Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Paddler

Agreed. It would be so much better if they walked. Let them explore, play in the dirt, find bugs, fill their pockets with rocks. Oh, and learn about hunting ethics, fair play, etc. Teach them that grandpa is an outdoor stud instead of just another overfed slob who fancies himself a hunter..

I am pretty sure those kids already know exactly what kind of man Grandpa is. And I bet that any kind of "slob" never entered their mind.

I thank the Good Lord that I never had to share a hunt with any man who considered himself an "outdoor stud."

I have no use the kind of person who thinks of game as "sport". It is meat and, as a living creature deserves to be harvested as humanely as possible.

A heavy bullet to the head is much more humane than a piece of # six shot to the wing, and cripples running over the mountain.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
What about slob fishermen that actually use a boat to go fishing from instead of being a sporting he-man and swimming up the river to where the fishing spot is. Some of them actually stoop so low as to use a rod and reel instead of a handline... give the poor fish a chance folks. Catching fish while swim-trolling with a handline now that's for a real sportsman.

If you don't kick the fish up out of the water and cast your handline at a flying fish, you are a slob.

Don't use hooks either, hooks are for slobs. Lasso the fish, but they have to be flying. Then let your dog chew the chit out of the fish and bring it to you. But it can't be a domestic dog. Be a man, catch a wolf and tame it, train it.

Slobs.

Last edited by northern_dave; 10/04/15.

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What about slob fishermen that actually use a boat to go fishing from instead of being a sporting he-man and swimming up the river to where the fishing spot is. Some of them actually stoop so low as to use a rod and reel instead of a handline... give the poor fish a chance folks. Catching fish while swim-trolling with a handline now that's for a real sportsman.

Oh, we use handlines, too, but just for tuna. And a boat, too, because we're so far offshore:

http://vid1020.photobucket.com/albu...lt%20Water/La%20Push%202010/IMG_6073.mp4

http://vid1020.photobucket.com/albu...lt%20Water/La%20Push%202010/IMG_6074.mp4

Last edited by Paddler; 10/04/15.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I take my dog grouse hunting she gets more than I do. Dang things are so dumb I'm surprised they aren't extinct. Oh and my dog is fast.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
So, you ride around in a side by side ATV and ground sluice grouse? And guys here think that's cool? What about the rules of fair chase??? Ever heard of sportsmanship? The only thing you should shoot grouse on the ground or in a tree with is a freaking camera.

[Linked Image]

Paddler, sometimes it's "to each their own". I kinda like the type of hunting you describe and wish I had a nice double and a good bird dog myself.

However, I personally don't believe what Shrapnel did is considered "ground sluicing". To me ground sluicing is shooting more than one bird/animal, standing in the road, with a shotgun maximizing the amount of game taken with one shot.

I personally would like to have the option for grouse in my state with my 25-20 revolver, as I would carry that while deer/elk hunting but it's not allowed due to caliber restrictions during centerfire seasons. I think it takes a high degree of skill to head shoot a grouse with a 4" bbl pistol. Not really "unsporting" in my book, But that's me.

I bow hunt with a "stick and string" longbow that weighs all of a pound with silencers on the string. I use wooden arrows with fixed broadheads. I've never taken anything with it because the shots I've been presented "I" couldn't take ethically. Do I wish to stop others from using compounds, sights, releases, range finders, and mechanical points? Do I consider that equipment "unsporting"? Not really. I do wish, from my standpoint, that more jurisdictions would go to split season for modern and primitive archery. The same goes for muzzleloaders.

Many times I wear handmade moccasins (my hands made them) or sometimes hunt barefoot depending on conditions. I wear wool and cotton (again condition related), very few synthetics in my wardrobe. Do I think it not very sportsmanlike for folks to wear the latest "Scent lok", Windstopper, Gore tex, super dooper fleece along with their scentproof knee high latest version of rubber boots? Short answer... NO.

