Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday I went to a gun show with absolutely no intentions of buying anything. I have way too many irons in the fire right now (gun related stuff and life in general) and I've gotten to the point that very little easily obtainable stuff gets me fired up anyway. I had no cash to speak of handy and just went to tag along with my buddy who was on a mission to find a particular handgun, which he found. We paid our $8 admission and started down the first isle when three tables in, this .444 jumped out and grabbed me. I saw it and hoped it was a .45-70, which I do not want and could have painlessly walked away from. A .444 has always been on my "list" but I kept putting it off because they were common and easy to get. Then the Remington fiasco happened and "good" Marlins got scarce and went through the roof. Clean, "good" .444s have gotten ridiculous on GunBroker and I just kind of pushed a .444 out of my mind, until yesterday. This one was as clean as new and obviously had a little age on it because of the lack of safety and its uncheckered wood, which I much prefer. He had $650 on it, which seemed reasonable in these times of "JM Marlin" madness. But alas, I only had a couple hundred on me and I don't do ATMs so I walked. The thought of it haunted me all night. I knew I'd never find a cleaner specimen for that dough and had it been a weekday, I'd have gone to the bank. Ashamed to say that during church this morning, my mind kept drifting back to the Marlin. After I took the wife and my mom to lunch, I had a thought. A good friend had a table at the show so I called him on his cell and asked him to go ask the seller for a phone number so I could contact him if he still had the gun. He did and while he was talking to the guy, he asked him (without my prompting) if he was firm and I heard him say "I'll take $600." On a whim, I asked Chuck to ask him if he'd take a personal check, which I doubted. I was surprised when he said he would, so I asked Chuck to ask him to hold it for an hour so I could go home and fetch the check book and drive back to the fairgrounds. So I paid him half cash and wrote a check for the other $300 and brought it home.

Honestly, I think it is unfired. It is a pre-safety 444S, dates to 1979 and still has the factory screws in the top of the receiver and the sticker on the forend. A few tiny little insignificant marks on the stock is all I can find. It has a sling that looks similar to the original Marlin slings but does not have the Marlin stamp, so may not be original.

I "needed" another brush gun like I need woman trouble but life would have been hard to face had I let this one go. I'm sure no of you have ever felt that way, have you???

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It looks awfully good. Like you, though, I'd have a hard time talking myself into another rifle right now.

I just never liked the .444, couldn't see much use for it. Still don't, in fact. That's me, though, and not you, so I'm not criticizing your choice.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! Great looking rifle!.....Good luck....Hb

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The nicest .444 I seen bought in a long time.....great snag.

Doc

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Congrats SCGunNut, you done good. That rifle is pristine and the wood to metal fitting looks to be excellent judging from the photos. Like you, I prefer no checkering and no cross-bolt safety. My only personal nitpick is, I've never really liked white line spacers. An article I read about the 444 back when I was in high school captured my imagination and so my first rifle purchase was a .444 Marlin with ballard rifling. It has checkering and cross-bolt safety. Later, I purchased a first year produced 1965 444 Marlin. Still have both.

Now you just have to get some brass which has become scarce. Maybe you will luck out and find some locally. It can be rather pricey on gunbroker. Here in Texas, I had not seen any factory Remington 444 ammo on the shelves for several years. However, I saw five boxes of it on the shelf at Gander Mountain a few weeks ago for a mere $55/box shocked. Despite that high price, maybe the presence of it in the store is an indication that Remington may have caught up on some of the ammo backlog and will perhaps resume making seasonal runs for cartridges like the 444 Marlin and 35 Rem.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Now you just have to get some brass which has become scarce. Maybe you will luck out and find some locally. It can be rather pricey on gunbroker. Here in Texas, I had not seen any factory Remington 444 ammo on the shelves for several years. However, I saw five boxes of it on the shelf at Gander Mountain a few weeks ago for a mere $55/box shocked. Despite that high price, maybe the presence of it in the store is an indication that Remington may have caught up on some of the ammo backlog and will perhaps resume making seasonal runs for cartridges like the 444 Marlin and 35 Rem.

Luckily, I work in a gun shop and we are well stocked on .444 ammo. I'll get around to rolling my own but in the meantime, I'll shoot the Hornady 265 gr Flat Point, that they've seen fit to discontinue in favor of the FTX, which I have no interest in. Luckily, we still have some of the FP stuff, along with some Buffalo bore with the 270 Gold Dot and the run of the mill Remington 240s.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lucky you. That's great. I still have a few boxes of Hornady 265 FP bullets and enough Remington 444 brass to last a couple of lifetimes.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You did just great!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a good looking rifle. It's fun when you stumble into fun stuff.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
you did good and thankfully hornady is still making 265 fp your seeing them more and more.my 444ss is a tack driver as i'm sure you will probably find yours the same

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it's a curious life indeed, I managed to snag a similar rifle in .44 mag

ran an excavator from 7:30 a.m. till 3:30 p.m. today, had a snack and a nap, while nappin I heard this swap shop on the TV that my sis was watching and the guy said he had the rifle.

woke me right up it did. Same as the OP's minus 1 .4 (grin)

few stock scratches, no checkering, no cross bolt safety. Was going to try and get him down to $600 but he was an old timer in not too great a digs, so I didn't even quibble, just gave him the seven bills he wanted and was on my way.

would have preferred the trapper version (forget what Marlin calls theirs) as have one in Win. mode pre safety that looks like it just rolled outa the factory.

I like old rifles and old men and women.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Markh
That's a good looking rifle. It's fun when you stumble into fun stuff.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
"Yesterday I went to a gun show with absolutely no intentions of buying anything...."
......I knew where this was going right from the start!
BTW - GREAT FIND! Perfect Marlin and fun caliber! I would have been all about it too!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Nice find.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ended up putting an older Burris 1.75-5x20 Fullfield heavy plex on it. It shoots the Hornady 265 gr FP into a little over an inch so I'd say it is a keeper.

Last edited by SCGunNut; 10/05/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's an awesome find, SCGunNut. Congrats!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice indeed. My bud has one just like it only maybe a tad older I think. Mine was made in early 90s.

I have taken deer and black bear with mine. All with 270 gr. Speer Gold Dots (Uni-cor) over H322. Excellent accuracy and terminal performance.

Enjoy.....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Very nice indeed. My bud has one just like it only maybe a tad older I think. Mine was made in early 90s.

I have taken deer and black bear with mine. All with 270 gr. Speer Gold Dots (Uni-cor) over H322. Excellent accuracy and terminal performance.

Enjoy.....

2muchgun,

Where have you been hiding?? Glad to see you back.

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why thank you Doc. Yes I took a small hiatus from the internet. But all is fine.

Right now I'm hiding 20 ft up in a tree staring at 4 does and about 20 turkeys and hoping a shooter buck comes along.

Good to hear from you.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.