Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Great read, almost made me want one. Actually I do have a HCR and I can say my experience with them was all good. This article is just another example of John's skill with words.

Last edited by super T; 10/04/15.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you liked the article!

Hill Country does make nice rifles....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J.B. and Brian Pearce are my go-to guys for the straight poop on stuff these days. John's stuff is all over the place. Wouldn't surprise me to see his byline in TV Guide or the Watchtower.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/05/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do those run hunting stories? smile

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure. I haven't read a TV guide in a couple of decades and the Jehovah's Witnesses don't linger when I answer the door with Kimber The Wonder Dog going bullsh*t beside me and a snubbie riding crossdraw in my belt. Lack of faith, I suppose.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not sure. I haven't read a TV guide in a couple of decades and the Jehovah's Witnesses don't linger when I answer the door with Kimber The Wonder Dog going bullsh*t beside me and a snubbie riding crossdraw in my belt. Lack of faith, I suppose.

You're not answering the door reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in your Stars and Stipes boxers again, are you? eek

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the heads up on the other thread John,

I hope Eileen gets more game than you this year. But you get a bunch too! Us menfolks need to be kept in our place.

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/05/15. Reason: reading two posts at once, oops

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

laugh

Now, don't you know, you're the one they talk about when they get back to the house... cool

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

When I was in college, I had what I think was the world's meanest redbone hound. All the time I lived in that apartment I never had a visit from a Jehovah's Witnesses or someone selling Girl Scout cookies.

I missed the cookies.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Geno,

She generally does get more big game than I do, at least in Montana. But not birds!

She learned rifle shooting quickly and well, but it's taken far longer for wingshooting to start working. Lately it's been going much better, in fact she dropped a double out of the first flock of Canada geese that came into the decoys last month in Alberta--with her 20-gauge semiauto. But she's still not as good as I am, probably because I started shotgunning in my early teens, and she didn't start until her late 30's....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

I like happy stories. Thanks.

And if I'm hearing you right, you're correcting the old myth that a 20 ga for geese is like using a .270 for anything over antelope, not enough gun. grin

Good hunting,

Upland starts here in a couple of weeks. I can hardly wait. I won't get many without a dog, but I like going for walks with my shotgun.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

You're not answering the door reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in your Stars and Stipes boxers again, are you? eek

Geno

Underwear? We don't need no stinking underwear.

Something about that didn't come out right.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

Underwear? We don't need no stinking underwear.

Something about that didn't come out right.

OOPS, my mistake. You're right, no undies necessary..

Just answer the door reciting the Pledge nekkid with the Stars and Stripes flying from YOUR pole! shocked

That'll keep them prosletyzers away,

most everyone else too,

even friends,

except maybe the guys in the white coats!

Geno

In it is contentment

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
laugh

That's way too much information... shocked

By brain is still trying to un-think that one... blush

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by super T
Great read, almost made me want one. Actually I do have a HCR and I can say my experience with them was all good. This article is just another example of John's skill with words.

Just got my copy via download, and I'm somewhat surprised that this fine specimen of a hunting rifle, didn't arrive via the used rack of the now famous Capital Sports & Western Wear of Helena Montana. wink

MD : Would you now say that the .280 Ackley is truly the finest mule deer hunting cartridge ? I know how fond you are of the .270 Win

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Had a friend who grew up in Alaska. Told a story about when her parents bought the house back in the early '70s, (before they had kids) and they were the last ones at the end of the road. One day, the Mormons came to visit the new young couple in town while her dad was out mowing the lawn wearing his boots and his gun. Had a friendly conversation with them. They never came back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got my copy today. I just scanned the article for the test groups and the (URK!) price, but the rifle looks really nice.

I try to stretch out my copies by only reading an article or two a day and tend to save your stuff (and Pearce's) for last.

Sorry about the above thread hijack, but please note it wasn't me that started talking about my underwear.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got my copy today. I just scanned the article for the test groups and the (URK!) price, but the rifle looks really nice.

I try to stretch out my copies by only reading an article or two a day and tend to save your stuff (and Pearce's) for last.

Sorry about the above thread hijack, but please note it wasn't me that started talking about my underwear.

Sorry gentlemen, my bad, oops blush

Back on topic now.

I got my copy yesterday too late to read it. I look forward to seeing what MD has written in any mag I get.

Geno

PS, thank you in advance for your forgiveness.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went ahead and read the whole thing today. Good stuff, as per usual. The rifle looks like a winner for those who can afford it, with none of the drama that seems to be the rule for "custom" rifles at the low end of the scale. Guess the extra money real quality costs ain't really extra.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I and some buddy's on here have owned prolly 8-10 HCR units and every single one shot great to unbelievable...nuff said..

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.