed or didn't perform?

I think his point was, lots of guys talk a bout "bullet failure" with a one-shot kill. They use different criteria for "failure," like low retained weight, jacket separation, or even no exit wound. Which gets to the question, what is the bullet designed to do? Kill the animal, or look pretty?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Which gets to the question, what is the bullet designed to do? Kill the animal, or look pretty?

Exactly!

Having used the .270 Win for the majority of my hunting days,I can say with certainty in my personal experiences that premium bullets can and do fail in smaller calibers due to there controlled expansion or not expanding at all such as some have seen with the Barnes and I have with the Fail Safe in the .270.

An old cheapy like a Core-Lokt would have worked much better than the so called super premium..One reason after using different premium bullets I chose the Nosler as a premium is the so called two bullet effect where it sometimes looses the front section in the animal, giving a better and more harmonious outcome!Probably the best elk kill'n bullet I have seen in my way to many years waking up, is the old Sierra bullet.Far from a premium in todays terms but what a job it did out of the .270 Win if you put it where it belonged.

Not knocking premium bullets, just saying that alot of the time the old cup and core bullets do a better job at kill'n.

Take the Berger..Please laugh .....Premium or not?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Log smoker I see you are giving advice again.

Why don't you stick to thing you know and give us a blue tarp tutorial.

In the meantime, try to stay out of jail.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Log smoker I see you are giving advice again.

Why don't you stick to thing you know and give us a blue tarp tutorial.

In the meantime, try to stay out of jail.

Belly rot I see your on topic again.

Why don't you stick to posting those awesome outdoor photos of your personal experiences.

In the meantime, try to get an apartment out of your mom's basement.

How childish is this chit..... Grow up....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Not exactly. Bullet failure when the animal is dead is luck. Far more often the animal be wounded. You might get a 2d shot but many escape to die somewhere else.

yep

here is a failed bullet from a dead animal.

the elk was wounded by a hunter with the Core-Loss, then killed by his guide (me) with the Partition.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Never fell for the old saw that "the animal was dead, therefore the bullet didn't fail".

Better to think in terms of it performing as well as it needed to.....that time.

But that doesn't mean it was great performance, either.Never saw the point in seeking the lowest levels in terminal performance and calling it "good".

13" of penetration in a soft tissue is nothing to write home about. But it does work on small stuff and rib shots.There's better ways to fly when it comes to shooting animals.

Toad's photo speaks volumes, and it has nothing to do with "pretty" and photo ops. It's all mechanics.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To my way of thinking, many a bullet has failed and the animal graciously died anyway.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Never fell for the old saw that "the animal was dead, therefore the bullet didn't fail".

Toad's photo speaks volumes, and it has nothing to do with "pretty" and photo ops. It's all mechanics.

I never fell for the old saw that you need "premium" bullets to kill stuff. Every bullet fails at one time or another, and a photo of a sample of one isn't something to necessarily hang your hat on.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,238
Posts18,466,745
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.