Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jcubed
I think we have all learned something from this thread...

Valsdad aka Geno is hilarious!

Gee, thanks, there you campfire fellas go agin', insultin' a man for tryin to make a serious point!

Some old dead guy once said something like "I resemble that remark" (One of the Three Stooges according to some reports) (By the way, methinks we have WAY more than THREE of those stooges around here! wink )

And go ahead, keep pickin' on me,

I've been called worse, lots worse grin

Geno

PS, in case y'all haven't noticed, there's lots of funny folks on here. And not "funny" that way, get your minds out of that pattern. And quit bein' phobic too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by battue
Think about that for a second Doc and then tell me how God thinks we should hunt.

Nude?

Schitfaced?

Out of season?

Help me out. Where are you going with this please.

Travis

Travis (I see it's Travis today, not Dave, or Clark?)

Please refer to my earlier post, pg 2:

"Or better yet, like some "primtive" peoples hunt, naked except for a "nutsack" tied to a string around your waste while using a blowgun to harvest a spruce chicken (no I DO NOT want to see pics of any of you other old dude take me up on this!! ) "

This is the established proper attire for grouse hunting, but only after Oct 1 when it gets cold enough. If you are hunting earlier in the season (or out of season?) you should wear heavy wool. Or better yet fur. Unless you are hunting down Missoula way. Or most other college towns for that matter. The anti hunters down there will KILL you for wearing fur. Fur is murder you know.

No s--tfaced hunting allowed. In the first place one is not supposed to fall into the cow flops there in your great state. One should dry them for winter fuel. In the second place, being s--tfaced could be considered a form of camoflogging (not camel flogging, different thing altogether) and not allowed, unsporting, the grouses might not see you sneakin up in your string and nutsack with your blowgun.

G'day for you's (Australian/Brooklynese translation of GFY),

Geno

PS, it's a pleasure to see that you and 'slave have decided to join our repartee.

PPS, I hope the boy is doing well and you're shielding his eyes from this awful place by taking him to lots of cool places to maybe get some tasty critters.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
I killed one with my COCK.
Was that wrong?
I got the COCK from God, BTW.
I named it 870......AI, of course.

wageslave,

A fine how do you do to you today (easier to type than to say fast).

We must be expecting a change in the weather as I can smell the mill some miles downriver from the "seaport" this morning.

Now, as to your post. you got it from God, it is an AI, therefor logically that PROVES that Mr Ackley was an incarnation of some supreme being.

I knew it. I'm going to go out and AI my .50 cal sidelock! Anyone know a capable smith? One that won't just take my rifle , polish some junk on it, maybe clean it even, and tell me "sure, she's all AI'd now and ready to go. I test fired it out the back window even." eek

In it is contentment

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Gino,

I missed that as I typically only read my own posts.

I've killed piles of stuff with my blowgun. It's a slow and silent killer.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paddler

Two, I like Ruger Number 1s. I had own two of them, a 257 Roberts and a 375 H&H. Couldn't tolerate the vertical stringing and so sold them. Cool guns, though.

You're doing it wrong... smirk

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, them blowguns are deadly.

Except they don't 'splode critters like a good softpoint.

Unless you're using the AI version blowgun. grin

Geno

PS, no pics of you hunting nekkid with your "blowgun". Unless you were out hunting with some cute honey and you crop the pic so's we don't see you in it. laugh

PPS, I'm gonna start a new topic over in the "Manners and Civility" forum of the 'fire. (I know, you've never seen that one on your list, RicBin is blocking it from you as he doesn't want to offend the nice folks over there wink ).

I think I will title it "when Travis is going to start playing nice and read other people's stuff... The end date of the Angkor Watt calendar" (what the hell, the Mayan end of days was a big flop, why not Cambodia this time around!)

In it is contentment

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Guess I'm just old school. I hike for grouse, following my shorthair, carrying a double gun. Shoot them on the wing only. You know, the way a sportsman does it. If they make it to a tree they get a pass.

More Liberal open mindedness.

Never met anyone as narrow as a Liberal facist like Paddler. Happy to tell everyone what to do and how to do it.

