Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am reasonably sure this is a Stevens 4253 scope that was introduced for use on the 425 Hi-Power, the rear mount looks correct but has the wrong hole spacing and the front mount is of a type introduced a few years after the scope & 425 were discontinued. Specification for the mounts were not provided in the description but I had asked about them before purchasing it, the rear hole spacing was odd and the front mount was for a 3/8" dovetail, the Stevens 425 takes a smaller dovetail. I think this is a really rare scope so I took a chance on being able to modify the mounts some way to fit it on a 425. The scope has the standard Stevens markings for a scope with the exception that it's left blank where the model number is supposed to be stamped.

There still were a couple things that surprised me when I got the scope - the rear mount was machined for a dovetail and there was no horizontal adjustment! (the right side had not been pictured)
[Linked Image]

Here are all the catalogs I have that list the scope, the pocket catalog just has a written description with the lengths of both the 4253 & 5255 stated as 12½" and just vertical adjustment mentioned. The catalog No 53 dated 1911 still lists the 4253 as 12½" with just vertical adjustment and adds mention it could be fitted to a Marlin 1894. I have not been able to date the later No 53 catalogs, the second one has a updated price list glued in and the last has the prices changed, all have the same page for the scope with it now listed as 14" and with horizontal adjustment but the last one has it stamped 'DISCONTINUED'. There also are several other uses listed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You can see that the scope is pictured set quite far forward. It has very good optics and has a full field view with eye relief any where between about 2½" to 3¾", I find that impressive for this old of a scope. It has cross hairs and not the post as mentioned in the early catalogs.

This shows the hole spacing in the rear mount does not match a 425 or a Marlin 1894 drilled & tapped for a Hepburn sight.
[Linked Image]

For the Marlin the rear mount would have to be milled to set lower -
[Linked Image]

It looks like it would line up on a 425 if the front mount had the dovetail milled down to fit a 425 (the picture was taken at a slight angle which is why it does not appear to line up).
[Linked Image]

Gene
GB1

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The earliest literature I have with the split dovetail mounts is a 1919 dated pocket catalog, note the mounts show a 'V' notch in the top, I think this was required with all Stevens scopes except this one, as was a spring which this mount has no provisions for, it's the only Stevens scope with any internal adjustment I know of so this front mount seems to be specific for use on this scope even though it might date a few years later than the scope.
[Linked Image]

Here are what more typical Stevens front mounts look like and also how the model numbers are usually stamped -
[Linked Image]

There also were a couple of small pieces included that the seller said they were not sure if they belonged with the scope but the one piece fits the dovetailed rear mount perfectly with the same odd hole spacing on on it's top (but the bottom measures 1.125"). The smaller piece appears to be something added even later, the bottom of the tapered piece has been ground to fit it with just a little of the original curved surface left, enough to see it was originally curve two ways. The tapered pieces also is dovetailed vertically at the rear for something, possibly for a stop to position the mount.
[Linked Image]

I had an idea what this set-up might have originally fit (if the smaller piece were not included, I haven't a clue what it would fit with that). Thanks to help from cmhjohn I was able to test fit this mount to see if I was right (I won't be trying to modify it to fit a Stevens 425 now).

Last edited by GeneB; 10/04/15. Reason: removed note mentioning more pictures

Gene
GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
More pictures -

There was enough of the original contour left on the rear mount that it lined up without any problem, it did not require any shimming. There is nothing to keep the rear mount pieces from sliding in their dovetail so I think there is something missing, possibly something went in the unused vertical dovetail or there were special screws with taller heads -
[Linked Image]
With it's long eye relief this looks like it would work very well.

I also used the opportunity to finally see how well my Malcolm with a custom rear mount base fit, I have posted pictures of this before but had never had it on a rifle, the custom rear mount could use a little more fitting, there is a little gap in the middle -
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also just acquired another Stevens scope, one that's more my thing. It has some non-Stevens mounts of unknown origin, they look similar to Sidle mounts, but they could just be something custom. The rifle it's pictured on just happened to be handy, it will not stay on that one.
[Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fantastic Gene. I really enjoy reading your posts. Always so much information.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's neat stuff! Awfully close to touching the receiver ring on the 1899, the Malcom looks much better.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed! It's always good to expand one's knowledge about such esoteric things. I wonder how many of these I wandered past at gun shows over the years, out of ignorance.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gene, once again, thanks for all you bring to the 'fire!

Just fascinating to me!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gene, thanks for sharing...it made my morning. Do you think this was a special order for an 1899? Maybe the rear vertical dovetail be for an adjustable peep sight?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

GeneB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rick, I really don't know anymore than already stated, this detail of the last catalog description is interesting.
[Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for posting all that information and the pictures Gene. Hopefully I'll get to see these again at a future Fest.

IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.