Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Last trip to the range I was surprised that 2 of my magazines would not push up the slide stop enough to lock back the slide, either on the last round or when I manually worked the slide with an empty magazine. A half dozen other mags I tried worked just fine. The followers appear to be going all the way to the top of the mags. I can't recall ever having that happen before or reading of it. Suggestions? New follower? New spring? Maybe I should do a better job of cleaning the inside of the mags? Something else?

Two different brands of mags for my 1911, both I've owned and used for years without problem.

Thanks in advance.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Try all of the above but the very few magazines that have developed that problem for me have been cured with just slight bending of the part of the follower that pushes up on the slide stop...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are some magazines where you can put the spring in backward and it will cause such a problem. Other than that, it could require a slight tweaking of the follower (depending on what brand of magazine we're talking about) or it could just be that your springs have taken an extreme set. Most springs won't wear that far, but you will sometimes run into a magazine spring that will take more of a set. If it's not a simple tweak of the follower, I'd order up a new spring for the magazine and you'll be good to go.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks gents, after fooling with them a bit tonight, I think I'll just order new McCormick followers and Wolfe springs. Followers bent too easy and wouldn't hold, acted like metal fatigue. $30 and I'll have 2 like-new mags.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only about a half dozen magazines for my 1911's. The best ones are the pair of 7-round military magazines. All the others look exactly alike except for the brand stamped into them and I have minor problems with all of them.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by norske
I have only about a half dozen magazines for my 1911's. The best ones are the pair of 7-round military magazines. All the others look exactly alike except for the brand stamped into them and I have minor problems with all of them.
Same here. I only use military spec 1911 mags. Mine are all from Metalform. Traditional dimpled followers and seven round capacity. Problem free.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When I was using the 1911 in a serious capacity, I tried all sorts of magazines, and magazine combinations.

I found that I had very little luck in the way of USGI type magazines, regardless of maker. The fixed floorplate, metal GI follower just isnt relevant with the advances in magazine design.

For out of the box mags, I found the Novak/ACT and Metalform folded metal follower mags to work very well. CMC Powermags were pretty decent, but occasionally had to tweak the split follower. Wilsons always worked wll for a while, but the springs became weak.

For duty mags, I finally settled on CMC Powermag tubes, with Tripp Research springs and followers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.