Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dale Nygaard had a great deal on a circa 1956 Sauer drilling in 16/16/8X57JRS, scoped with a 4-6 Dinox in claw mounts. The wood is dark dense burl, and the gun shoots dead-nuts on at 200 yards with S&B ammo.

The wife sold the small home she inherited and told me to buy any gun I wanted. I didn't have the heart to order that Purdy round action 28 gauge, however. whistle

I had to sell a very straight first year post war production Sauer with the same tubes recently to pay medical bills, so this gun is salve on the wounds. laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Great catch, Bruce! 8x57JRS can be loaded up to serious .30-06 levels, in case you need to kill something HUGE.

But I like those rounds at .30-40 levels with modern construction bullets for deer and piggies. Enough is.... enough.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Dale Nygaard had a great deal on a circa 1956 Sauer drilling in 16/16/8X57JRS, scoped with a 4-6 Dinox in claw mounts. The wood is dark dense burl, and the gun shoots dead-nuts on at 200 yards with S&B ammo.

The wife sold the small home she inherited and told me to buy any gun I wanted. I didn't have the heart to order that Purdy round action 28 gauge, however. whistle

I had to sell a very straight first year post war production Sauer with the same tubes recently to pay medical bills, so this gun is salve on the wounds. laugh

You know the rules...

Pics, or it didn't happen.

wink

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
By the looks of the pics, it...

happened. wink

Thanks for the pics, it's a beautiful piece of work.

Enjoy it as it should be enjoyed,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mesa
Great catch, Bruce! 8x57JRS can be loaded up to serious .30-06 levels, in case you need to kill something HUGE.

But I like those rounds at .30-40 levels with modern construction bullets for deer and piggies. Enough is.... enough.

YES on the 30-40! cool

I always maintained that a drilling in 16 gauge and 30-40 and a drilling in 12gauge and 348 Win would be an ultimate set for North America. wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BTW...

This one from Simpson Ltd proved to be junk, as did the Sauer 12ga SXS they advertised as a great gun. I no longer trust Simpson at all. They did give me a refund, less my FFL Brady fees and my shipping back to them for two guns they misrepresented, even after I called to discuss the guns Before my purchase.

I needed this, I guess... whistle I have its little brother in 6.5X57R.

Besides, they take plastic. eek laugh

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=36570

Last edited by luv2safari; 10/02/15.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice.. Enjoy..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking rig. I'll drop by in the spring again 5o look at it if all goes well.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice drilling, in a great caliber. My favorite bullet in those is the Hornady 170 grain round nose "interlock". They expand well and stay together for good penetration. Accurate & Light recoil too.
Good job!

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, guys. wink

erich:

We'll need to plan better, so I can get an opportunity to shoot that sweet coyote killer drilling of yours.

Bray:

I need to track down some of the Hornady 170s. I used some a while back in a 98 Mauser, and they were good bullets. I have a supply of Combined Technology 180s for my 325 WSM I need to try out, also.

I think R15 would be about right for the 170s. I have a pound of R17 I might try for the 180s. Any powder tips are appreciated.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
That is a sweet drilling. I only have one, a Franz Jaeger 16x16x222R. I am more enamored of it every day.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
That is a sweet drilling. I only have one, a Franz Jaeger 16x16x222R. I am more enamored of it every day.

I'll bet the workmanship is excellent. It's a nice light grouse whacker and deer tipper. If you get a chance, please post some pix of it. Id love to have a look. wink cool

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like to use 4064 (41.5 gr.) with the 170 gr IL RN, Nice accuracy, low pressure <36K PSI and decent performance of @ 2350 FPS, dep on bbl length. You can kick it up a couple grains to get over 2500 after starting there. But unless you're after elk at 200 yards, you probably don't need it.
Have taken a lot of game with that load in my Krieghoff "trump" 8x57JRS drilling, from the everglades to Alaska.

there's a short piece I did on (classic) hunting calibers on my website.

I usually prefer the old familiar powders, but have recently gone to Varget on my 7x57 and some others, with impressive results.

The 8x57 got a bad rap for awhile due to some mausers that weren't too accurate, flooding the US market. But the opposite is actually true. It's a very efficient and inherently accurate round. I was still chambering custom rifles for it, up until I stopped doing that work. Everyone I ever made one for raved about the rifle's performance, on the range & in the field.

Looking forward to your range report on that new drilling. Be sure to include a round of sporting clays (and tell us your score smile

Thanks, guys. wink

erich:

We'll need to plan better, so I can get an opportunity to shoot that sweet coyote killer drilling of yours.

Bray:

I need to track down some of the Hornady 170s. I used some a while back in a 98 Mauser, and they were good bullets. I have a supply of Combined Technology 180s for my 325 WSM I need to try out, also.

I think R15 would be about right for the 170s. I have a pound of R17 I might try for the 180s. Any powder tips are appreciated.

Last edited by brayhaven; 10/08/15.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We don't have anywhere to shoot sporting clays here, so the quail catch hll, instead. laugh

I use a lot of 4064, also, and find it perfect in a 9,3X74R, also very good in my 8X57JR loads, as is R15. I'll try both and let you know where I end up. wink

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

I'll bet the workmanship is excellent. It's a nice light grouse whacker and deer tipper. If you get a chance, please post some pix of it. Id love to have a look. wink cool

As requested here's a few pics. From my research it started life as a 16x16x8x57 and was relined at sometime to 222 Rimmed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
THAT rates a two-cool! cool cool

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

As requested here's a few pics. From my research it started life as a 16x16x8x57 and was relined at sometime to 222 Rimmed.

Nice looking piece and an interesting choice of calibre. Was it done here in Oz?

What brass do you use? It was factory loaded here at one time, by Super Ammunition, but that went off the market a good long while back, and I think Bertram is the only one making brass specifically for .222 Rimmed now.

I had a Martini Cadet in that calibre, and used Bertram brass, but I've since had it rebarreled in 5.6x50R.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 222R brass is getting harder to find here in the US. Too bad. It's a great round. My favorite of the 22 centerfires has always been the 222. Probably the most accurate and balanced 22 CF ever made.
Relining drillings usually adds some weight but can make one much more usable. I've relined several 11mm drillings to 30/30 Ackley improved. One of my all time favorite break open calibers.

Last edited by brayhaven; 10/11/15.

Greg
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
It came with 100 rounds of brass but they had no headstamp. Though they were unfired cases, several of them had cracked necks. I have been playing with 357 Maximum brass to make new brass for it. It comes out .010 short but that's really no problem. It makes up perfectly otherwise. I haven't had a chance to range test any of that brass yet.

I have to agree on the 222. This is my fifth one and I'm sure not my last. I regret having traded off a Remington 600 in 222 many years ago. It was amazingly accurate, liked just about any bullet and 4198 and was a delight to carry other than some knuckle head put the bolt on the wrong side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.