I do hunt at times with "modern" firearms of various calibers. I'm not into "long range" hunting. Do I believe it's not "fair chase" for guys to shoot game at 500, 600 or more yards? Maybe a bit risky given the things that could happen, but not unsporting really.

A question for you, my fellow campfire attendee:

I have a pump shotgun. Is that OK to hunt grouse with? It legally holds 3 shells, should I only load two so as not to be less "sportsmanlike" than folks with double guns? Perhaps when I go pheasant, quail, chukar hunting this season I should go to the local pawn shop and pick up a single shot first? And find some 2 1/2 inch shells as those 2 3/4 or god forbid 3" ones could be seen by some as not very sporty.

I don't hunt "varmits" like prairie dogs, gophers, gray diggers, rock chucks, groundhogs and stuff but a lot of folks here do. I sometimes think it would be more "sporting" of them to stand in the middle a PD town with a sharp stick or ball bat and have them get the little f'rs like "Whack a Mole" (it would be hilarious to watch too, have you seen pics of some of these old guys? laugh ) I don't mind if they do it the way they like to do it, it's just not something I'm going to put energy into.

I'm about done putting energy into this reply so let me close with this idea.

Perhaps to be more sporting, in the spirit of fair chase, you might consider taking to the grouse woods the next time, after canoeing in or perhaps riding on your trusty steed, dressed in a capote with a possibles bag around your shoulder (containing real black powder), while carrying a smoothbore flintlock trade gun. No dog, you would have had to eat him a week or two back as you were nearing starvation. That's some folks' idea of "sportsmanship"

Or better yet, like some "primtive" peoples hunt, naked except for a "nutsack" tied to a string around your waste while using a blowgun to harvest a spruce chicken (no I DO NOT want to see pics of any of you other old dude take me up on this!! sick ) grin

I honestly hope you enjoy your fall seasons. When I manage to get some time off work later this fall, I intend to enjoy mine, in the sporting manner I see fit.

Geno

PS, Travis would have said all this with just a few letters. wink

PPS, now I've got less time tonight to do serious stuff on the 'fire. Like research .223 AI, Cermalube, and new cartridges based off another. eek

Geno, I hunt with a recurve, a 33 year-old Howatt Hunter before they were bought by Martin. I make my own cedar arrows, too, with 2 bladed Zwickey broadheads. The quiver below was made from green deerhide, per Saxton Pope's description in his classic, "Hunting With The Bow and Arrow". If you haven't read it, as a traditional archer I'm sure you would find it fascinating:

[Linked Image]

I don't kill much, I only hunt archery elk a couple days per year. Don't even hunt deer anymore, even though as a lifetime licensee I get a tag every year. I just don't want to eat one. I won't ever use a compound, I'll just hang it up when I can no longer handle a 70# recurve.

It's more important to me these days not what I kill, but how I take game. Sportsmanship matters, which for me means taking game birds only on the wing. If you're going to shoot birds on the ground, just go buy a chicken. Aldo Leopold said, "The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size, but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." Riding an ATV road hunting grouse is a failure, those who condone it are a sorry lot. Nothing beats a dog getting birdy, freezing on point, the flush, and more often than not, the missed shot. I understand it's all legal, ATVs, shooting sitting birds with a variety of weapons, but what a miserable way to hunt. Leopold again:

“Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”
― Aldo Leopold

Interesting bow and quiver. I will attempt to remember that book and look for it when next shopping for reading material for next work season. Interesting that I also use a Howatt, "The Stick" according to the markings on the bow, my first a 45Lb and the newer one (By Martin) is a 55lb.

Not mine, but the pics on this forum show what I use:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=006589;p=1

Now, for a question regarding your beliefs on an "ethical" view of sportmanship and such things. Again, we may disagree.

Your statement: "Sportsmanship matters, which for me means taking game birds only on the wing"

You mention, somewhere I believe, hunting elk with your bow.

