Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just wish they would put a [m-70] safety on the left side of the bolt. It would be in the perfect place for a right handed shooter. Kind of like early commercial Mauser safeties only horizontal instead of vertical.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whether Ruger, Remington, or Winchester, I very rarely use a safety; there's no reason to load one until you're ready, or just about, so the safety very rarely gets used. It's a non-factor though I do prefer the mid-point the wing allows on the Rugers and Winchesters. But then I do like to hunt with single shots sometimes if I have a good idea what I'm into on a hunt. (But certainly didn't wish for anything other than the stainless Classic M70 I carried on the last wet, beat-the-brush hunt. (For those who don't appreciate Tupperware stocks yet, the factory plastic on the older Classics sure works well when thrashing brush to annoy/entice big bulls.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
Lots of the Mauser action rifles have the two position thumb safetys, or you can go with an older Ruger tang safety model.

The Ruger tang safety model is not CRF.

Not a blanket statement......

Some are & some are not.

Seen both.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I liked the safety on my 77/17 in 17hmr. Never had an issue. If I am out hunting I always have a round in the chamber, shots can happen fast. If I had an empty chamber today I would not have harvested the wolf that I did. When I am out walking around I check the safety every so often, especially after going through any thick stuff. No problems so far.

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only safety that has ever bothered me are wing safeties on 98 and 96 mausers. The clearance between the safety wing and scope when on 'safe' can be a little tight when scopes are mounted low. I guess they can be modified to work, but it might not be as easy for some.

If a rifle feels good in my shoulder and it shoots well it does not really matter what safety the thing has. Most safeties on modern rifles works reasonably well and is not that difficult to manipulate.

Pieter

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only safeties that bother me are the ones where the safe is on and the bolt can open. I understand why they are designed that way, but don't like the possibility of the bolt lifting when walking through brush. Two or 3 position don't bother me as long as the bolt is locked down when on safe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like a true three position safety ala Mauser and Winchester Model 70, it locks the bolt and the middle position allows for quick field stripping, but the M70 safety is in the wrong place. It should extend behind the striker and swing right to left so the thumb can naturally push it off as you grasp the rifle.

The original Mauser safety was designed that way – right is locked, middle is safe but the bolt can open and full left is the fire position - so your thumb can push it off quickly as it wraps around the pistol grip. Placing it behind the striker keeps it under any scope and also helps keep it out of the way of being brushed off accidentally.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by azrancher
I just wish they would put a [m-70] safety on the left side of the bolt. It would be in the perfect place for a right handed shooter. Kind of like early commercial Mauser safeties only horizontal instead of vertical.

Fred

You and me both. Never seen it though. I seem to recall the Gentry advertised in left-hand, but don't know if that's for left-handed actions or people. John B. might know.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/05/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,234
Posts18,466,711
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.