Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
The ABS on my 2014 Tacoma have engaged on dry pavement on sharp corners a couple times without my foot on the brake. Feels like hitting the "rumble strip" only most of the roads where it has happened don't have a rumble strip.

I had some doubts, thought maybe a little loose gravel, maybe I'd tapped the brakes without realizing it ... I drive pretty instinctively.

Saturday removed the doubt. 70-75 on the interstate with cruise control set. Cornering pretty hard but not excessively so. Freaked the sh*t out of me.

Of course it's going back into the dealership, no need to suggest that. smile I mean "yeah, duh".

I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had a little different problem with the brakes on my 2005 Tundra, right after a service with tire rotation the antilocks starting kicking in with very light braking/slow speeds, but no reason for that antilock to activate. Turned out to be a contaminated sensor in left front brake - piece of rust gotnin during service. Not same problem as yours, but maybe similar cause?

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Maybe. Worth checking. Thanks!

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup. Clean the sensors. Probably contaminated with rust or metal fragments. If you had an open circuit sensor, your ABS light would be on.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have the 2014 4 door TRD and no issues so far(knock on wood)

IC B2

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I talked to the dealership ... they say "yaw sensor". I can't imagine a truck with a yaw sensor but the way I was hitting the corners, if it had such a thing I might well have tripped it.

Been thinkin' I oughta check tire pressure, none are complaining but still could be lower than I like.

I've got the 4 door T(u?)RD offroad, 5 foot bed. A bad choice I made for good reasons. I don't really like it but if it'll behave I'll probably keep it a long time 'cause there really aren't many better choices. I'd like a full size but I won't settle for an automatic transmission.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I talked to the dealership ... they say "yaw sensor". I can't imagine a truck with a yaw sensor but the way I was hitting the corners, if it had such a thing I might well have tripped it.

Huh. Maybe its part of the some stability control system in newer vehicles?

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep. They said something about the "taller tires" (I switched from stock 265x70-16s to 265x75-16s, a whole half inch.) maybe requiring a recalibration of the yaw sensor.

If it was a huge change with a suspension lift I'd be more inclined to think they're right. Sounds like ass covering and a way to separate me from another $115 or so.

OTOH, having it do that at 65-70-75 on a sharp freeway corner sucks 'cause it did a vicious understeer and turned a quarter turn ... in my own lane, but still, if I'd had wet pavement it might have gotten ugly.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 32 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,716
Posts18,457,094
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.