Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who can do a good job reblueing a 99? I imagine most any 'smith set up to blue can do it - I just want to make sure it goes back together right!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any can do it... but who can get the blue close to right? Too many do the glossy blue. Right up there with recoil pads imho unless it's a rainy weather hunter.

Need to find somebody who won't buff off the letters and edges, and can do a good comparable blue to the original.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, many modern hot blue finishes, to me, have a real dark tint; almost black. Most of the 30-50s vintage 99s seem to have a more silver or grey tint - and I'm not talking about blue wear. Maybe someone on the Gunsmithing forum can explain the process used by Savage. There is a bluing question currently posted with a couple answers.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the time period (serial range) of the rifle you want reblued?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
JTC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Doing the blueing is not necessarily the biggest concern, but how good are the skills of who you choose at polishing. I have seen too many that call themselves gunsmiths ruin a good rifle because they don't keep corners, edges, flat surfaces flat and other features nice and sharp. To many just want to polish to a high luster and in their process dub off many features as they polish. Choose wisely. JTC

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
To do it right, IMO, it has to be polished by hand with stiff backers behind the abrasives, to preserve the sharp edges and lettering referred to above. After that, I feel rust bluing is the only way to duplicate the charcoal grey of post-WWI Savages. If you wish to duplicate the high gloss blued receivers of pre-WWI, then you had better send it off to someone like Turnbull who has made a career out of duplicating exotic finishes of that nature.

To buff with wheels and then throw it in a hot blue tank puts you squarely in the ranks of "Bubbas R Us". (Although I guess it would be appropriate to do so with post-mil guns, as well as using Krylon, cerakote, and Sears WeatherBeater house paint for same.)

Rust bluing has made a comeback of sorts in recent years. No longer is it necessarily a boutique service, as more and more artisans offer the service, and more and more discerning gun owners are demanding it. The neat thing too is that anybody with a modicum of skills can execute it at home, in the kitchen if need be.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rick99
What is the time period (serial range) of the rifle you want reblued?

It is pre-1 mil. I think the orig barrel was an "F".

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bubbas R Us - I'm pretty sure I've seen that shingle flapping in the breeze before. Oh yeah, he messed up a Browning Hi-Power trigger job. I don't have that pistol anymore but that's another story for another day. But still, ya gotta like the name of an establishment like that.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a fan of reblueing guns, but I had a very very good reblue done on a 99 by Dick Williams Gunshop near Saginaw, MI. They are an old-time shop run by people who understand their work. I highly recommend them.

http://www.dickwilliamsgunshop.com

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do you have any pictures to post?

"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The barrel is "in the white" and I haven't put the forearm stud in yet. Also I have to pull the barrel again and deepen the extractor notch. It is too shallow and puts a bit of stress on the extractor when the lever is fully closed. I also might trim the barrel length before bluing. I'm thinking 21"-22", it is 23.5" now.
Once I get the metal work done I want it blued and reassembled correctly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How are you going to stock it. Interesting project you have there.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget to take off the lever, it shouldn't be blued.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steve99
Don't forget to take off the lever, it shouldn't be blued.

Thanx - I did not know that.

I have a laminate set for it. I'll get pix up when I get home.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not exactly "traditional" but I like it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe not traditional but a good choice for making a modern interpretation of the 99. Who made the stock set and do they make different patterns/colors of laminated stocks? Thanks.

Last edited by S99VG; 10/20/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
A few/several years back someone made a batch of laminates for the 99 and I believe several campfire folks bought them.

Aren't they on the heavy side?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
They tend to be, and are fugly, IMO, on a classic rifle. But they are very stable indeed (and bloody hard on checkering tools).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not that big of a fan of laminated stocks but for something modern you either go that way or go synthetic. I only know of one synthetic maker of 99 stocks and they are pricey. I like traditional but I also appreciate any good execution of rifle design/redesign.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bought a blank from Boyd's and had Dave in MN cut the 99 pattern. He does outstanding work and I'll use him again on future projects.
He goes by "inthe10ring" over on Mauser Central.

I know they are ugly to some but when most folks zig, I zag. A bit heavier than walnut, but not enough to bother me. Very durable and easy to touch up if you damage them. I've heard the glue is tough on checkering tools, this stock will be smooth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,550
Posts18,453,577
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.