Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Back in the Day I shot the Buffalo Bullet 385gr HBHP and had excellent results on deer. When they became short on supply, I either used the 385gr HBHP Great Plains, but the crystal bullet lube Hornady uses seems to dry really fast. I went over to the 370GR Maxi Ball.

I see that Maxi Hunters are more for Expansion whereas Maxi Ball's are more for penetration.

Does anyone think there is really much difference between the Maxi Ball or Maxi Hunters?

Also have read that Maxi Ball's are far more accurate than Maxi Hunters...has anyone had any real world experience with this being true/false? Do you think the Hornady Great Plains shoots better than either of the T/C offerings?

BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have great results both in accuracy and performance with Hornady Great Plains bullets...even when the lube drys they still work just as well

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO, the 370 maxi ball is more accurate. I use TC lube or even Crisco in cold weather. Try 80 grains of Swiss behind the 370.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have owned a fair number of rifles, mostly 50 and 54 cal and one thing I have learned is that each gun likes its own bullet and powder combination. I killed one elk with a Maxi-hunter and was so impressed with accuracy and how it performed that I tried to make it work in other guns of the same manufacturer with the same twist only to be frustrated to no end. I would suggest picking a box each of several bullets and play with powder combinations until you find what you want.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
so in regards to expansion do you think you get more out of the maxi hunter or the maxi ball? I wonder if there really is any much true difference between them other than their casted shape

I would say the great plains or the buffalo bullet probably expands better because its softer, but, i may be wrong

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never shot anything with any of the T/C maxi conicals, but have seen deer shot with the maxi hunters. I personally dont think they expand very much, if at all. I also think the Buffalo Bullets and the Hornadys are a little softer as well.

I havent had a gun yet that would shoot the T/C's as well as Buffalo Bullets or the Great Plains. I have tried them in 6 or 7 at least.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cast my 370 grain maxi balls with pure soft lead, and sort them by weight to eliminate bullets with air voids. I did try some of the 350 grain factory maxi-hunters in two TC rifles. My home cast will shoot clover leafs at 50 yds. The factory cast bullets shot about 2 inches at that range. My partner and I have probably taken about 40 deer with the 370 grain and never recoved a bullet. IMO, expansion with maxi is minimal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
excellent results on deer.

Is there any particular reason a .50, or 54 caliber conical has to do anything but drive cleanly through the vital area of the animal?

....pretty good SIZED hole, right from the get go.

What's the magic inherent in "expansion?"

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
The elk I shot was broadside at 60 yards. The Maxi-hunter passed through the chest and was trapped by the hide. It mushroomed to twice its diameter and retained its original weight. It was a one shot kill.
I don't recall if it was store bought or from my own Maxi-hunter mould.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.