Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I wouldn't rush it, you will need the money to live, it's not cheap there. I was there for 33 years and had a 30-06, 338 WM, 375 H&H and 45/70 plus others obviously but any of those would be additions to the 30-06 but with the 30-06 you aren't really in need. Hold off on the 44Mag, till you get there, you can't take it through Canada. Getting a job, in Alaska is like anywhere else. Much of it is who you know, as much as what you know. Plenty of guys here with ins that can put a good word out for you which makes a big difference. I wouldn't get in a huge hurry to move until the price of oil goes up, low oil prices make things more difficult. At least it's something to consider.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I truly appreciate all the info. It just shows first hand one of the big reasons that I want out of California and into Alaska, the people. It's good to know that there are still quality human beings out there who care people other than themselves and understand things like community as well as basic respect and responsibility.

If it was easy, everybody would do it.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm curious about the recoil difference between the .338 WM and the .375 H&H. I've never fired either but I've read that the .338 has a strong kick and .375 is more of a "push". Basically stating that although the .375 is a larger caliber is easier for some people to fire. Thoughts and comments?

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stick1330
I'm curious about the recoil difference between the .338 WM and the .375 H&H. I've never fired either but I've read that the .338 has a strong kick and .375 is more of a "push". Basically stating that although the .375 is a larger caliber is easier for some people to fire. Thoughts and comments?

All depends on stock design and fit, plus weight. In reality the .375 H&H produces more recoil than the .338WM (more powder to burn), but the average .375 H&H rifle is a lot heavier than the average .338WM, which helps with recoil.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Ray
.30-06, .300WM, and .338WM are the most popular cartridges in Alaska.

If you want to go bigger, pick a .338WM.

Ray, Ray, Ray....

You know he needs a .375 flavor.
smile

We all should have a .30-06, .300WM, .338WM, and a .375 smile

IC B2

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I wouldn't rush it, you will need the money to live, it's not cheap there. I was there for 33 years and had a 30-06, 338 WM, 375 H&H and 45/70 plus others obviously but any of those would be additions to the 30-06 but with the 30-06 you aren't really in need. Hold off on the 44Mag, till you get there, you can't take it through Canada. Getting a job, in Alaska is like anywhere else. Much of it is who you know, as much as what you know. Plenty of guys here with ins that can put a good word out for you which makes a big difference. I wouldn't get in a huge hurry to move until the price of oil goes up, low oil prices make things more difficult. At least it's something to consider.

You made a lot of sense, Cariboujack.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Wife and I are both smaller folks. Have fired up to 460s...

I"m 180 she is 115.

What I can say is speed of recoil is an issue for us. THe faster a lot hits you the worse it is.

338/375 is a wash IMHO. Neither one kicks bad enough for it to matter or be of any difference.

That being said sometimes larger folks are more sensitive to the recoil than smaller.

And in the end the only thing you need is a good bullet and right shot placement.

Find someone who has both and fire, but either is going to be the same category to me.

Finally bullet weight makes a difference too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I truly appreciate all the info. It just shows first hand one of the big reasons that I want out of California and into Alaska, the people. It's good to know that there are still quality human beings out there who care people other than themselves and understand things like community as well as basic respect and responsibility.

Stick,

Those folks still exist in plenty of places in Cali. I know them and I'm even related to some blush.

You may be more likely to run into them in AK as the percent of them in the total population there might be higher.

If you live in a city in CA you may just find that if you plan to live in a city in AK you may not be getting away from a lot of what you're trying to get away from. I can speak to that in regards to Juneau at least. I lived on the "outskirts" of that city and was glad I did.

Perhaps some of the other AK members here can speak to conditions in some off the larger cities in the state.

I had friends/acquaintances that grew up in Juneau and if their situations had allowed they would have moved, as their nice "community" had changed over the years. I've lived in a bunch of places in the lower 48 that have experienced similar "growing pains". Still, Juneau is a WHOLE lot nicer than San Diego where I grew up.

Good luck in your new adventure, whenever you get to wherever you're goin'.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its funny, but I've lived rural, 15 minutes out of a town of 4500 ish... most of my life. I would NOT live in town if I had to, well there are some instances but generally no.

I would not live in a large city on a bet.

Yet I'd rather live in Los Anchorage and at least be close(r) to nirvana... than not at all. And rather there in a heartbeat than where I live now for some reason. But I'd be scheming to get out asap once there...

I tend to prefer having only a few good friends and no one close enough to my house to be able to see, preferably even hear... LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know if this helps, but my hunting buddy and I both have nearly identical Browning X-Bolts. His is chambered in 338 Win Mag and mine in 300 Win Mag. I see very little difference in recoil. If anything, I think the recoil of my 300 may be just a bit sharper. My CZ550 American (Kevlar stock) in 9.3x62 is a little heavier and is more pleasant to shoot than either of the X-Bolts. I've never shot a 375 H&H or Ruger but I would think the recoil would be manageable.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rost495
Its funny, but I've lived rural, 15 minutes out of a town of 4500 ish... most of my life. I would NOT live in town if I had to, well there are some instances but generally no.

I would not live in a large city on a bet.

Yet I'd rather live in Los Anchorage and at least be close(r) to nirvana... than not at all. And rather there in a heartbeat than where I live now for some reason. But I'd be scheming to get out asap once there...

