Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
On the hunt for 7-08 CRF M70 or similar for my son, can get new M70 with e MOA trigger easy enough but would prefer something from the Classic line.

Any faults with the MOA trigger if I end up going that route, or newly made m70's for that matter?

Last edited by warpig602; 10/03/15.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have 3 of the Classics and one FN made rifle with the MOA trigger. I like idea of the older traditional trigger, but out of the box the MOA trigger is better. With a little work and someone who knows what they are doing the older trigger can be just as good. I'd trust the older trigger to be more rugged and foolproof in extreme conditions which most of us will never see. But so far I've seen no reason to doubt the MOA trigger.

I ran across a good price on a used EW in 308 several years ago. I've since put it in an Edge stock and it has become my go-to rifle. My Classics are in 30-06 and 300 WSM. I like them too, but 308 is more than enough gun 99.9% of the time so it gets used more.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bought an FN FWT a few years ago. I have been very impressed with the fit and finish and it is one of my most accurate rifles including some customs. The MOA trigger would not adjust low enough for my preferences and I asked about it here on the Fire. Someone pointed me to Ernies springs and now I like it just fine. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't pay extra to get a Classic if I could get the same rifle manufactured by FN. I buy rifles to shoot, not for collector value.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I dont know if there is much collector value from one to the other. My main curiosity of there were any drop in quality or shortcuts n newly made rifles vs the old.

It seems all to often these days when a company is bought or moved, the final product isnt the same as it was before, and not in a good way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had two EW's with the MOA trigger. The first, a .308, had an excellent trigger pull out of the box and it shot lights out; but like a lot of Loonies I ended up trading it off. Wish I hadn't. My second EW was in 7mm-08. It didn't shoot quite as good as the .308, but was acceptable. The MOA trigger was mushy feeling and wouldn't adjust to my liking. I probably should have tried Ernie's springs but didn't. Now it too is gone. Therefore, to answer your question, I'm 50/50........

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had good luck so far with the new trigger. Both rifles I have with it have better pulls then the older ones. I do like the simplicity of the old trigger but I haven't heard yet of a new one failing. They really aren't that complex compared to a Timney for instance. Just because they have a box around them doesn't make them less reliable.

Gun people are funny, especially model 70 folks, of which I'm one. Anytime something changes people pine for the old stuff whether it's really better or not. In my mind the new classic M70's are some of the best ever made. They improved several features that were weak points in the pre- 64 design but no body gives them credit for it.

Last edited by Cougarz; 10/04/15.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cougarz
I've had good luck so far with the new trigger. Both rifles I have with it have better pulls then the older ones. I do like the simplicity of the old trigger but I haven't heard yet of a new one failing. They really aren't that complex compared to a Timney for instance. Just because they have a box around them doesn't make them less reliable.

Gun people are funny, especially model 70 folks, of which I'm one. Anytime something changes people pine for the old stuff whether it's really better or not. In my mind the new classic M70's are some of the best ever made. They improved several features that were weak points in the pre- 64 design but no body gives them credit for it.

I love my pre64s, but I agree with this. The new M70s are hard to beat.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My problem with the MOA trigger is that you absolutely have to use Ernie's spring for the trigger to meet the advertising copy that accompanied its introduction.

I've replaced the spring in four rifles. Prior to replacing the spring, none of them would adjust to 3 lbs. and one refused to adjust below 4 lbs. Now all four rifles will allow adjustment to 3 lbs and a couple will actually go below. However, one retains a two stage trigger similar to an old Mauser.

Overall the FN guns seems to be of higher workmanship than the later Classics and the accuracy will probably be superior.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Fantastic news, guess I'll call my distributor and see what they have.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I also like the new trigger. I put in the spring (which was easy and hardly cost anything) and it breaks clean and crips at 3 pounds. Really a great feeling trigger. My rifle is a USA made FN rifle - not Brazillian if that makes any difference.

My Pre-64 is better, but my classic (totally stock) is not. Probably because the classic hasn't been shot much.

YMMV.

Jeff

Last edited by Paradiddle; 10/05/15.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Compact Featherweight in 7-08 for 699.99? Should make a fine rifle for my sons first?

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I also like the new trigger. I put in the spring (which was easy and hardly cost anything) and it breaks clean and crips at 3 pounds. Really a great feeling trigger. My rifle is a USA made FN rifle - not Brazillian if that makes any difference.

My Pre-64 is better, but my classic (totally stock) is not. Probably because the classic hasn't been shot much.

YMMV.

Jeff

LOL Brazillian... I think you mean Portugese assembled, their was never anything brazil involved.. Parts are still made in America.

Last edited by 79S; 10/05/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by warpig602
Compact Featherweight in 7-08 for 699.99? Should make a fine rifle for my sons first?

Should make a fine rifle for your son.. I like the FN made model 70's the last few yrs of the New Haven run classics the QC was lacking that's why rifles with SN in the 7 digit range are really frowned upon I have 3 of them two are great shooters and one whew talk about a [bleep] barrel. A lot of guys will not buy a Classic if the SN is over 350000 I guess they know something.. Anyhow I have EW in a 325 WSM and first load I tried in it, it was shooting tiny groups the trigger on it is pretty good as well is it the old style trigger good no but its hell of a lot better than some other triggers out their.

Last edited by 79S; 10/05/15.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

YMMV.

Jeff

LOL Brazillian... I think you mean Portugese assembled, their was never anything brazil involved.. Parts are still made in America.

ugh!!! I was thinking of Browning I think - didn't they have portuguese guns? Or it could just be CRS syndrome.....

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All browning rifles are assembled in Portugal as well.. Browning shotguns japan if I remember right... But Winchester model 70's are being assembled in Portugal a lot of guys say they will never buy a model 70 again... But they are still selling those model 70's as fast as they can produce them

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 79S

Should make a fine rifle for your son.. I like the FN made model 70's the last few yrs of the New Haven run classics the QC was lacking that's why rifles with SN in the 7 digit range are really frowned upon I have 3 of them two are great shooters and one whew talk about a [bleep] barrel. A lot of guys will not buy a Classic if the SN is over 350000 I guess they know something.. Anyhow I have EW in a 325 WSM and first load I tried in it, it was shooting tiny groups the trigger on it is pretty good as well is it the old style trigger good no but its hell of a lot better than some other triggers out their.

Thanks for the tip. Been bit by the M70 so these tidbits are appreciated.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks for the tip. Been bit by the M70 so these tidbits are appreciated.

If you can find a 5 digit classic then you are set the QC on them was very good only thing you might need to change is the extractor.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Don't do it! He will never be able to justify buying another rifle! grin

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

Don't do it! He will never be able to justify buying another rifle! grin

hahaha, I half thought of this. I thought maybe I'll start him on a 243, then 06, eventually a 338 or 416. The 7-08 is just one of those rifles that can be a great back up to any other caliber and still let him take most north american game without ever having to upgrade.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.