My "ethical" question:

Do you believe it is "unsporting" to take a target of opportunity, lets say a grouse, with your bow while out hunting elk?

If not "unsporting", would you let said grouse get off the ground first?

Awaiting your response,

Geno

PS, it is my opinion that the invective you use to denigrate the legal behavior of some of our members adds nothing to the conversation, further inflames them against you, leading to personal attacks on YOUR character, and will not in the least help to convince them that some things "might" be better if accomplished in a different manner.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting bow and quiver. I will attempt to remember that book and look for it when next shopping for reading material for next work season. Interesting that I also use a Howatt, "The Stick" according to the markings on the bow, my first a 45Lb and the newer one (By Martin) is a 55lb.

Howatt bows are always heavier than marked because they measured from the belly of the bow just above the shelf, instead of at the throat of the grip like virtually every other maker did/does.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's why Paddlers 70 pounder is actually 75#.

Too much pain for me, I shoot 55#.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Oh, we use handlines, too, but just for tuna. And a boat, too, because we're so far offshore:

http://vid1020.photobucket.com/albu...lt%20Water/La%20Push%202010/IMG_6073.mp4

http://vid1020.photobucket.com/albu...lt%20Water/La%20Push%202010/IMG_6074.mp4

A real sportsman would braid their own handlines using their own hair or to be even more sporting, fish like an otter... fishing lines, we don't need no stinking fishing lines. :-)

Since you don't like people hunting with an ATV, I imagine that you get out of the motor boat and into a kayak or raft before you start fishing, right?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

A heavy bullet to the head is much more humane than a piece of # six shot to the wing, and cripples running over the mountain.

^^^^ see above, oh ye of self righteous bent...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never actually put a draw weight scale to mine so I have no idea what they actually "pull" at my draw length.

For now, I 'll use the numbers on them, like I do with the numbers on the box of shotgun shells, 1250fps, right guys? laugh

Ghost, I understand the pain thing. Believe me, after going thru rotator cuff/bicep tendon repair on both sides, it was extremely nice to have the 45lb version to use when I started to get back to shooting my bow!

And I hope you too are enjoying a fine Sunday afternoon (or morning depending on longtitude).

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Agreed. It would be so much better if they walked. Let them explore, play in the dirt, find bugs, fill their pockets with rocks. Oh, and learn about hunting ethics, fair play, etc. Teach them that grandpa is an outdoor stud instead of just another overfed slob who fancies himself a hunter..

I am pretty sure those kids already know exactly what kind of man Grandpa is. And I bet that any kind of "slob" never entered their mind.

I thank the Good Lord that I never had to share a hunt with any man who considered himself an "outdoor stud."

I have no use the kind of person who thinks of game as "sport". It is meat and, as a living creature deserves to be harvested as humanely as possible.

Very true and very well said!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

To satisfy the sportsmen, we are taking a dog thi trip...

[Linked Image]

Thank God theres no kids around that dog, no telling the blood and gore a savage beast like that could cause in a rouge minute.
Isn't that one of those buffalo hounds that Rourk wrote about, the ones they only turn loose when some greenhorn wounds a buff and he gets into the thick stuff, the dog goes in and kills the buff before it stomps all of the stupid out of the rookie?
Glad to see you keep him safely under wraps till needed. smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

To satisfy the sportsmen, we are taking a dog thi trip...

[Linked Image]

Thats a dog? Looks like you bagged an owl.

MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
So, you ride around in a side by side ATV and ground sluice grouse? And guys here think that's cool? What about the rules of fair chase??? Ever heard of sportsmanship? The only thing you should shoot grouse on the ground or in a tree with is a freaking camera.

[Linked Image]

Paddler, sometimes it's "to each their own". I kinda like the type of hunting you describe and wish I had a nice double and a good bird dog myself.