I tend to prefer having only a few good friends and no one close enough to my house to be able to see, preferably even hear... LOL

I never lived on a paved road until I was 18. I grew up outside of a village of 600 people. We raised our own cattle, pigs, sheep and chickens as well as growing a large garden. That's a huge part of why I need out of the city in general. I do appreciate the variety that the city offers but I would like to have a bonfire or take a piss in the back lawn without getting arrested. I don't think throwing clay pigeons and firing no. 8 shot over the neighbors' houses would work out well for me either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Stick,

Those folks still exist in plenty of places in Cali. I know them and I'm even related to some blush.

You may be more likely to run into them in AK as the percent of them in the total population there might be higher.

If you live in a city in CA you may just find that if you plan to live in a city in AK you may not be getting away from a lot of what you're trying to get away from. I can speak to that in regards to Juneau at least. I lived on the "outskirts" of that city and was glad I did.

Perhaps some of the other AK members here can speak to conditions in some off the larger cities in the state.

I had friends/acquaintances that grew up in Juneau and if their situations had allowed they would have moved, as their nice "community" had changed over the years. I've lived in a bunch of places in the lower 48 that have experienced similar "growing pains". Still, Juneau is a WHOLE lot nicer than San Diego where I grew up.

Geno

As I've said before, Alaska is a land of extremes and that goes for the people as well as the land.

You'll meet some of the finest people in the world, and some of the worst. Living remote is no guarantee to be around quality people, there are some really demented alcohol rattled in bread end of the roaders in small communities. There are also wonderful people in every corner of the state. Same goes with Anchorage or any of the other larger population centers.

Moving to Alaska is no panacea for escaping the ills of the world. No way I'd move back to the lower 48, but with an 18 year perspective I'd say it's what you make of it and what you bring to the table.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Stick,

Geno

As I've said before, Alaska is a land of extremes and that goes for the people as well as the land.

You'll meet some of the finest people in the world, and some of the worst. Living remote is no guarantee to be around quality people, there are some really demented alcohol rattled in bread end of the roaders in small communities. There are also wonderful people in every corner of the state. Same goes with Anchorage or any of the other larger population centers.

Moving to Alaska is no panacea for escaping the ills of the world. No way I'd move back to the lower 48, but with an 18 year perspective I'd say it's what you make of it and what you bring to the table.

Well said 458 Lott!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There seem to be several rather logical choices for a companion to the .30-06 M70:

.375 H&H
.260 Rem or 6.5x55
or a lever gun.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In equal weight rifles, I'll shoot a .375 over a .340 any day of the week. I can't speak for the .338 as I've only shot those that belonged to others, but the .340 gets your attention in a 8.5lb rifle.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ray

All depends on stock design and fit, plus weight. In reality the .375 H&H produces more recoil than the .338WM (more powder to burn), but the average .375 H&H rifle is a lot heavier than the average .338WM, which helps with recoil.

Yep, I'd also choose a 338 win mag....Something like this one: 7 3/4 pounds all up:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've found the 338WM to be a pussy cat if stocked right. My 375 weighs 10 lbs loaded and ready to go and will let you know it's there. The 338 and my 340 neither one kick as bad. The 375 is a Pre-64 model 70, and even had a straighter stock put on it. I guess a lot of it depends on the stock though the one on the 375 supposed to be the best design. The 340 is a Wby MkV, and the 338 I shot was an out of the box model 70 , modern pre-64 style.

OKAY, just went to page 1 and read the initial question. Personally, IF I were to go to something bigger than the 06, would go to the 338. But, many moose killed with the 06 every year. A guide up there recently told me he considered the 375 completely over the top for Moose. I don't know on that, so won't say, but he guides people all the time and said the 06 as good as it gets, especially with good bullets (that part mine). My dad killed his moose with two shots from the 06. Second one not necessary. He'd hit it in the chest from the side, as it was walking out of a pond, and it turned and came back into the pond, and he thought it might "be coming" so hit it again. Was using 180gr Nosler Partitions. I killed an Eland, which is as big as the normal moose, with one shot, using the 06, and a 165gr Partition. Today, that bullet or the TTSX is about as good as it gets. So no real need for a 2nd rifle or round. You WILL see the moose when you're out with the 06 hunting Caribou anyway, lol.

Last edited by ghost; 10/07/15.

Ghost
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kciH
I can't speak for the .338 as I've only shot those that belonged to others, but the .340 gets your attention in a 8.5lb rifle.

Well, as a fella at the Sporty Whse was overheard to say, "It's amazing how much difference those two thousandths make."

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by kciH
I can't speak for the .338 as I've only shot those that belonged to others, but the .340 gets your attention in a 8.5lb rifle.

Well, as a fella at the Sporty Whse was overheard to say, "It's amazing how much difference those two thousandths make."

Quotable. Lmao

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've used all manner of rifle calibers up here on just about every critter aside from sheep and goats. I would have no problem using a 30/06 loaded with good bullets for all my big game hunting. Heck I've used a 300 Savage for about 75% of my hunting the last 3 years. My main rifle I think of as my Alaska gun is a 35 Whelen and I own about 25 CF rifles from .17-.45 caliber.
I would sooner use the Whelen or an 06 and have my 17Rem for predators than only have an 06 and my 375 or 458. Big game is easy, but it takes a pretty specialized cartridge to do good work on fox and other fur critters without ruining hides.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,393 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,478
Posts18,451,845
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.