Elitism in its purest form.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a very nice afternoon. Convinced my wife, who is by no means an outdoorsy type, to go for a ride to see the Fall colors. She even allowed me to take the dog and a gun along. I took her up to the mountains east of here, about 9500'. She took the photos. First, a good dog on point:

[Linked Image]

Next, a funny looking guy with a dusky grouse of the year, taken on the wing with a SxS, just like God intended:

[Linked Image]

Last, a lovely little 20 gauge Piotti Westlake. This isn't as ornate as a King I, but is every bit as well made on the inside where it counts. It just may be my favorite gun:

[Linked Image]

To answer a couple of previous questions. No, I don't catch and release much. I fish for just a few types of fish, all of which I like to eat. When I catch them, they go for a boat ride. We put about 600# of albacore in my boat in two days of fishing this year. Could have caught more, but I only have a limited cooler space and ice capacity. Since tuna can be 25F warmer than water temp, cooling is extremely important in order to produce sashimi grade fish. That means a flake ice/salt water slurry, so ~15 fish is all I can hold.

Two, I like Ruger Number 1s. I had own two of them, a 257 Roberts and a 375 H&H. Couldn't tolerate the vertical stringing and so sold them. Cool guns, though.

Beautiful country, dog, and fowling piece there.

Regarding the "intention" of the "Universal Power that Is" ( God or maybe another appellation, depending on one's belief system).

I'm not sure but my thinking lies along the lines that the intention was for us to treat our fellows on this planet as we would like to be treated. To respect the planet we were given ("His" creation, provided to us for free... See also "The Holy Earth" for ideas also). And maybe to make sure we do our best at dispatching our food without causing undue pain and suffering?

The intentions of a "Universal Ruler" have never been given directly to me, so I'm not always certain what they are. I attempt to do my best. Others attempt to dictate to me what they understand those intentions to be based on various pieces of literature and perhaps "word of mouth" information they have recieved. One thing I am fairly certain of, one of the intentions was for me to use my "free will" ( a line of thought based on my upbringing? mmm?) and "God given" intelligence (little tho there be) to determine a way through the world.

I'm not sure about the intention being that birds are only shot "on the wing", perhaps only with a double gun? If you were not trying to offend others here, we have these little "winky" and "smily" things available that let readers know we're joshing a bit. Take this with a "grain of salt". I'm trying to "get your goat", or "pull your leg".

If you really believe that grouse should ONLY be taken on the wing, preferably behind a good dog (why not a bad dog, are you being discriminatory? smile ) may I ask you a question?

If you are serious about thinking believing it is unsporting to use other methods, do you petition or lobby your state game agency to regulate grouse hunting to ONLY allow the methods you percieve as sporting? That way everyone could be on the same page, except for certain scofflaws.

Enjoy your fine double there, would that "God's intention" was for me to win the lootery so I could afford one. And the dog and the time away from work so I would have more time to spend with the dog, and my wife who probably would tell me "drive your own d--n self to the hunting woods" .

I think the intention right now is for me to continue to do my best and maybe hunt within my own ethics and ideas of "sportsmanship".

Good day and thanks for the pics.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

You're doing it wrong... smirk

[Linked Image]

T&C,

that's some delicious figure in that wood. Factory?

Must be McSwirly grade walnut grin

Geno

In it is contentment

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Had a very nice afternoon. Convinced my wife, who is by no means an outdoorsy type, to go for a ride to see the Fall colors. She even allowed me to take the dog and a gun along. I took her up to the mountains east of here, about 9500'. She took the photos. First, a good dog on point:

[Linked Image]

Next, a funny looking guy with a dusky grouse of the year, taken on the wing with a SxS, just like God intended:

[Linked Image]

Last, a lovely little 20 gauge Piotti Westlake. This isn't as ornate as a King I, but is every bit as well made on the inside where it counts. It just may be my favorite gun:

[Linked Image]

To answer a couple of previous questions. No, I don't catch and release much. I fish for just a few types of fish, all of which I like to eat. When I catch them, they go for a boat ride. We put about 600# of albacore in my boat in two days of fishing this year. Could have caught more, but I only have a limited cooler space and ice capacity. Since tuna can be 25F warmer than water temp, cooling is extremely important in order to produce sashimi grade fish. That means a flake ice/salt water slurry, so ~15 fish is all I can hold.

Beautiful country, dog, and fowling piece there.

Regarding the "intention" of the "Universal Power that Is" ( God or maybe another appellation, depending on one's belief system).

I'm not sure but my thinking lies along the lines that the intention was for us to treat our fellows on this planet as we would like to be treated. To respect the planet we were given ("His" creation, provided to us for free... See also "The Holy Earth" for ideas also). And maybe to make sure we do our best at dispatching our food without causing undue pain and suffering?

