Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I was reminded today why complacency can kill

While hanging stand today we had set three ladder stand and we're one the last, which was a hang on that I intended to set about 28 feet off the ground in a large oak tree.

While standing on the ladder sticks working on putting the final touches on the stand my foot slipped off the step and grabbed the nearest thing I could grab which was the halfway secured loc on stand which immediately twisted and cause me to further lose balance and sent me off the ladder.

Thankfully I was wearing and harness with a linemans strap which only let me fall a couple of steps before "catching"

I gathered wits, climbed down and checked myself out, some scratches and a pretty nasty road (tree) rash but otherwise no worse for the wear

Thing is, normally I don't waste time with with a harness and such when hanging stands...That won't happen again

Safety first guys

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Two weeks my brother was in the woods behind his house when he decided to check one of his hang on stands. As he was getting out of the stand he grabbed a high branch as he was stepping down onto his tree step. The branch broke and he fell straight onto his butt. He broke his pelvis in two places but was able to walk/crawl back to his house.

He realizes how lucky he was. The thing is he is real anal about tree stand safety during hunting season. Yes accidents can happen at any time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the reminder and glad you're okay. I was just showing a friend how to put his new harness on yesterday.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
28 feet high...are you hunting ducks or geese?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you're ok. I don't understand not wearing a safety harness. Or for that matter a seat belt in the truck.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have been climbing trees while hunting for years. Never a stand, just find a fork and have a seat, might be six feet off the ground, might wind up twenty. I never used any sort of harness.

For some reason, this year I suddenly became deathly afraid of being in a tree without a harness. Not a clue why, just is.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Jeff, yep 28 feet. It's in a small oak grove with a spring fed pond that they are watering at. Bordered by wild apples. I wanted to be high and out of the sight line of anything coming down the knowledge into the grove from the west

Pat, thanks. Today I bought one of the HSS lifelines as well

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok
Originally Posted by MOGC
Glad you're ok. I don't understand not wearing a safety harness. Or for that matter a seat belt in the truck.

Neither do i, I always wear a harness while hunting but almost never when hanging stands, no real reason, I just haven't wvwr worn them. That will permanently change as of yesterday

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Liliysdad, sometimes we just get smarter. We realize that we have been risking our lives and that our loved ones still want us around. My old harnesses are getting trashed and I am going to buy full body harnesses for my wife and myself.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I have been climbing trees while hunting for years. Never a stand, just find a fork and have a seat, might be six feet off the ground, might wind up twenty. I never used any sort of harness.

For some reason, this year I suddenly became deathly afraid of being in a tree without a harness. Not a clue why, just is.

I had e thing happen about six years ago. Had been bowhunting 30 years with no safety harness. Decided I ought to try wearing one.
Putting up my stand in light rain.
Foot slipped off a slippery tree step at 20 feet up
Linemans belt and harness caught me.
I was sore and bruised a bit but am sure it saved broken bones, maybe paralysis or death
I am 100% now as is my 35 year old son

NRA Patron
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I've always worn a harness but recently have been more conscious of possibly falling.

I cured the foot slip issue years ago by going to rapid rails which enclose the step. Yes, they can be a little noisy but I've always felt secure especially with muddy boots.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Glad you are okay. Just because you have a harness on doesn't guarantee you will come out unscathed.

I fell putting up a 21' ladder stand without a harness. I was very lucky to only get stitches and a bill for a CAT scan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,787
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.