However, I personally don't believe what Shrapnel did is considered "ground sluicing". To me ground sluicing is shooting more than one bird/animal, standing in the road, with a shotgun maximizing the amount of game taken with one shot.

I personally would like to have the option for grouse in my state with my 25-20 revolver, as I would carry that while deer/elk hunting but it's not allowed due to caliber restrictions during centerfire seasons. I think it takes a high degree of skill to head shoot a grouse with a 4" bbl pistol. Not really "unsporting" in my book, But that's me.

I bow hunt with a "stick and string" longbow that weighs all of a pound with silencers on the string. I use wooden arrows with fixed broadheads. I've never taken anything with it because the shots I've been presented "I" couldn't take ethically. Do I wish to stop others from using compounds, sights, releases, range finders, and mechanical points? Do I consider that equipment "unsporting"? Not really. I do wish, from my standpoint, that more jurisdictions would go to split season for modern and primitive archery. The same goes for muzzleloaders.

Many times I wear handmade moccasins (my hands made them) or sometimes hunt barefoot depending on conditions. I wear wool and cotton (again condition related), very few synthetics in my wardrobe. Do I think it not very sportsmanlike for folks to wear the latest "Scent lok", Windstopper, Gore tex, super dooper fleece along with their scentproof knee high latest version of rubber boots? Short answer... NO.

I do hunt at times with "modern" firearms of various calibers. I'm not into "long range" hunting. Do I believe it's not "fair chase" for guys to shoot game at 500, 600 or more yards? Maybe a bit risky given the things that could happen, but not unsporting really.

I have a pump shotgun. Is that OK to hunt grouse with? It legally holds 3 shells, should I only load two so as not to be less "sportsmanlike" than folks with double guns? Perhaps when I go pheasant, quail, chukar hunting this season I should go to the local pawn shop and pick up a single shot first? And find some 2 1/2 inch shells as those 2 3/4 or god forbid 3" ones could be seen by some as not very sporty.

I don't hunt "varmits" like prairie dogs, gophers, gray diggers, rock chucks, groundhogs and stuff but a lot of folks here do. I sometimes think it would be more "sporting" of them to stand in the middle a PD town with a sharp stick or ball bat and have them get the little f'rs like "Whack a Mole" (it would be hilarious to watch too, have you seen pics of some of these old guys? laugh ) I don't mind if they do it the way they like to do it, it's just not something I'm going to put energy into.

Perhaps to be more sporting, in the spirit of fair chase, you might consider taking to the grouse woods the next time, after canoeing in or perhaps riding on your trusty steed, dressed in a capote with a possibles bag around your shoulder (containing real black powder), while carrying a smoothbore flintlock trade gun. No dog, you would have had to eat him a week or two back as you were nearing starvation. That's some folks' idea of "sportsmanship"

Or better yet, like some "primtive" peoples hunt, naked except for a "nutsack" tied to a string around your waste while using a blowgun to harvest a spruce chicken (no I DO NOT want to see pics of any of you other old dude take me up on this!! sick ) grin

I honestly hope you enjoy your fall seasons. When I manage to get some time off work later this fall, I intend to enjoy mine, in the sporting manner I see fit.

Geno

PPS, now I've got less time tonight to do serious stuff on the 'fire. Like research .223 AI, Cermalube, and new cartridges based off another. eek

Geno, I hunt with a recurve, a 33 year-old Howatt Hunter before they were bought by Martin. I make my own cedar arrows, too, with 2 bladed Zwickey broadheads. The quiver below was made from green deerhide, per Saxton Pope's description in his classic, "Hunting With The Bow and Arrow". If you haven't read it, as a traditional archer I'm sure you would find it fascinating:

[Linked Image]

I don't kill much, I only hunt archery elk a couple days per year. Don't even hunt deer anymore, even though as a lifetime licensee I get a tag every year. I just don't want to eat one. I won't ever use a compound, I'll just hang it up when I can no longer handle a 70# recurve.

