Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks John,

Good to know about the +/- 90fps SAAMI variance. 180 fps total swing, that could explain some sighting in stuff I've seen over the years. Now that I've got a chrono I should start using it more often. Always a bit of a pain on public ranges though.

Sam,

Thanks for bringing this up,

Good luck to all on their hunts and "woods loafing" this fall.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Has anybody compared brass weight to volume? Is there pretty much a straight line correlation with brass fired in the same chamber?

If the external dimensions are the same between two brands of case, then the heavier brass will have less internal volume. This is more critical with smaller cases than larger ones.

Because fired brass generally has more internal volume due to expansion, it is important to work up loads, record weights and internal volumes for each brand or lot of brass.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Sam.

At one point Remington was making brass for Nosler. I understand that is no longer the case. As Mathman mentioned Remington brass tends to run heavy. It sounds to me like you may have picked up a box of new/old stock Remington made of Nosler brass.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Has anybody compared brass weight to volume? Is there pretty much a straight line correlation with brass fired in the same chamber?

If the external dimensions are the same between two brands of case, then the heavier brass will have less internal volume. This is more critical with smaller cases than larger ones.

That much is understood. The question is, does a 5% variance in weight translate to a 5% variance in volume.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

That much is understood. The question is, does a 5% variance in weight translate to a 5% variance in volume.

It is not a direct linear relationship. I imagine the internal variance would be about half that. The best way for Sam to find out is measure the internal H2O volume.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was going say couldn't a guy just measure with water?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The question is, does a 5% variance in weight translate to a 5% variance in volume.

Nope. It does reduce case capacity but you can't calculate "new" case capacity that easily. You would have to convert the weight of brass to volume using its density, the deduct that volume from the "original" case capacity to determine the difference.

It's much easier just to measure the difference in case capacity by measuring case capacity of each by weighing the empty fired case then filling with water and weighing - in this case, a 5% change in weight of the water is a 5% change in case volume.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I dunno. According to some over on the Nosler forum, it's Norma that making Nosler brass. Never used the stuff so the other day I bought 100 pieces to try out. I must say it good looking brass. Primer pockets are nice and square, not like the concave pockets of most commercial brass. You can look down inside and see the flash holes are properly reamed to eliminate the burrs. Now if my .280 Rem. rifle likes the stuff???????
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TXRam

It's much easier just to measure the difference in case capacity by measuring case capacity of each by weighing the empty fired case then filling with water and weighing - in this case, a 5% change in weight of the water is a 5% change in case volume.

Also understood, but that wasn't my question.

The real question is how the volume difference relates to pressure with the same powder charge. Probably easiest to just load some up and shoot 'em over the chronograph.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

The real question is how the volume difference relates to pressure with the same powder charge. Probably easiest to just load some up and shoot 'em over the chronograph.

i can tell you that with a max load if you switch from Winchester to Remington brass in a .270 Winchester you will need to drop back a grain of powder of you will be loosing primers

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks. Actually loading some RP 308 brass with a load worked up in lapua so it should be fine.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sam -

I know you said you threw them in the trash.

Are they gone OR could you retrieve them?? and compare water capacities.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
An addendum:

I could 'assume' those brass are GONE since you threw them in the trash.... but not necessarily so.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

It has to be measured. There is no direct corellation or ratio. IOW, 5% more water volume does not mean you can put 5% more powder in.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's been my experience as well. Have experimented some with different brass in the same rifle, and the amount of powder required to match velocity with two kinds of brass isn't always predictable, everything else being equal. About all that can be said is heavier brass normally requires less powder.

A lot of this probably involves the 4-to-1 Rule, where in any change in powder capacity in the same bore results in 1/4 that much change in velocity AT THE SAME PRESSURE.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Sam -

I know you said you threw them in the trash.

Are they gone OR could you retrieve them?? and compare water capacities.

J, retrieved and weighed.

Nosler 185 grains empty 258 w/water

Nosler 207 empty 276 w/water

Fed(old) 205 empty

Hornady 205 empty

W/W 193 empty

The lighter 'Nosler' brass holds 4 more grains of water.

I would have guessed more.

Wish I had Chrony data on the hot loads.

Nothing crazy I'm sure but maybe +100fps?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 10/03/15. Reason: mixed up again
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Also, its a good idea to check the interior volume of brass to get a base line. Any additional brass from different manufacturers or lots of the same manufacturer can vary. The volume does vary and its prudent to know what those changes are.
The Quickload program is useful in determining predicted pressure as related to case volume and powder charge.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

It has to be measured.

No, it doesn't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thnx Sam

At &1.00 each, I'd have to swallow hard to discard.

I'd probably MARK that lot and load specifically for them. Yep, it sucks but maybe worth the time.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jerry, worse part is I got nervous for a day and started thinking I had a gun or scope issue. Deer season in a few weeks and all of a sudden what the hell is wrong with this gun or scope?

Until I finally wised up and noticed the primers.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,284 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.