The intentions of a "Universal Ruler" have never been given directly to me, so I'm not always certain what they are. I attempt to do my best. Others attempt to dictate to me what they understand those intentions to be based on various pieces of literature and perhaps "word of mouth" information they have recieved. One thing I am fairly certain of, one of the intentions was for me to use my "free will" ( a line of thought based on my upbringing? mmm?) and "God given" intelligence (little tho there be) to determine a way through the world.

I'm not sure about the intention being that birds are only shot "on the wing", perhaps only with a double gun? If you were not trying to offend others here, we have these little "winky" and "smily" things available that let readers know we're joshing a bit. Take this with a "grain of salt". I'm trying to "get your goat", or "pull your leg".

If you really believe that grouse should ONLY be taken on the wing, preferably behind a good dog (why not a bad dog, are you being discriminatory? smile ) may I ask you a question?

If you are serious about thinking believing it is unsporting to use other methods, do you petition or lobby your state game agency to regulate grouse hunting to ONLY allow the methods you percieve as sporting? That way everyone could be on the same page, except for certain scofflaws.

Enjoy your fine double there, would that "God's intention" was for me to win the lootery so I could afford one. And the dog and the time away from work so I would have more time to spend with the dog, and my wife who probably would tell me "drive your own d--n self to the hunting woods" .

I think the intention right now is for me to continue to do my best and maybe hunt within my own ethics and ideas of "sportsmanship".

Good day and thanks for the pics.

Geno

The "God intended" was, of course, tongue in cheek. Ruger used to put really nice wood on the No 1s. I could shoot a good group, then one with vertical stringing. The inconsistence was frustrating, so I sold mine. Before doing so, I killed a deer with the 375H&H. It was very decisive.

I don't shoot ducks on the water, upland birds sitting, and think doing so isn't sportsmanlike. It shouldn't be encouraged. It's okay, I guess, for novices, but experienced, skilled hunters should hold themselves to a higher standard. Or relegate themselves to the bush leagues.

Last edited by Paddler; 10/05/15.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

It is only fitting that America's finest game bird only deserves to be shot-flying, sluiced or sitting-with something made in America.

Only one persons opinion, but I think those who feel otherwise are bush.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Where did you get the grouse bugle? That thing is uber!

[Linked Image]

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Little known facts about grouse are what call works to bring them into decoys. Many bird hunters use unfair tactics with pointing dogs and don't understand the virtues of calling grouse and which decoys to use. To make it more sporting a S&W upland special adds to the experience...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This whinin' about shootin' on the ground, air, mid leap, wheelguns, #1s and horizontal O/Us is silly.

I get my birds on the wing without a gun.

[Linked Image]

Keeping them off the ground after slaughter is an acquired skill.

Got to go sharpen my knife,

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
This whinin' about shootin' on the ground, air, mid leap, wheelguns, #1s and horizontal O/Us is silly.

I get my birds on the wing without a gun.

[Linked Image]

Keeping them off the ground after slaughter is an acquired skill.

Got to go sharpen my knife,

Dan

Well at least it's a bit easier on the hardware than for those moose hunters in Maine that use Toyota Corolla "rifles" wink

And to be completely sporting, one should try bird hunting like some folks do...

Take them out of the sky with your "Piper Cub"

Joking..
You folks stay safe out there and enjoy your "hunts" whichever legal method you chose to use.

Geno

In it is contentment

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Never tried grouse.....cooks up about like pheasant? or a bit sweeter, like quail?

googled some recipes and about half of them had bacon and the other half had mushrooms, so either way its gotta be good....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2011/01/recipe-how-cook-roast-grouse-mushrooms

============================================================

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

T&C,

that's some delicious figure in that wood. Factory?

Must be McSwirly grade walnut grin

Geno

Yes, it's factory wood from 1977.

This one is from 1976...it does not string vertically, either smirk

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Never tried grouse.....cooks up about like pheasant? or a bit sweeter, like quail?

googled some recipes and about half of them had bacon and the other half had mushrooms, so either way its gotta be good....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2011/01/recipe-how-cook-roast-grouse-mushrooms

I use it like chicken, well because it tastes like chicken laugh , grouse tacos, grouse cordon bleu, grouse curry, etc.

Here is a blackened grouse Alfredo, served with the appropriate beverage.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stormin_Norman; 10/06/15.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That would be better with beer!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
That would be better with beer!

You just don't understand proper beer etiquette when your serving a gourmet meal prepared by a master chef laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.