It's more important to me these days not what I kill, but how I take game. Sportsmanship matters, which for me means taking game birds only on the wing. If you're going to shoot birds on the ground, just go buy a chicken. Aldo Leopold said, "The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size, but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." Riding an ATV road hunting grouse is a failure, those who condone it are a sorry lot. Nothing beats a dog getting birdy, freezing on point, the flush, and more often than not, the missed shot. I understand it's all legal, ATVs, shooting sitting birds with a variety of weapons, but what a miserable way to hunt. Leopold again:

“Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”
― Aldo Leopold

Now, for a question regarding your beliefs on an "ethical" view of sportmanship and such things. Again, we may disagree.

Your statement: "Sportsmanship matters, which for me means taking game birds only on the wing"

My "ethical" question:

Do you believe it is "unsporting" to take a target of opportunity, lets say a grouse, with your bow while out hunting elk?

Awaiting your response,

Geno

PS, it is my opinion that the invective you use to denigrate the legal behavior of some of our members adds nothing to the conversation, further inflames them against you, leading to personal attacks on YOUR character, and will not in the least help to convince them that some things "might" be better if accomplished in a different manner.

Good question. I carry a blunt with me while hunting elk in case I run into a grouse, want to practice estimating range, etc. I've killed one with it. I killed one with a rock once, too. Those were incidental kills while pursuing other game, scouting, etc. In my view that's a very different scenario than riding around in an ATV with a revolver loaded with bird shot specifically intending to pot shoot grouse. It's also more difficult to kill a grouse with a bow than the way that fellow killed his.

Regarding your last point, I came here after the UCC shooting to float a plan to help reduce gun violence. The very first response was to call me a traitor, the second was GFY, etc. Your suggestion assumes the guys here are reasonable, thoughtful individuals. Their behavior doesn't support that assumption.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I think my 70# actually measures quite close to that. The 80# was a grunt when I was younger. Haven't tried to pull it recently, pretty sure I'd fail and/or hurt myself.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]

Geno

[Linked Image]

― Aldo Leopold

My "ethical" question:

Awaiting your response,

Geno

Good question. I carry a blunt with me while hunting elk in case I run into a grouse, want to practice estimating range, etc. I've killed one with it. I killed one with a rock once, too. Those were incidental kills while pursuing other game, scouting, etc. In my view that's a very different scenario than riding around in an ATV with a revolver loaded with bird shot specifically intending to pot shoot grouse. It's also more difficult to kill a grouse with a bow than the way that fellow killed his.

Regarding your last point, I came here after the UCC shooting to float a plan to help reduce gun violence. The very first response was to call me a traitor, the second was GFY, etc. Your suggestion assumes the guys here are reasonable, thoughtful individuals. Their behavior doesn't support that assumption.

I'm thinking a golf site might be more accommodating for your style of reasoning.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your suggestion assumes the guys here are reasonable, thoughtful individuals. Their behavior doesn't support that assumption.

All true here too.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think my 70# actually measures quite close to that. The 80# was a grunt when I was younger. Haven't tried to pull it recently, pretty sure I'd fail and/or hurt myself.

That could be, but I know for a fact that Howatts were measured at the belly and not the throat of the grip, which is usually 1.75" longer.

I've spoken with Larry Hatfield about it and he designed much of the Howatt line. horses mouth as it were...

Yer pulling more # than you thought you were.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

2 more reasons for the ATV...

[Linked Image]

Oh, you mean you want to teach them to be lazy slob hunters, road hunting instead of exerting oneself, shooting birds on the ground instead of following the rules of fair chase. You're an excellent example for the next generation.

Just a guess, but I'd put my money on Shrap for who has exerted himself more in the chase of game over the years- and success in taking it. I've never met any person so stupid, or so full of themselves to not take game closer to the road if the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 10/04/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I troll buy swimming with a #3 mepps tied to my pecker.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,548 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.